New Tailgating Rules: Too Strict or About Time?

That's a pretty good plan. How much is a parking pass for the lots? The University could lose a pretty penny on people leaving their lots. However if people around Kinnick open their yards for tailgaters they could make a sweet profit.

I don't want to reveal too much because I think there are going to be a lot of people going this route this season and next and although I respect everybody here, it's every man for himself when it comes to claiming a parking spot. I will say that the lot I am looking at normally charges $250.00 a season but I am pretty sure it will jump above $300.00 and beyond next year if the U starts clamping down.

I don't want to reveal too much because I think there are going to be a lot of people going this route this season and next and although I respect everybody here, it's every man for himself when it comes to claiming a parking spot. I will say that the lot I am looking at normally charges $250.00 a season but I am pretty sure it will jump above $300.00 and beyond next year if the U starts clamping down.

I can see it going higher than that. If they really start clamping down on hard liquor in the U of I lots, I can see people paying $400-500 to drink whatever they want in someone's backyard.

I like it Jon.......I've said this before and it bears repeating again - IF YOU HAVE TO GET DRUNK TO ENJOY AN IOWA FOOTBALL GAME.......YOUR LIFE IS PRETTY PATHETIC!!!!!

DUI checkpoints should be mandatory from here forward to protect the public from dummies driving 2 ton missiles while intoxed.....

1 hr. Limits on tailgating after games on public property is also a good idea because the game's over.......GO HOME PEOPLE!

No drifting around the parking lot with an open nattie lite should have been enforced sooner because if you do that any other place during the week........you get ticketed so it makes sense to start enforcing it @ Kinnick as well.

Finally, if your hanging brain in public and taking a p!$$ - you should get cited.....just for being stupid.

I have no problem with these stricter rules Jon because for far too long Drunks have interrupted games at Kinnick and have been greatly annoying for those us who just wanna watch college football in a great atmosphere without the smell of some drunken college sluts or 40 yr olds trying to relive the good ol days!!!

I like it Jon.......I've said this before and it bears repeating again - IF YOU HAVE TO GET DRUNK TO ENJOY AN IOWA FOOTBALL GAME.......YOUR LIFE IS PRETTY PATHETIC!!!!!

DUI checkpoints should be mandatory from here forward to protect the public from dummies driving 2 ton missiles while intoxed.....

1 hr. Limits on tailgating after games on public property is also a good idea because the game's over.......GO HOME PEOPLE!

No drifting around the parking lot with an open nattie lite should have been enforced sooner because if you do that any other place during the week........you get ticketed so it makes sense to start enforcing it @ Kinnick as well.

Finally, if your hanging brain in public and taking a p!$$ - you should get cited.....just for being stupid.

I have no problem with these stricter rules Jon because for far too long Drunks have interrupted games at Kinnick and have been greatly annoying for those us who just wanna watch college football in a great atmosphere without the smell of some drunken college sluts or 40 yr olds trying to relive the good ol days!!!

Guess what! They have an alcohol free lot. Feel free to party there! Otherwise get off your high horse and shut the hell up!

Hell, I don't drink at all, but I don't see a big problem with people enjoying some drinking. I don't like it when people get out of hand either. But some of this is just getting ridiculous. And the DUI checkpoints are a good idea in theory, but they certainly are going to create problems if they expect people to be off the lots in 2 hours, because traffic is going to be greatly affected.

:confused:....example?

I like it Jon.......I've said this before and it bears repeating again - IF YOU HAVE TO GET DRUNK TO ENJOY AN IOWA FOOTBALL GAME.......YOUR LIFE IS PRETTY PATHETIC!!!!!guv

How about we impose an alcohol ban on everything in the 30 mile radius of Kinnick. Just to make sure everyone entering the stadium should be made to submit to a breathlizer before being admitted in.

ok jmark you made your point loud and proud anyway I love the hawks and i love beer and i am near fifty and i have had season tickets years ago when times were bad at hawkeye land and we did what we could to survive ..... i live in western iowa and its a 4 hour drive to iowa city to be with the hawks and 4 hours home and to be told I cant camp out and have a beer and some food by the powers that be are going to have me and a lot of other hawk fans thinking the same thing............ it is very easy to stay home and grill and have friends over for a beer and not take our money on the road to Iowa city if we are not allowed to have a little fun

The University and the City of Iowa City are nickel and diming tailgating to death. It's sad when you can't walk down Melrose on game day with a beer in hand.

ok jmark you made your point loud and proud anyway I love the hawks and i love beer and i am near fifty and i have had season tickets years ago when times were bad at hawkeye land and we did what we could to survive ..... i live in western iowa and its a 4 hour drive to iowa city to be with the hawks and 4 hours home and to be told I cant camp out and have a beer and some food by the powers that be are going to have me and a lot of other hawk fans thinking the same thing............ it is very easy to stay home and grill and have friends over for a beer and not take our money on the road to Iowa city if we are not allowed to have a little fun

Good - then that means more tix for the rest of us.......social drinking is one thing. But most that go to kinnick...like to get drunk.
So enhanced enforcement of the law should be expected when a university is trying to change it party-school image......

