NEW OC

I think Foval21 may be on to something. I can definitely see Soup as OC and bringing Brian Ferentz in as something like TE or WR coach, or even OL coach depending on what happens there.

It may not be seen as a promotion for Brian Ferentz (Anybody know his middle initial... I refuse to call him BF!), but you never know what's in a person's mind. Maybe he just likes the small town/college atmosphere better than Boston, and being around family. I know I would. Or, maybe he sees it as a better path for bigger things like a HC position down the road.

I have no idea who the DC will be. I hope it's somebody from the outside that would also be GREAT recruiter. A big name would definitely help there. I wouldn't be that unhappy with Phil Parker, but with the timing I just don't see it.

Morehouse said in one of his stories that Soup has been offered other jobs almost every year that he has been at Iowa including last year to head back to Michigan.

I think he would be a great hire.

Morehouse said in one of his stories that Soup has been offered other jobs almost every year that he has been at Iowa including last year to head back to Michigan.

I agree. And If I was putting a bet down on it I would put money on him.

agree also. would be interesting though on how he would be as a playcaller.

John Shoop. Formerly of the Carolina Tar Heels and with a bunch of NFL experience.

Shoop was not retained by the new coach Fedora because Fedora runs a spread offense.

Shoop is classic pro-style offense is very dedicated and very good (to great) offensive coordinator.

He made TJ Yates, ever heard of him?

Hopefully, he would consider Iowa and Kirk would consider Shoop.

Shoop can also handle the criticism. For the most part Tar Heel fans hated him.

He would feel right at home following KOK.

Last edited:
Morehouse said in one of his stories that Soup has been offered other jobs almost every year that he has been at Iowa including last year to head back to Michigan. I think he would be a great hire.
agree also. would be interesting though on how he would be as a playcaller.

That's what so many seem to overlook sure we are going to run the same Pro Set zone blocking scheme but there are a million+ different decisions that two coaches can make with the exact same playbook. That doesn't even include new ideas, formations, personnel groupings, route combos, etc

One thing that is going to happen for sure with KOK departure is we will finally have the answer to the question of who is more conservative. KOK or KF

You don't already know? Who decided to dial back the shotgun and stop the use of no-huddle? (Vandy was better at the no-huddle and shotgun than the pro-set, BTW). I think it was KF. In a press conference this season, KF said the no-huddle was not the direction the offense needed to go.

EDIT: and KOK ran a spread offense before he came to Iowa.

Last edited:

+ 1. If it's not him it had better be someone with one heck of a resume or Soup could be gone. He's not hanging out in IC for the weather!

Can't imagine the combination of Soup-OC, BF-receivers, Woods-DL and a high profile DC would do anything but help recruiting. What is lacked in experience could be offset with their ability to better connect with young people.

Kamel- I was not dishing grief to KOK, just calling like I see it. I certainly don't know what transpired in IC, but something does not add up; therefore, it appears to me that he had some help leaving. I could be completely wrong, but after reading posts on HN from posters that appear to have some INs, there was something other than him just wanting a change of scenery

Getting that tool out of town is the best thing to happen to Iowa athletics since the Lick firing. Not sure how we got rid of KOK but am sure glad he is gone.

Latest posts