New Recruit:Kevin Panzer?

You answered my previous question, we're DEFINITELY in the Honeymoon period.

You are fanboy to the max. You watch youtube (or similar) vid and voila you know all you need to know.

I must admit, he comes from one of the two high schools I attended. My father lived directly behind the high school until he died last year. Would be psyched to have a Capo Valley Cougar playing for the Hawks. Now, that being said, go back and watch the Larson videos. He is very smooth, looks quite polished, and appears to play under control. I just don't see much explosion with Larson, he is more of a glider.

This kid looks like he might have better hops. That is all I am saying. However, I will say that the league the kid plays in turns out high D1 athletes. The competition is way above that which Larson has played against in high school. Of course, Larson has done well in the AAU circuit, but we know little defense happens there.

However, I think it is really presumptuous to think this kid will be coming to Iowa.

I dunno, Larson had a pretty smooth shot for his build.

I agree. Larson is smooth. He reminds me of some of the Big Bodies MSU used to get. Guys that knew how to be in great position both on offense and defense, could get up and down the court, hit the open 15 footer, and get a lot of garbage points.

The difference I see between Panzer and Larson might be like the difference between Gordon Hayward and Matt Howard (WAIT! I AM NOT COMPARING LARSON AND PANZER TO THESE TWO, JUST THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO, in that Howard is more of a traditional 4 and Hayward is more of a tall 3.

Last edited:
One of the links refers to 6'4" Kory Alford from New Mexico playing at the AAU tournament in Las Vegas. Wonder if we are in on him.

Josh Rhodes was the name of the kid from California that Alford signed, not Crawford.

He was from Santa Cruz. As I remember, he showed up in the fall, and after a couple months of being in Iowa City, decided he wanted to go back to Santa Cruz and never play basketball again. Or spend another day in Iowa.

Great recruit.

Josh Rhodes was the name of the kid from California that Alford signed, not Crawford.

He was from Santa Cruz. As I remember, he showed up in the fall, and after a couple months of being in Iowa City, decided he wanted to go back to Santa Cruz and never play basketball again. Or spend another day in Iowa.

Great recruit.
Rhodes wasn't the tall project from CA, though. He was actually a pretty well ranked prospect.

Crawford was the tall project that the earlier poster was talking about.

Great recruit.

Actually Alford recruited both. Like so many Alford recruits, neither lasted long at Iowa, ever played a minute as Hawkeyes.

Rhodes arrived in August, left in September. Here just long enough to entangle Sean Sonderleiter in trouble with university and city officials.

Iowa herbicide policies hastened Rhodes departure.

Latest posts