Good - then that means more tix for the rest of us.......social drinking is one thing. But most that go to kinnick...like to get drunk.
So enhanced enforcement of the law should be expected when a university is trying to change it party-school image......

ok maam I am sorry to get you in a bunch

Last edited:
As was stated earlier in this thread, the university has been taking incremental steps in years past. This year, it seems as though they are going for 3 or 4 years changes in one years time.

Kinda reminds me of the boiling frog anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.
A metaphor for the inability of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually.

They may be biting off a bit too much all @ once. Depending on how vigorous their enforcement of the proposed changes and how many people they upset this will come back to haunt them.

Also, keep in mind that Ferentz may not be here forever and Hawk football may become mediocre again. By that time people may have already settled into their "new" way to watch, be it @ a block party, their favorite bar with the same friends or just @ home with friends and relatives. They may not be willing to go back as their "new" way suits them fine w/every game being televised on 60" home screens with theatre surround sound.

It happened to basketball. Never thought that could have happened if you were there in the 80's. Hell, Barta would have threw a kegger @ Carver this year to fill it to 80% capacity.

God help them if the resistance to this ever gets organized. I can see a boycott of an early game. Dropping merchandise and concessions to a record low. In this day of messageboards, organization to unjustified restrictions is certainly not unfathomable.

I got long winded there, but I get sick of the almost daily revocation of freedoms we once enjoyed.

As was stated earlier in this thread, the university has been taking incremental steps in years past. This year, it seems as though they are going for 3 or 4 years changes in one years time.

Kinda reminds me of the boiling frog anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.
A metaphor for the inability of people to react to significant changes that occur gradually.

They may be biting off a bit too much all @ once. Depending on how vigorous their enforcement of the proposed changes and how many people they upset this will come back to haunt them.

Also, keep in mind that Ferentz may not be here forever and Hawk football may become mediocre again. By that time people may have already settled into their "new" way to watch, be it @ a block party, their favorite bar with the same friends or just @ home with friends and relatives. They may not be willing to go back as their "new" way suits them fine w/every game being televised on 60" home screens with theatre surround sound.

It happened to basketball. Never thought that could have happened if you were there in the 80's. Hell, Barta would have threw a kegger @ Carver this year to fill it to 80% capacity.

God help them if the resistance to this ever gets organized. I can see a boycott of an early game. Dropping merchandise and concessions to a record low. In this day of messageboards, organization to unjustified restrictions is certainly not unfathomable.

I got long winded there, but I get sick of the almost daily revocation of freedoms we once enjoyed.

here here!!!! you are right my friend

Well, I for one need two more season tickets. Since it seems like so many on here don't want to live with this, I'm willing to buy two season tickets right now. Just PM me and I'll be glad to buy your seats!

We will both win...you can stay home, grill for as long as you want, get smashed and more importantly prove you are a person who stands by their principles and I'll get the opportunity to take more customers to the game.

Well, I for one need two more season tickets. Since it seems like so many on here don't want to live with this, I'm willing to buy two season tickets right now. Just PM me and I'll be glad to buy your seats!

We will both win...you can stay home, grill for as long as you want, get smashed and more importantly prove you are a person who stands by their principles and I'll get the opportunity to take more customers to the game.

Customers? Who are you? Krause? Rastetter? A hooker on the corner? If you have customers you probably have a club box and if you do, why do you need our tickets?

I just love the people who break out the sell me your tix if you are so upset. Even the most upset people know this year and depending how well they do next year IA tickets will be scooped up. But Iowa is not OSU or other elite programs. We have our mediocre years. When that happens the line to scoop up tickets will not be as large and by agrivating people it will not help them in the lean years.

Extremely well put, thank you.

News flash...not everyone who takes customers to games uses the skybox. I'm just seeing this as an opportunity for guys like Norwalk to have a financial way out of this communist policy. If you don't like the policy, don't go to the games and sell me your seats....I need 2 more!

Latest posts