No More Guards in this Recruiting Class

So we comfortable with 1, possibly 2, walk on's backing up the point guard in an up tempo style of play? Honestly I even question how effective Cully will be in the up tempo game as it did not seem to take much to trap him when opposing teams pressed us.

Is it possible that the coaches have determined that Ware, a one year player, is not worth the potential negative impact on the team's graduation rate?

How would this impact the graduation rate?

Is it a situation where he has one year of eligiblity and can have enough credits to be elegible but won't have enough to graduate after this year?

Without another decent PG we will struggle to win 10 games again next year. It's going to be tough to recruit to a program that is that horrible. I still can't believe we lost Salter to Hawaii.....its only one recruit, but it certainly isn't a ringing endorsement to our ability to recruit players if we are losing them to WAC schools.

So we comfortable with 1, possibly 2, walk on's backing up the point guard in an up tempo style of play? Honestly I even question how effective Cully will be in the up tempo game as it did not seem to take much to trap him when opposing teams pressed us.

According to about 50-60% of the people on here walk-ons would have solved many of Lickliter's problems. I hate having walk-ons on the team. One, it means you don't have enough players. Two, if any of these walk-ons appear in a game prior to the last 1 minute of non-conference games your team is in serious trouble.

We can't afford to sacrifice a year. Good players want to play on good teams. I will be a little miffed if we don't sign Coco for one year. We have the scholarships available. The kid is here for one year max. He gets a degree from a Big10 institution, we get an insurance policy and a warm body on the bench.

I agree....what quality player wants to commit to a team with back to back 10 win seasons? None.

At least this kid had scholarship offers to D1 schools (Sacramento State and Buffalo) versus the walk on Lick was getting in his own son and a kid that turned down a DII scholarship. You lose nothing bringing him in as a walk on but I cannot believe they are going into next year with a walk on as a backup point guard.

At least this kid had scholarship offers to D1 schools (Sacramento State and Buffalo) versus the walk on Lick was getting in his own son and a kid that turned down a DII scholarship. You lose nothing bringing him in as a walk on but I cannot believe they are going into next year with a walk on as a backup point guard.

Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against walk-ons...but come on...we are going to be terrible next year if this is the lineup we are going with. Why not just sign Coco for 1 year....if he sucks then its no big deal cuz he isn't taking up a spot the next year.

How would this impact the graduation rate?

Is it a situation where he has one year of eligiblity and can have enough credits to be elegible but won't have enough to graduate after this year?

I am thinking that each kid that is brought in is given a certain amount of time to graduate, the time depending on whether they come from HS or transfer in from another school. With Ware having just one year to play, it may be unlikely that he spends at least two year at Iowa earning a degree.

I hope we grab Coco or any other possible contributor for next year at guard. I agree that next year's record will be bad ,but we want to mitigate the damage as much as possible,look competitive, get the home buzz back at least,as we continue to woo recruits for 2011 and beyond.
Next year is important to prove to the fanbase and recruits that fran's plan can work with proper talent. That will be hard to sell if we are losing by 30 pts.

I hope we grab Coco or any other possible contributor for next year at guard. I agree that next year's record will be bad ,but we want to mitigate the damage as much as possible,look competitive, get the home buzz back at least,as we continue to woo recruits for 2011 and beyond.
Next year is important to prove to the fanbase and recruits that fran's plan can work with proper talent. That will be hard to sell if we are losing by 30 pts.

Absolutely spot on. I don't want to be bringing in 2011-12 recruits and have them see us get blown out by 30+ on our home floor with 3k people in attendance. It will be tough to get talent here if that is what it's like next year.

FM needs to win this year! We know now that isn't going to be on the court, so he will have to do it by recruiting. He will have to sign at least one All-Big Ten type player and a couple high three star guys, or 2 4 star guys and a couple of threes. People keep talking about Paige needing to see playing time. What he will need to see is someone he will want to play with.

Sorry, but McCabe, May, Cougill, etc., are not going to draw Paige here. FM needs a rainmaker of the likes Iowa hasn't seen in a long time.

Finally, if I hear one more build it slow like KF comment I will puke. In football you have 88 players and you only need 22 to field an offense and defense. That means you can sit a player for three years while that player develops physically. If you have a really, really good basketball team you can sit a player one year at the most before that player needs to make am impact. Iowa doesn't have a really good team. It is just a very uninformed perspective. I have gone to great lengths to show that good coaches turn programs around quickly. This always comes from a quick turnaround in recruiting. In the last five years only two new coaching hires did not have a strong recruiting class in the first two seasons and then were able to build a strong class - Montgomery at Cal and Horn at South Carolina. Every other coach started well or has fizzled.

Do all the transfers from Lickliter's era count against Iowa's graduation rate? Is that possibly why the sudden (apparent) lack of interest in another JUCO guard?

Do all the transfers from Lickliter's era count against Iowa's graduation rate? Is that possibly why the sudden (apparent) lack of interest in another JUCO guard?

It only counts against us if they weren't on track to graduate on time. I have no idea of the academic situation of them however.

I'm guessing this may not go well for some, but I would not be surprised to see Eric May slide over to the point position if necessary.

I can't tell if this is serious or not? If it is serious I am going to have to ask if you have ever watched an Iowa game before.

I agree that getting off to a terrible start doesn't help recruiting, but how do we know that Coco Ware is that much better that Mccarty that it will actually lead to more wins. Where are Ware's offers from? Are they that much more impressive?

I agree that getting off to a terrible start doesn't help recruiting, but how do we know that Coco Ware is that much better that Mccarty that it will actually lead to more wins. Where are Ware's offers from? Are they that much more impressive?
No the offers arent any more impressive.

Latest posts