Next Head Coach

DunderMifflinHk

I want to see Fran get one more year to see if he can turn it around, but if he doesn't make the tournament then I think it will be time for a change. Whether it be this offseason or next, who is out there that could be a realistic shot to become Iowa's next head coach? What about assistants? Two assistant coaches we could hire as assistants that I think would make sense is Jeff Horner or Dean Oliver. Dean Oliver is recruiting DJ Carton. If we could lure Oliver to be a top assistant we could probably bring in Carton. As far as head coaches I have no idea who we would get. Thoughts?

T.J. Otzelberger, South Dakota State (40)
  • Otzelberger has been widely regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation. His efforts have helped secure the services of Cyclone greats Mike Taylor, Craig Brackins, Diante Garrett, Scott Christopherson, Chris Babb, Chris Allen, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Naz Long, and Matt Thomas, among others.
Up-and-Coming College Basketball Coaches to Watch in 2017-18
  • With Mike Daum still on the roster, South Dakota State is the team to beat in the Summit League. That's great news for second-year head coach T.J. Otzelberger, because he should be able to guide the Jackrabbits to their fifth NCAA tournament appearance in seven years. And with more than a decade's worth of experience as an assistant at Iowa State and Washington, one more tourney appearance should make him a hot commodity.

Cincinnati's Mick Cronin would be one of the first I would go after, but it would take a big-time contract since he's a hot get right now.

As I mentioned in another thread, we've got a guy right in our back yard who's an outstanding coach in Jacobsen. He gets the absolute most out of his players. The only thing I don't know is if he's willing to recruit aggressively outside of the region. The rumor is that he prefers to stick within a smaller geographic area so that he can spend more time with family.

Cincinnati's Mick Cronin would be one of the first I would go after, but it would take a big-time contract since he's a hot get right now.

As I mentioned in another thread, we've got a guy right in our back yard who's an outstanding coach in Jacobsen. He gets the absolute most out of his players. The only thing I don't know is if he's willing to recruit aggressively outside of the region. The rumor is that he prefers to stick within a smaller geographic area so that he can spend more time with family.

Cronin would never come here. My #1 realistic target would be Musselman and after it would probably be Crean or Dan Hurley.

Cronin would never come here. My #1 realistic target would be Musselman and after it would probably be Crean or Dan Hurley.
You're stating speculation as a fact. You have no clue what Cronin would or would not do.

I agree, though, that it's a long-shot. But, it's not like he's Krzyzewski, Roy Williams or Bill Self either. He came within a hair of taking the UNLV job recently, and might like the idea of coaching in the B1G. It wouldn't hurt to test the waters there.

Crean probably would like the idea of competing against IU, but I don't see how he would have more success here. His resume may have already plateaued. Musselman is an interesting idea, but I question if his goal really is to get back to the NBA.

The OP's choice, Otzelberger is an intriguing idea, especially since he has recruiting ties to the area.

Others to consider include Dan Hurley at Rhode Island, and McDevitt at UNC-Asheville. Those guys can coach and their teams always compete hard.

You're stating speculation as a fact. You have no clue what Cronin would or would not do.

I agree, though, that it's a long-shot. But, it's not like he's Krzyzewski, Roy Williams or Bill Self either. He came within a hair of taking the UNLV job recently, and might like the idea of coaching in the B1G. It wouldn't hurt to test the waters there.

Crean probably would like the idea of competing against IU, but I don't see how he would have more success here. His resume may have already plateaued. Musselman is an interesting idea, but I question if his goal really is to get back to the NBA.

The OP's choice, Otzelberger is an intriguing idea, especially since he has recruiting ties to the area.

Others to consider include Dan Hurley at Rhode Island, and McDevitt at UNC-Asheville. Those guys can coach and their teams always compete hard.
Have you seen the ESPN show on Bobby Hurley? I couldn't respect him his brother Dan and their family more after seeing that. Those dudes were brought up in a tough way. I used to hate Bobby and Duke and all that. I can't after seeing that. They do things the right way and there's no such thing as a short cut with them.

That one is pry more realistic... and it’s not realistic haha
I agree both are pretty far fetched... Hell we don't even have an opening to start with. What are the odds of that even happening? That said I'd love to see Jason Kidd do college. That guy should be able to recruit and groom pgs for crying out loud. He was so damn good as a player it wasn't even funny.

I agree both are pretty far fetched... Hell we don't even have an opening to start with. What are the odds of that even happening? That said I'd love to see Jason Kidd do college. That guy should be able to recruit and groom pgs for crying out loud. He was so damn good as a player it wasn't even funny.

Kidd still wouldn't have a nickname half as cool as White Magic.

You would think he could kill in guard teaching. I think he was rushed into the head coaching job a little too fast. Maybe going the college route could benefit him

You would think he could kill in guard teaching. I think he was rushed into the head coaching job a little too fast. Maybe going the college route could benefit him
I'd think so. He's still young yet. Kids should know who he is and if they don't their Dads sure will. If the dots were to connect somehow I'd certainly be down with it. But it seems pretty far fetched from where we are now

Have you seen the ESPN show on Bobby Hurley? I couldn't respect him his brother Dan and their family more after seeing that. Those dudes were brought up in a tough way. I used to hate Bobby and Duke and all that. I can't after seeing that. They do things the right way and there's no such thing as a short cut with them.
I don't think that I saw that particular show, but I'm familiar with the history. Both of those brothers are hard-nosed blue collar guys with a great work ethic. Dan's teams always come to play. I like the intensity.

Latest posts