New thread: OC Rumormill

And now this thread is meandering off course. Professors????

Come on, there is a whole other thread with the exact same title that has already gone off the rails. Your Econ Prof would want you to share your thoughts on him over there! :)

Andy Ludwig

Not sure why he would make a lateral move to Iowa, but his name is out there.

I mentioned Dr Jay Holstein in a post recently (maybe the Bobby Knight RIP thread) Assume he's retired now but in the 1980's he was the most popular professor on campus. And he taught religion and pseudo philosophy classes.

He was so popular he could fill MacBride Hall damn near to Dr Richard Bovbjerg's Laysan Island display on the upper floor. And it wasn't unheard of for students on free hour, celebrities, and even prominent figures from rival teams passing through town to attend his lectures. I know for a fact Dick Vitale popped in a time or two (Holstein was from the Philly area and Vitale from New Jersey)

Holstein, for the record, hated the lecture hall. It was one of the two biggest on campus at the time (along with the Chemistry-Botany hall). And I suspect he wasn't crazy about what a circus atmosphere his lectures could become. But man what a storyteller he was.

Any former Iowa students remember the Chem-Bot lecture hall? And specifically the inferno it could be early in the fall semester? You would literally need a shower after walking out of there.
I took a Chem class my freshman year in that Chem-Bot hall. That "classroom" was 10% smaller than my graduating class (440 vs 490). It was very overwhelming to a 17 yr old.

... However ... back on track ... give me Paul Chryst!!
Met him. Great guy. Very Kirk-like in that regard and would be a good "fit".
He's a true offensive mind and, as mentioned in reference to his strength coach, (not to mention his time at Wisc) he understands how important it is to build your team around an enormous, talented OL that can get you 5 yards whenever you want it.
.... and could he help get the Iowa recruits at the OL and RB to have similar power running teams like Wisky had in the past? That fits in to Kirk's style.

And now this thread is meandering off course. Professors????

Come on, there is a whole other thread with the exact same title that has already gone off the rails. Your Econ Prof would want you to share your thoughts on him over there! :)
This is what makes off season forums fun.

And yes it’s the offseason and has been for over a month. Almost all of us checked out 3-4 games into the season. Which is weird because this team won 10 games and no one, myself included, gives a damn.

Wartburg football had a nice run in the playoffs at Div III. I was watching the highlights of their last couple playoff games and I wouldn't mind having their OC. Just sayin'.

I'm gonna apply. My nephew sent me the application link. I got 3 years coaching parochial rec league youth basketball. Assistant coaching, actually. I wrangled kids. And told the coach when it was time to sub. Everyone got equal playing time, regardless of ability. Rec league rules. So, I'm used to being loyal to players. Guessing that's a big plus for scoring a job in this program.

I'm gonna apply. My nephew sent me the application link. I got 3 years coaching parochial rec league youth basketball. Assistant coaching, actually. I wrangled kids. And told the coach when it was time to sub. Everyone got equal playing time, regardless of ability. Rec league rules. So, I'm used to being loyal to players. Guessing that's a big plus for scoring a job in this program.
Been there to.

And yes it’s the offseason and has been for over a month. Almost all of us checked out 3-4 games into the season. Which is weird because this team won 10 games and no one, myself included, gives a damn.

I know, but dammnit.....after Wisconsin, the whole "maybe it will start clicking next week" hope thing started all over again. Sucked me right back in after I promised not to.

Been there to.

I am as qualified to coach basketball even less than I am football.
Football, I'm maybe as qualified to do flint knapping. Cause I've seen about 8 demonstrations of it on TV. Only cause I got fascinated by an archeology show during lockdown and they dug a few stone age sites over the run of the 15 years long series that I binged, and one of the 'star diggers' on the show was a flint knapper.

Basketball, I'm as qualified to do that as I am calculate landing trajectories of space probes on Jupiter. Calc was my second lowest grade ever. Lowest was also a math class.

But I am good at wrangling kids and trying to keep them appropriately focused. Which, for us, meant....doing 3 drills before practice devolved into dodgeball/rolling around/skipping contests/wall slapping or spinning. Just spinning....spinning until they were dizzy and then stumbling around.

I'm pretty sure making yourself dizzy is kids basically just experimenting with legal drugs.

Boy, I sure don't agree with this. I enjoyed the season and am looking forward to the bowl. It was infuriating at times, but there was something compelling about KF pulling off these wins with 165 yards in offense. It was like watching a pool full of elderly people having an orgy. You don't want to watch, but its also hard to look away.

I guess I don't get being a fan of Iowa but hating it all so much. If you can't enjoy a 10-win season in football, man, buy a Roll Tide shirt.....

Boy, I sure don't agree with this. I enjoyed the season and am looking forward to the bowl. It was infuriating at times, but there was something compelling about KF pulling off these wins with 165 yards in offense. It was like watching a pool full of elderly people having an orgy. You don't want to watch, but its also hard to look away.

I guess I don't get being a fan of Iowa but hating it all so much. If you can't enjoy a 10-win season in football, man, buy a Roll Tide shirt.....
I don’t hate it a bit. I’m indifferent.

Wartburg football had a nice run in the playoffs at Div III. I was watching the highlights of their last couple playoff games and I wouldn't mind having their OC. Just sayin'.

Did you see them play? I watched nearly all their games (they stream for free). Twice as many passing yards as rushing yards? Over 3,000 yards in passing offense? No way would Kirk allow that offense.

I'm not sure I could do it, but I would nuke an entire province in China for the chance. Football OC is the best job on Earth. Well maybe a midwestern governor. They get a house, car and driver, helicopter, some power, rarely anything urgent and a lot of down time to work on the handicap.

Well, the wikipedia reference seems well timed with the OP.

Joe is a good offensive coach but he is a little too long of tooth. He does bring a ton of NFL offensive experience and the Ohio State playbook with him.

Well, the wikipedia reference seems well timed with the OP.

Joe is a good offensive coach but he is a little too long of tooth. He does bring a ton of NFL offensive experience and the Ohio State playbook with him.
He needs to bring the Ohio State talent with him, too. No playbook will be worth squat with Iowa's current talent level.

Latest posts