Next Head Coach

I have said it before and will say it again. Tom Crean is waiting for another B1G job. I believe when he gets the opportunity he will set the B1G on fire. The guy has a fire in his belly that is quite obvious when you speak to him. The man in a fantastic developer of guards. Indiana was short sided and foolish for letting him go. Sure he had his share of downs, but he also won 2 B1G championships.

I'm telling anyone who will listen...Tom Crean could win a B1G championship next year with this Iowa team. The pieces are there. Oh by the way he also recruited 10 players ranked in the Top 50. Fran has just signed his first. He also did it all without a hint of scandal.

I'm telling anyone who will listen...Tom Crean could win a B1G championship next year with this Iowa team. The pieces are there
Stop it.

You’ve made a lot of outlandish statements on this board but that one might take the cake. You could have a staff of Coach K, Bill Self, and Greg Popovich (with no egos) and this team would not win the B1G title with this current roster. There are serious issues with this roster.

Edit: I’d take a shot with Crean as our coach though all things considered.

Stop it.

You’ve made a lot of outlandish statements on this board but that one might take the cake. You could have a staff of Coach K, Bill Self, and Greg Popovich (with no egos) and this team would not win the B1G title with this current roster. There are serious issues with this roster.

Edit: I’d take a shot with Crean as our coach though all things considered.

It may seem outlandish, because of how woefully this team has performed this season, but remember B1G pundits thought Iowa was talented enough to do some things this year. I'm steadfast that Crean could do at Iowa what he did with his 2012-2013 Indiana team.

Zeller = Garza
Watford = Cook
Sheehey = Baer
Hulls = Jbo

We are missing an Oladipo, but with Crean at the helm I believe Moss, Dailey or Wieskamp could develop enough to suffice. I don't think it is crazy at all to think Crean could win B1G with this roster. Some heavy attention to defense and boom we are in the running.

It may seem outlandish, because of how woefully this team has performed this season, but remember B1G pundits thought Iowa was talented enough to do some things this year. I'm steadfast that Crean could do at Iowa what he did with his 2012-2013 Indiana team.

Zeller = Garza
Watford = Cook
Sheehey = Baer
Hulls = Jbo

We are missing an Oladipo, but with Crean at the helm I believe Moss, Dailey or Wieskamp could develop enough to suffice. I don't think it is crazy at all to think Crean could win B1G with this roster. Some heavy attention to defense and boom we are in the running.
Not even close, and that team had a freshman Yogi who played 28 minutes a game. Zeller would run circles around Garza.

Let’s rank Iowa in terms of where there talent ranks in the B1G. (Star - 1st Team, All conference, Starter, Role Player, Scrub)

Cook - All conference (not a star until defense appears)

Garza - Starter (he’s probably average to below average starting Center in the league next year)

Bohannon - Starter? (He’d would start on a few B1G teams but not many)

Baer - Role Player

Weiskamp - Top 50 recruit, could be Starter level but more likely Role player as a freshman

Pemsl - Role Player

Moss - Role Player?

Nunge - Role Player (chance to develop into Starter type, but unlikely by next year)

Dailey - Role Player / Scrub

Kriener - Scrub

Wagner - Scrub

Cmac - ???

This team doesn’t have near the talent you think it does. Even with a great coach who could maximize the talent of each of those guys (Crean isn’t a Great coach), that team still has no chance at the B1G title.

Whoa, WHOA! You guys need to pump the brakes on the whole wanting Crean there idea. It would be a lateral move (at best) and quite possibly a downgrade from McCaffery. If I had a conversation with Crean kiss ass Dan Dakich, it would probably go something like this:
Dakich: IU shouldn’t have fired Crean, he won two Big 10 titles in the last five years.
Me: Oh yeah, Dan? Well he also missed the NCAA Tournament in 2 of those 5 years( once missing the postseason completely) and BARELY got IU into the tournament in another.
Dakich: Crean’s a great recruiter and developer of talent.
Me: What did he do with that talent. We were consistently one of the worst defensive teams in the country. Also, if you want to discount Crean’s first two years, We (IU) finished 7th OR WORSE in the conference in 4 of the remaining years.
Let’s let Crean and McCaffery’s records the previous 5 years speak for themselves:

Crean’s last 5 seasons at IU:
2012-13: 29-7 (14-4) 1st
2013-14:17-15 (7-11) T-8th
2014-15: 20-14 (9-9) T-7th
2015-16: 27-8 (15-3) 1st
2016-17: 18-16 (7-11) T-10th
Total: 113-60 (52-38)

McCaffery’s five seasons:
2012-13: 25-13 (9-9) 6th
2013-14: 20-13 (9-9) 6th
2014-15: 22-12 (12-6) T-3rd
2015-16: 22-11 (12-6) T-3rd