NIT Bubble Watch

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Teams Iowa needs to lose - LSU, New Mex St, Oregon St, Ohio, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, UMASS, LaSalle

Again, outside chance for Iowa. They need these teams to lose. UMASS won today already.

Teams Iowa needs to lose - LSU, New Mex St, Oregon St, Ohio, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, UMASS, LaSalle

Again, outside chance for Iowa. They need these teams to lose. UMASS won today already.

Friday:
LSU - L
NMSt - 7:00pm
OSU - 8:00pm
Ohio - 8:30pm
Minn - 5:30pm
VaTech - 6:00pm
UMass - W
LaSalle - 5:30pm
Maryland - L

gosh I wish we had some hope of getting an NIT bid but I just do not see it. The RPI is going to be in the 130s and they do consider the RPI.

We need to be big Michigan fans tonight. If the NIT wants 2 teams from the Big10 it's critical that they lose and stay below 20 wins.

RPI is a joke. How can be we so low with 4 wins over top #25 opponents and NW is so high with 1 win over a top #25.

Because Iowa played bad teams in the non-conf and those bad teams played other bad teams - that right there hurts... but to have lost to some of those bad teams was deadly to the RPI. Can't lose at home to Campbell, Clemson, Nebraska, Penn State. Just can't.

Need not look further than that.

Because Iowa played bad teams in the non-conf and those bad teams played other bad teams - that right there hurts... but to have lost to some of those bad teams was deadly to the RPI. Can't lose at home to Campbell, Clemson, Nebraska, Penn State. Just can't.

Need not look further than that.

We beat PSU at home but yeah those games hurt. But shouldn't our 4 wins verse top 25 teams balance that out a bit and should NW be penalized for not being able to knock off higher rated teams.

How less impressive would this season look if we traded our Campbell, Clemson, Nebraska, and Penn State losses for 2 Wisconsin, 1 Indiana and 1 Michigan wins. Would we have a higher RPI if we traded?

Last edited:
We beat PSU at home but yeah those games hurt. But shouldn't are 4 wins verse top 25 teams balance that out a bit and should NW be penalized for not being able to knock of higher rated teams.

How less impressive would this season look if we traded our Campbell, Clemson, Nebraska, and Penn State losses for 2 Wisconsin, 1 Indiana and 1 Michigan wins. Would we have a higher RPI if we traded?

It would be about the same. Our strength of schedule was really very weak even with Big 10 games factored in. That is what is hurting us a lot.

National SOS rank.

MSU - 1
OSU - 12
Mich - 13
NW - 14
Wisky - 22
Ill - 24
PSU - 25
Indiana - 28
Purdue - 29
Neb - 39
Minne - 42
Iowa - 78

I know that this is probably hopeless wishful thinking, but if the NIT really is using the NCAA selection rationale now, those guys are always talking about how they look at the "body of work" and not just one number. If there was ever a team that should prompt the committee to look past the RPI, it's this Iowa team, if only because their season has been to weird to evaluate with the blunt instrument that is RPI. Almost all of the other ranking systems (KenPom, Sagarin, etc.) have Iowa in the top 100 if not the top 90. I hope that at some point Gene Keady just takes over and says, look, this team was eighth in the best conference in the country, and you're going to put them in this damn field whether you like or not. C'mon, Gene.

Iowa's Resume:
17-16
8-10 BIG 10
RPI: 133
KenPom: 88
SOS: 78
Key Wins: @12Wisc, 13Mich, 15Ind, 12Wisc
Key Losses: Campbell, Nebraska, @PSU

*I wouldn't call Clemson a bad loss anymore. They are 16-15 and 8-8 in the ACC. Should we have won, yes. But they aren't as near as bad as Campbell, Nebraska or PSU

Last edited:
Iowa's Resume:17-168-10 BIG 10RPI: 133KenPom: 88SOS: 78Key Wins: @12Wisc, 13Mich, 15Ind, 12WiscKey Losses: Campbell, Nebraska, @PSU*I wouldn't call Clemson a bad loss anymore. They are 16-15 and 8-8 in the ACC. Should we have won, yes. But they aren't as near as bad as Campbell, Nebraska or PSU
think our big ten record will be seen as 9-11 which is better winning %.

The BT has 6 locks for the NCAA. NE, PSU and IL (lost 9 out of 10 and their coach) are done for the year. The Big Ten is the best conference this year. The NIT should want at least 2 BT teams. NW is a lock...going on the assumption they have little to no chance of making the NCAA. I think MN is highly probable.

We swept MN and have those 4 important wins. I don't think we're a lock but also don't think we are near the longshot many others do...say 65% chance. My prediction is that we make it and play a tough game on the road.

If make the NIT its almost assured we host a first round game.

I think someone posted that seeds 1-4 in NIT host games, and 5-8 are on road...if we are wringing our hands of being on the NIT bubble, might be a stretch to think Iowa would be a 1-4 seed?

Latest posts