New Developments favor ISU joining the big ten

I'm an ISU fan and frankly I'm borderline embarrassed by our fanbase over this topic. Dodds wrote an article last week about the Big 10 an expansion that I totally agree with. The big 10 is interested in two things, brands (Nebraska) or markets. ISU does not bring either. I don't think the Big 10 expands again until Notre Dame is ready to join up.

Granted I'm more positive than many ISU fans on how it will all shake out - however, anybody who thinks the Big 10 will be a safety net is considering something that is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen and would be totally out of character for how the Big 10 has currently gone about stuff.

refreshing.

Gotta respect the ACC and PAC being aggressive. Those are the two weakest of the Big 4. The PAC needs to get into the central time zone. They do that with the Oklahoma schools. I think they will wait to see what Texas does, if UT goes elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a run at the Kansas Schools. They already have a bunch of big markets, they just need some games that aren't on so late. Four schools in the central time zone would help that.

OU, OSU, KU, KSU, UOfA, ASU, Colorado, Utah. (Of course they would rather have UT and TTech in place of the Kansas Schools.)

Then the original PAC 8.

All of this is pure speculation. Until schools officially announce they are joining a conference we can all talk about this topic until we are blue in the face ... I don't think the Big 10 will expand simply to expand. Not how the conference rolls. I don't see the Big 10 adding ISU ...

As a Husker fan and a new member of the B1G, I get the sense that the conference won't expand just for the sake of expansion. Nebraska is a great fit for the B1G and I wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G stay at 12 and remains an extremely stable league.

You clown fans crack me up. You do realize the B1G is the most powerful conference in the country, right? You can't deny that. Every single school is in play when it comes to the B1G expanding.....not just the leftovers from the Crumbling Conferences (TM).

I've made my fair share of ISU to the Missouri Valley jokes, but in reality I do hope for the best for ISU and I hope to see them land on their feet in a major conference. It's better for the state of Iowa. While I think it's highly unlikely to see them get in the BIG, I don't think you can rule it out 100%. With everything that has gone on in realignment, NOTHING will surprise me at this point. If the Pac12, SEC and ACC get to 16 teams each, will the BIG be forced to make the move to 16? With the BCS contract ending in 2014, they may have to since the new BCS system will probably involve the 4 big superconferences in some sort of playoff/plus one system to determine a champion. If that were to happen it would need the conferences to have the same number of teams. The conference title games serve as the elite 8, then the winners go into the final four. Bowl games remain intact and everyone is happy (except Boise St of course). I think I just solved college sports. Thank you.

Anyone who thinks ISU is a good fit for the Big 10 needs their head examined. The only teams that they take are those that increase revenue, ISU adds nothing.

I would be fine with adding Mizzou and Kansas. You get a very good rivalry and a great basketball school.

You clown fans crack me up. You do realize the B1G is the most powerful conference in the country, right? You can't deny that. Every single school is in play when it comes to the B1G expanding.....not just the leftovers from the Crumbling Conferences (TM).

Not necessarily if the ACC puts a 20 million dollar buyout it makes it alot harder. We aren't pulling teams from the SEC or Pac so we don't exactly have anyone we want.

I've made my fair share of ISU to the Missouri Valley jokes, but in reality I do hope for the best for ISU and I hope to see them land on their feet in a major conference. It's better for the state of Iowa. While I think it's highly unlikely to see them get in the BIG, I don't think you can rule it out 100%. With everything that has gone on in realignment, NOTHING will surprise me at this point. If the Pac12, SEC and ACC get to 16 teams each, will the BIG be forced to make the move to 16? With the BCS contract ending in 2014, they may have to since the new BCS system will probably involve the 4 big superconferences in some sort of playoff/plus one system to determine a champion. If that were to happen it would need the conferences to have the same number of teams. The conference title games serve as the elite 8, then the winners go into the final four. Bowl games remain intact and everyone is happy (except Boise St of course). I think I just solved college sports. Thank you.

I think this is pretty much on target. I think the more and more it might look like 4 super conferences then ND will have to give up their independence or they won't be a part of any 4 team championship playoff. I also think that Missouri is a name we will hear more of in the BIG expansion regardless of ND's direction. The addition of an ND and MO would be fine by me.....both fit the BIG profile well. Delaney can be patient with ND. If they would ever come aboard he can reach out and find another to balance the divisions even if it might be a less noteable team. As far as ISU, I agree you can't totally rule them out of the BIG but it would be a longshot that would have to involve some extraordinary circumstances.

