New starting lineup

McCausland, how knows basketball, pretty much identified who should be getting the most minutes, in no particular order:

1. Brommer in the middle
2. Basabi, because he has potential
3. McCabe, because he is long and is not afraid to score
4. Gatens, obviously
5. Cartwright
6. Marble
7. Oglesby, because he is a threat to score
8. White

I think that is your top 8. I just don't see May, Oleseni or Archie getting a lot of minutes, unless there are injuries to the top 8

May is not quick enough or tall enough and is simply afraid to shoot the ball

i can see how a team that finished 2nd and 4th the last 2 years was a complete disaster, and lets not look at all the Alford players that Lick ran off, Freeman, Fuller and Peterson as well as the players that had committed to Alford that Lick told to go elsewhere one was a 7'1 top 30 player,
clearly a disaster left by Alford
can't remember the 7'1 players name

Alford did this program no favors before he left but Lickliter took the program to new depths never before seen at Iowa. Lickliter simply had no clue what was going on...simply no clue. Unfortunately Iowa gave him about 2 years more than he deserved.

well as the players that had committed to Alford that Lick told to go elsewhere one was a 7'1 top 30 player,

I assume you are refering to Beas Hamga. He ended up being a complete bust.

i can see how a team that finished 2nd and 4th the last 2 years was a complete disaster, and lets not look at all the Alford players that Lick ran off, Freeman, Fuller and Peterson as well as the players that had committed to Alford that Lick told to go elsewhere one was a 7'1 top 30 player,

Baes Hamga...yeah he is a notable player, turned out to be quite the star.

Look at who left Iowa in Alford's last year and who was left...Peterson was not good and he proved it at Arkansas, we will see how well Fuller does and I don't believe Freeman was a notable player where he ended up.
Lickliter was clearly the wrong hire very soon into his tenure, but to think there was a lot of talent at Iowa when he got there and that there was a lot of talent waiting in the wings that never arrived is totally off base.

Don't discount how many players were in trouble and the players in and out of the program every year, the only difference was that he had a respectable record. The program was viewed a joke for a lot of people on the outside looking in, from fans of other teams.
There were so many problems under the Alford tenure with arrests, academics and transfers. Iowa hired the wrong guy to restore integrity and character to the program that was lost long ago.

other than Pierce, please refresh my memories of the countless arrest you speak of
as for transfers that i blame on his handiling of Evans
Evans in my opinion should have gone pro after his jr year, Recker would have been a better leader for this team
again Evans did more to the psyche of that team that got away from Alford
not much of a Alford fan myself, but when O'Neal came in, it made a big difference in coaching, daddy retired which was a great thing
as for Hamga, Peterson and Freeman players react differently to different programs and coaches
Lohaus is a very good example; Lute recruited him as a McD AA, did very little under Ravelling and if not for Mr. Davis probably would just have dissapeared, instead ended up finishing with a flurry and was drafted into the NBA, we will never know how those players would have done under Alford

other than Pierce, please refresh my memories of the countless arrest you speak of
as for transfers that i blame on his handiling of Evans
Evans in my opinion should have gone pro after his jr year, Recker would have been a better leader for this team
again Evans did more to the psyche of that team that got away from Alford
not much of a Alford fan myself, but when O'Neal came in, it made a big difference in coaching, daddy retired which was a great thing
as for Hamga, Peterson and Freeman players react differently to different programs and coaches
Lohaus is a very good example; Lute recruited him as a McD AA, did very little under Ravelling and if not for Mr. Davis probably would just have dissapeared, instead ended up finishing with a flurry and was drafted into the NBA, we will never know how those players would have done under Alford

I didn't say countless, but there was a period of seven years or so where it was a given that someone was going to get arrested or declared academically ineligible. Living out of state that was the only offseason news that I heard. I can't remember everyone, but it was the combination of all those things, some got the hat trick like Sonderliter and were eventually removed from the program. Hansen accomplished two out of three by having academic issues, transfering out and then back in. The Recker/Evans situation was mishandled and a reason why Iowa didn't do better with them on their roster.
Keep in mind that for as long as Alford coached he graduated six players, I believe, quite the accomplishment (remember transfers don't count). As for O'Neal, he did nothing for me, there was no real difference in the performance of the players after Sam left. Remember the same guy that brought in so much talent brought in Josh Crawford, Ryan Hogan and JR Angle as well. We can go back and forth all day/night about this, but to think Iowa was in a good position talent-wise and overall perception as a basketball program when Alford left is misguided.

