Next Illini coach?

Shaka Smart or Lorenzo Romar

I moved to Seattle in '08. The Washington basketball team is the only one I've seem to have adopted, and primarily because of Romar. I'm a huge fan. He reminds me a lot of Mr. Davis. Always a gentlemen, well-spoken, high integrity, the kids seem to love him but also respect him, he plays a fun up and down style. He doesn't micro-manage the game, he doesn't scream or play games with his athletes.

In my mind, other than hiring a legend like a Coach K or Tom Izzo, Romar is as good as it gets in college basketball. I was dropping his name on this board a couple years ago, hoping that Iowa would throw a ton of cash at him and that for some reason he'd be restless.

That said, is there any reason in the world to think he'd go to Illinois?

I believe he's owed about $16 million at Washington. He's from California. He played at UW. He loves Seattle, he loves the university community, his daughter is a cheerleader for the basketball team. By all accounts, he's had opportunities for more money elsewhere. I can't see Illinois putting up $25 million/ 7 years kind of numbers, and even if they did, I don't think he'd take it.

I can't see much reason for him to have interest in the position.

I moved to Seattle in '08. The Washington basketball team is the only one I've seem to have adopted, and primarily because of Romar. I'm a huge fan. He reminds me a lot of Mr. Davis. Always a gentlemen, well-spoken, high integrity, the kids seem to love him but also respect him, he plays a fun up and down style. He doesn't micro-manage the game, he doesn't scream or play games with his athletes.

In my mind, other than hiring a legend like a Coach K or Tom Izzo, Romar is as good as it gets in college basketball. I was dropping his name on this board a couple years ago, hoping that Iowa would throw a ton of cash at him and that for some reason he'd be restless.

That said, is there any reason in the world to think he'd go to Illinois?

I believe he's owed about $16 million at Washington. He's from California. He played at UW. He loves Seattle, he loves the university community, his daughter is a cheerleader for the basketball team. By all accounts, he's had opportunities for more money elsewhere. I can't see Illinois putting up $25 million/ 7 years kind of numbers, and even if they did, I don't think he'd take it.

I can't see much reason for him to have interest in the position.

There's no reason he would go to Illinois. Jon was just throwing out random minority coaches.

3620509.jpeg

IRONY?

A name that hasn't been mentioned is Scott Drew from Baylor. He's a midwest guy, has family in Indiana,both parents are facing health challenges, big 12 is floundering and IL has deep pockets.

I can't see IL going out on a limb and hiring a coach from VCU or similar size school. They have to get an established coach with a name who can rejuvenate the program.

Illinois has tons of talent in their backyard, but no one in their backyard knows where Illinois is, or knows anything about Champaign Urbana, or ever watches their games, or has any allegiance whatsoever to the school.

And then they get to the school, and it smells like cow ****.

Look, I'm not saying that this is a bad job, but I am saying that the idea that this is an easy job is ********.

It's funny....the names being thrown out are the same as when Iowa was looking. My guess is they hire an under the radar, mid major guy that's ready to step up.

Brian Gregory @ Dayton = Steve Alford @ Iowa

There was dancing in the streets the day he took the Georgia Tech job. Anyone who thinks he was anything close to a hot commodity last year just wasn't paying attention, plain and simple. Unfortunately, it looks like Dayton got their Lickliter as well. Archie Miller has not appeared ready for primetime.

Barta had a swing and a miss with Lickliter and appars to have a home run with Fran. I hope we can find a way to catch Sparty napping today. Another game with Wisconsin would be intriguing.

Latest posts