New video board going up today

Get back on topic guys! Weisman is kicking some Husker A$$!!!

We can all hope the AIRBHG was really just LEHG and when ole Lester left, he took his curse with him. The way the curse seemed to transfer from the receiving corp to the running backs when Lester was reassigned leaves the door open for that possibility.

If that is not the case, this is AIRBHG bulletin board material.

On the off chance you haven't been over to hawkeyesports.com today, they have a new article about the north endzone video boards. New Technology at Kinnick: The North Video Walls - Iowa Official Athletic Site

kinnicknorthwalls.jpg

No Worries! Just wait until the new 12 story children's hospital is finished. The hole in the ground is huge, bigger than the hollow the football field is in. Massive structure w/ 2 more stories underground plus 4 stories of parking beneath that.

I wonder if they will put the inpatient units on the West side instead of the East as they are now. After seeing what the architects did w/ the new cancer center infusion area in PFP I wouldn't be surprised if they have some major glass installed overlooking the 50 yard line.

It will be interesting to see what they come up w/ to mitigate the view from the pediatrics units. Athletics might just decide to wrap the ribbon across the back of the East stands to block it.

I highly doubt anything like that will happen. Iowa football has a special connection to Children's Hospital. The Ferentzs are big supporters, players visit often and we have the Kid's Captains on game day.

I'm pretty sure they'll see the view provided into Kinnick as a positive feature of the new facility, and the athletic department will embrace it. It will be a nice distraction for those kids and families that are dealing with life-changing challenges. Imagine a seriously ill little kid looking down there on game day thinking...I'm going to be one of those kid's captains, I'm going to get better.

Pretty cool stuff.

I highly doubt anything like that will happen. Iowa football has a special connection to Children's Hospital. The Ferentzs are big supporters, players visit often and we have the Kid's Captains on game day.

I'm pretty sure they'll see the view provided into Kinnick as a positive feature of the new facility, and the athletic department will embrace it. It will be a nice distraction for those kids and families that are dealing with life-changing challenges. Imagine a seriously ill little kid looking down there on game day thinking...I'm going to be one of those kid's captains, I'm going to get better.

Pretty cool stuff.

This. If it were just a normal wing of the hospital, I'd say they'd maybe wrap the ribbon around. But no way they do that to the children's hospital.

On a different note, I saw the video boards in person last weekend. The ones in the north end zone are much bigger than I originally thought. They're about the same size as the video board used in the scoreboard last year.

This. If it were just a normal wing of the hospital, I'd say they'd maybe wrap the ribbon around. But no way they do that to the children's hospital.

On a different note, I saw the video boards in person last weekend. The ones in the north end zone are much bigger than I originally thought. They're about the same size as the video board used in the scoreboard last year.[/QUOTE]

I was in IC yesterday. I had the same feeling. Those boards will really add some intensity to the North End Zone. They almost give hte feeling of a bigger, deeper stadium bowl.

Sorry if I missed this but are there seats lost because of this? Almost looks like two rows were taken out. I am sure it was for construction but looks like supports are in the space of 2nd row.

Sorry if I missed this but are there seats lost because of this? Almost looks like two rows were taken out. I am sure it was for construction but looks like supports are in the space of 2nd row.

No, the support beams are on the back of the last row where people used to stand. No rows were taken out.

Pics look amazing.

Hypothetical question: if the AD were to fill the corners in the South End Zone, how much would it raise capacity by?

UI Children's Hospital Building Update

Go to the website and it shows some pics including one overlooking Kinnick. If I remember correctly the Cancer Center on the top floor will have views for the kids to watch games.
That is so cool. Bravo for who ever had the idea to put the center at the top for the kids. But of course it's a better view when you get to be on the field with the announcer telling 70,000 hawk fans that with the help of the medical staff at U of I hospital that your cancer has been cured.

Pics look amazing.

Hypothetical question: if the AD were to fill the corners in the South End Zone, how much would it raise capacity by?

I think they did a study on that a couple of years ago and it would add about 47 people to the total capacity of Historic Kinnick Stadium.

Just a couple I took today while I'm the Hospital ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_20130805_141150_804.jpg
    IMG_20130805_141150_804.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20130805_141159_107.jpg
    IMG_20130805_141159_107.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 47
Viewed some full on testing today while driving past the College of Dentistry parking lot across from Carver! Amazing, first time I have seen anything other than test patterns on the big screen. Very visible and it was a little after 1 pm. Still haven't seen any live video up on it but it looked like they were working on a gold sidebar w/ stats displayed and some animated elements. Really wish I hadn't been driving the at the time so I could of had a longer view.

When I was a kid my dad and I would listen to soundoff on the way home from the games. One night someone called in and asked why Iowa didn't have a tigerhawk at midfield. Zabel or his partner replied, "well, when you're winning by so much I suppose it's okay to think about remodeling the place." Let's hope the Hawks start winning again and we can continue to think about remodeling. Until then, the new tigerhawk is backlit. Very cool!

@CoachBFerentz - Backlit Tigerhawk is a great touch on the new scoreboards! pic.twitter.com/2hcZjiDmJf

BSPhun_CMAAAzer.jpg:large

Last edited:

Latest posts