I didn't say countless, but there was a period of seven years or so where it was a given that someone was going to get arrested or declared academically ineligible. Living out of state that was the only offseason news that I heard. I can't remember everyone, but it was the combination of all those things, some got the hat trick like Sonderliter and were eventually removed from the program. Hansen accomplished two out of three by having academic issues, transfering out and then back in. The Recker/Evans situation was mishandled and a reason why Iowa didn't do better with them on their roster.
Keep in mind that for as long as Alford coached he graduated six players, I believe, quite the accomplishment (remember transfers don't count). As for O'Neal, he did nothing for me, there was no real difference in the performance of the players after Sam left. Remember the same guy that brought in so much talent brought in Josh Crawford, Ryan Hogan and JR Angle as well. We can go back and forth all day/night about this, but to think Iowa was in a good position talent-wise and overall perception as a basketball program when Alford left is misguided.

To call the Lick era anything other than an a disaster is misguided. He was one of the worst coaches in a BCS conference ever. Alford would have brought Gary who was one of the best players in the MWC over the past four years, along with Peterson, Kelly, and Cole. That is not a great class but it is a class good enough to make the postseason.

Lick brought in very few Big Ten level players and his recruits lack of talent is still killing the program. Alford didn't have the program at a great place, but it wasn't even close to being as terrible as where Lick took it.

To call the Lick era anything other than an a disaster is misguided. He was one of the worst coaches in a BCS conference ever. Alford would have brought Gary who was one of the best players in the MWC over the past four years, along with Peterson, Kelly, and Cole. That is not a great class but it is a class good enough to make the postseason.

Lick brought in very few Big Ten level players and his recruits lack of talent is still killing the program. Alford didn't have the program at a great place, but it wasn't even close to being as terrible as where Lick took it.

Not disputing the stance people take on Lickliter, but the program was not good and only got worse when Alford left. Gary had academic issues and it was questionable if he was going to get into Iowa, when Alford left he had not qualified and didn't qualify until very late, maybe not until August, if I remember correctly. Iowa hired the wrong guy when Alford left, think if Iowa would have hired Fran when Alford left, not that he applied not saying that he did, I don't think Iowa would be in the state it is today.

Archie is injured again. Might as well tell him to turn in his uniform, a completely wasted scholly.

Neal brought in Tyler Smith a Top 50 recruit, i don't think he would have left if Alford hadn't, the father was ill was a good reason to leave,
Then you have another top 50 kid that may have been here but went to Arizone whose career was cut short due to injury but i guess you will blame Alford for that, Gary went to NM with Alford
but i get it you are a self centered and complete Alford hater and everything is his fault, its clear you are Lick lover

Neal brought in Tyler Smith a Top 50 recruit, i don't think he would have left if Alford hadn't, the father was ill was a good reason to leave,
Then you have another top 50 kid that may have been here but went to Arizone whose career was cut short due to injury but i guess you will blame Alford for that, Gary went to NM with Alford
but i get it you are a self centered and complete Alford hater and everything is his fault, its clear you are Lick lover

Smith left because of a family issue, but he turned out great didn't he?

Who was the kid that went to Arizona?

Lick Lover, hardly, he was the wrong hire and it is even more obvious today than ever. Lick never built a program, which is what he needed to do at Iowa. Would Iowa be better if Fuller, Peterson, Kelly and Freeman had stayed, yeah, but they also haven't shown that they were impact players.

Iowa won a lot of games under Alford, but there were a lot of problems that were swept under the rug because they were winning. The Pierce situation was just one thing, but that is one situation that happened, there were others that didn't get the attention that they deserved. Although I was not a huge fan of Alford, I supported the Hawkeyes as much as then as I do now. All programs have issues, but when it is the same issues every year something needs to be done. Iowa finally fired Lickliter, looking back maybe a year too late.

McCausland, how knows basketball, pretty much identified who should be getting the most minutes, in no particular order:

1. Brommer in the middle
2. Basabi, because he has potential
3. McCabe, because he is long and is not afraid to score
4. Gatens, obviously
5. Cartwright
6. Marble
7. Oglesby, because he is a threat to score
8. White

I think that is your top 8. I just don't see May, Oleseni or Archie getting a lot of minutes, unless there are injuries to the top 8

May is not quick enough or tall enough and is simply afraid to shoot the ball

What does this mean?

according to whatb i found on Hamga he is at UAB listed as a jr but not playing this year other than 5 games at UNLV and games at a juco nothing as been established yet to his success of failure, listed ads a 5* center Alford beat out Kentucky and Indiana for him as he also played AAU ball on The Indiana Elite team, at the time he would have been the crown jewel Alfords recruiting, but lick turned away a 5* center

HIND SITE IS ALWAYS 20/20
but for some like you that only look to put Alford down it is more like 20-200
Hamga still wanted to come to Iowa as he liked the community and school
now tell me who was responisible for Lick's failures?
and how many coaches turn down a 5* center prospect
and if you say you would i am going to call you a liar

Latest posts