New Basketball Arena

BGOLD

Carver turned 35 this week, which isn't exactly old, but unlike Kinnick presents almost no historic value and is a flawed design that only continues to become more outdated by the year.
I realize Carver just had a multi-million dollar facelift, and any talks about a new arena are probably decades from now (unfortunately) but the flawed design of Carver offers no home court advantage and a general disinterest in attending games.

When in your opinion is a reasonable timeline for the University to consider building a new basketball arena?

Aside from not having the student section as close to the action as possible, I still don't mind the layout of Carver.

I have always believed there is too much much empty space between the court and the seats at the baseline. New Mexico's arena is similar in that the you enter on top and walk down. They could do that at Iowa.

upload_2018-1-19_14-52-42.jpeg

Here's a comparison between The Pit and Carver

upload_2018-1-19_14-59-4.jpeg
images

Stuff the fans closer to the action. They could pull that off for $10-$15 million, probably less. I got a million ideas, and this forum to express them.

I actually like the stadium, when you have a NIT crowd the place can rock. The problem is the regular fans are quiet and polite. The lack of home court advantage is the result of an older fan base that just is there to socialize and be seen. The really good crowds are fans that don't get to see the Hawks very often due to distance.
I'm hearing the crowd vs. Colorado was the best of the year. I live in Dubuque and it's not feasible to go to 8pm games on a workday. If you look around at college basketball the best teams have a great student section. Most of Iowa's students seem to have better things to do. I stop here as to not get political.

I actually like the stadium, when you have a NIT crowd the place can rock. The problem is the regular fans are quiet and polite. The lack of home court advantage is the result of an older fan base that just is there to socialize and be seen. The really good crowds are fans that don't get to see the Hawks very often due to distance.
I'm hearing the crowd vs. Colorado was the best of the year. I live in Dubuque and it's not feasible to go to 8pm games on a workday. If you look around at college basketball the best teams have a great student section. Most of Iowa's students seem to have better things to do. I stop here as to not get political.

Even living in Des Moines the desire to drive out to Iowa City during the week for an 8 pm game is very low regardless of how well the team is doing. Getting back at midnight is not fun when you have to work the next morning. Plus if the team loses then that drive is extra terrible.

Speaking from experience they need a better system for the students after the game is over. There would be one CamBus for a thousand students. Your choice was to wait for the next bus and hope you can somehow get on it, or else walk back. I lived on Dodge my senior year and walking from Carver all the way to Dodge Street in the middle of winter suuuuuucked. If it was 5 degrees it was hard to convince myself to go out there knowing I would have to either walk back or wait in the cold forever for a bus.

Carver would be fine if Iowa won basketball games.

'Fine' is all it is even then though. It's constructed to let sound escape and for fans to be about as far away from the court other than Vanderbilt. Basically the opposite of Kinnick.
The issues with Carver go far beyond putting a better product on the court, and the two are related. For instance, recruiting would largely benefit if we had a great atmosphere that recruits wanted to play in.

u7yRVhV.gif

Oh the boys are playing a bit to daft for my liking today Betty. But Sharm dress so dapper and I think the Fran's boys are quite swell aren't they. I concur Gretchen.

Last edited:
'Fine' is all it is even then though. It's constructed to let sound escape and for fans to be about as far away from the court other than Vanderbilt. Basically the opposite of Kinnick.
The issues with Carver go far beyond putting a better product on the court, and the two are related. For instance, recruiting would largely benefit if we had a great atmosphere that recruits wanted to play in.

Right, if Iowa wins, the crowds show up, the atmosphere is better - the recruits want to play in front of big crowds. I am not saying Carver is some mecca that doesn't need replaced. I'd be fine with it....all I am saying is we wouldn't think it was so bad if Iowa was winning and it was full every game.

LOL I sat behind these ladys. Asked me if I liked Ike. They asked me to turn up the thermostat and if I felt a draft.
And then they baked you a nice casserole and made some jell-o with fruit in it. Hey, I've hit on another idea. Casseroles and Jell-O at the concession stands.

Bring back the field house!

I'd rather keep the arena, if it means affording a new coach when that time comes.

Latest posts