new mexico

New Mexico should have been ranked a while ago. They should jump into the top 20 after this week if they hold on. They have a real nice team down there.

I think Alford was a good enough coach to win here. I think it shows that its hard to win here at Iowa. Alford was quite unhappy with support from the athletic department. I think the recruiting game also changed during his time at Iowa. When he first got here he could recruit directly through high school coaches. He got quality talent like Reiner, Worley, Boyd, Horner, Brunner, some transfers. Then instate talent dried up, he didn't know how to work AAU programs yet, and he was left trying to recruit out of state AAU kids with poor facilities.

By the time he learned how to recruit the AAU programs (think Tyler Smith, the indiana elite connection) he recruited so much poor talent and burned so many bridges it was over.

Alford should have succeeded here. New Mexico is a good team, playing in pretty decent league. They have been very successful since he's been there.

Last edited:
No one is surprised by this. Pretty much everyone following college basketball expected Alford to succeed at a mid-major school. It's not that shocking. The Lobos have a pretty good team this year, and give their fans credit - the Pit is one of the most difficult venues to play at in the entire nation. But it's still a mid-major job with typical results.

Alford is a superior Mid-Major coach. Greg McDermott-esque.

Exactly. These are two prime examples of the apples and oranges comparison between mid-majors and the major conferences.

*It also helps to have an AA type son who follows you to your new school.

I was born in New Mexico and my godparents live near Albuquerque so I have visited many times. Used to go to Lobos games in the late 80s-90s during Dave Bliss and Fran Fraschilla eras and some McCay games. Remember watching Kenny Thomas play.

The Pit was and is still one the greatest venues in college BB, was back then and Alford has revived it. Same thing Fran is attempting to do at Iowa but much more difficult. He has to battle several difficulties Steve doesn't have - Big Ten conference, football superiority, talent difference.

Alford is recruiting same caliber of athlete as he did at Iowa but easier to win with them in MWC than in Big Ten when everyone else has same talent or better. He also doesn't have football to worry about. Football has always been a joke there even during BB shortcomings.

Steve is a perfect coach at a mid-major school where football is a complete embarrassment.

It's ridiculous to compare Alford and McDermott. ISU was terrible under McDermott. Iowa won two B10 titles with Alford and was 20-12 in the conference in his final two years.

Would you like to see the questions for the University of New Mexico entrance exam for athletes?

Would you like to see them again?

It's ridiculous to compare Alford and McDermott. ISU was terrible under McDermott. Iowa won two B10 titles with Alford and was 20-12 in the conference in his final two years.

McDermott didn't stick around long enough for a fair comparison but the absolute mess that he inherited was 100 times worse than the state of the Iowa program when Alford took over.

In his last 4 years at Iowa, Alford was 79-48 overall and 36-28 in the Big Ten. He had seven consecutive winning seasons. The biggest complaint from his detractors was not his coaching ability. It was his hair.

He is arrogant, and he did handle the Pierre Pierce situation poorly. But he's a very good coach and will have 500 career wins at age 50. Not many 50 year old coaches have done that.

By the way, I watched the UNM - UNLV game today, and the New Mexico fans were more energetic than Iowa fans have been at any game the past 30 years at Carver.

McDermott didn't stick around long enough for a fair comparison but the absolute mess that he inherited was 100 times worse than the state of the Iowa program when Alford took over.

How was the program a mess? They were two years removed from advancing to the second round of the NCAAs. They weren't under any sanctions. McDermott inherited two good players, Hubalek and Clark, and not much else. Pretty much where Iowa was at when Alford took over, Oliver and Jaacks were there but Davis left the cupboard extremely empty.

Meanwhile, Assistant coach Todd Lickliter's Miami Red Hawks are 8-16 this season. If you want to call coach Lickliter, the MU website has all of the assistant's office numbers published on their website.

Yes, it is his real number, and yes, I did call it.

Not working anymore friends....wave you’re hands and pffftttt all you want. Some times its juts fit, circumstance and time. This mid-major whinnyness crap is just that. When Butler goes to the Championship game 2 years in a row…..VCU, George Mason, etc….the time has come to admit these teams can play on any level and to suggest the MWC is anything less than a 1A league is just what it is….

Petty, bitter, sour grapes……

Sometimes I think people forget how much better the program was under Alford. Saying he can only coach/is only suited at a mid-major level is laughable.

Latest posts