I don't think the BIG can sit still at this stage and I would never underestimate what Delaney might be up to at this point.

I don't know why everyone wants to get the really good football teams. Conferences need the ISU, Purdue, Indianas of the world for balance. You just can't beat each other up every week and expect some team to survive it all unscathed and make it to a NCG. I say stay at 12 no matter what.

Not necessarily if the ACC puts a 20 million dollar buyout it makes it alot harder. We aren't pulling teams from the SEC or Pac so we don't exactly have anyone we want.

Money talks and right now, for example, Northwestern makes more money than Florida. Obviously there is more that goes into the decision, but my point was there are other schools in play, not just the leftovers.

Hawk7 pretty cool stuff right there. See the problem is ISU beat Iowa so maybe Iowa should contact the MVC? But I hold firm that a Big 10 offer may be made to ISU in the next round of expansion by the Big 10.

Milk that win all year, because I don't think Iowa will lose the next one to the clowns. Just like you clowns milk the Nebraska win 2 years ago. You clowns should look at the full history of playing Nebraska. Nebraska has 86 wins the clowns have 17 and 2 ties. Good job! That was an awesome win but you still have a 16% winning precentage against the Huskers all time.

I don't know why everyone wants to get the really good football teams. Conferences need the ISU, Purdue, Indianas of the world for balance. You just can't beat each other up every week and expect some team to survive it all unscathed and make it to a NCG. I say stay at 12 no matter what.

Don't disagree with you hawkfarmer but I do think our conference is forced to be on somewhat equal status if we're going into Superconference mode around the country. Prestige, competitiveness, recruiting, $$$ all will play a role.

I think when all the conference chest pounding is done some fans will realize that some of us in second tier programs might find it more difficult to win football games......assuming we add some of the more competitive programs to our conference in the future.

Personally I don't like the whole direction college sports has taken for quite some time but that's a discussion for another day.

We've seen what you could do in a weak big 12. Which was nothing. So what could you do in the Big 10?
LOL, weak? When was the last time the Big 10 won the NC? Your Big 10 champ from last year was humiliated at the Rose Bowl by a non automatic qualifier. Do I need to pull up the Big 10's bowl records? Or the records against the Big 12?

Last edited:
LOL, weak? When was the last time the Big 10 won the NC? Your Big 10 champ from last year was humiliated at the Rose Bowl by a non automatic qualifier. Do I need to pull up the Big 10's bowl records? Or the records against the Big 12?
Further more Iowa beat a 10-2 Missouri team last year in the Insight Bowl.
TCU was VERY good last year and I was not surprised they beat Wisconsin. You are foolish and a troll. Be gone now.

Aren't you lucky you're not part of this crappy conference! We all feel the same way, lucky you're not part of it. Have fun in the whatever conference.

Hey I'm a Hawk fan, and I hope ISU ends up in the Mac, but anyone who is saying its 0% chance is naive to the situation. It's not impossible and all I'm saying it's higher probability then it was last week, even though that probability is still very very low.

I agree with you but I am also the one that said I think the Big Ten has been working behind the scenes to get Texas and Notre Dame then will add Baylor and Iowa State to make them look good. I got really blasted for that but I thought I would share my opinion.

I do think it is more likely to see Iowa State to the Big Ten than in the past and if you would have asked me this 6 months ago I would have said no way!!

IF and that is a very big hypotheical IF ISU would join the B1G I can definitely see another 15 year winning streak over the clowns. Making that game a conference game would not be good for the clowns against Iowa.

Hey guys- congrats on a big comeback this weekend btw.

First, I'm assuming the 4-16 team conferences are inevitable and that the Big 10 expands to 16 (which I still fail to understand why..but that's another discussion)

Second, if the anti-cyclone bias is removed, ISU is a great fit for the Big 10 geographically, academically, and culturally. Even the biggest ISU hater can't deny that, especially with Nebraska added.

Last, if the Big 10 is serious about academic prowess, they are looking at "Institutional Quality" and the ability of the school to support multiple Big 10 caliber programs. You can't deny that Iowa State can compete year in and year out just as good as Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, and even NW/Illinois?

I know many around here would hate it, but I would love to be in the Big 10. Realistically, ISU ends up in some hodge podge of a Big East/Big 12.

Latest posts