Never have I seen anyone shoot like this.

It started on these boards last week. Dave Kingman's name came up. His nickname, when he played, was of course King Kong.

1_43bb7e9a754411d3056e29603ea2de8c.jpg

From The Hard Ball Times:

In the original 1933 version of King Kong, the flamboyant captor (Robert Armstrong) of the giant ape proclaimed him the Eighth Wonder of the World. Nobody ever said that about Dave “King Kong” Kingman, who retired more than three decades ago. He was not a great player, not even a good player; one-dimensional is an adjective often applied to him. He was a wonder of sorts, but one can be a wonder without being wonderful.

The King Kong nickname was understandable. Kingman was big (6-foot-6, 210 pounds) and strong. Though his hits frequently went over the wall, his behavior was frequently off the wall. Enigmatic was an adjective often applied. The other adjectives were less charitable but understandable, given his frequent tiffs with sportswriters.

:cool:

He has that weird shot-put type shot. But it works for him. Uncanny.
It's a set shot that kids in junior high shoot because they don't have the physical strength or athletic ability to shoot a jump shot yet. Physically he is VERY limited, and didn't show up for almost the entire game, but he does hit shots when they matter.

In their defense, they were probably watching both ends of the floor. No pun intended.

I'll be the first to say I was critical of his defense last year as teams just attacked and attacked him defensively in zone or man. This year, and especially in the B10, he's played much, much better defense in cutting people off and stopping penetration. On the other end...he's outright won 4 games for us...and is a mench at crunch time. It doesn't change the fact I think he's a great ambassador for Iowa Basketball and he's a great kid. He had areas he had to improve...like every player.
He has? People go by him at will and get to the basket, that pretty much goes for anyone on our team. The Maryland game was a perfect example, and that is how they won the game. He can shoot, well in crunch time especially, but other than that, he is extremely limited athletically.

He has? People go by him at will and get to the basket, that pretty much goes for anyone on our team. The Maryland game was a perfect example, and that is how they won the game. He can shoot, well in crunch time especially, but other than that, he is extremely limited athletically.
You haven't been watching this year's games.
  • Myles Dread tried to get past our guards, after a timeout no less, and threw the ball away.
  • Vic Law couldn't do it late, had to settle
  • Ron Harper Jr couldn't. Geo Baker had to settle for contested three, which he was able to make.
  • Romeo Langford couldn't get nowhere near the rim when he had a chance to win in regulation
That leaves Cowan as the only example to support your argument, out of five. Carsen Edwards and Cassius Winston aren't on this list because they abuse everyone, not just our guards.

I have.

Jeff Hornacek.

Hornacek completely changed his shot when he was picked up in the NBA. He had a kind of side-spin on his shot when he was in college. (I actually played against him, Grayer, Stevens and a few other Cyclone players at State Gym in the summers when I was teaching near Ames then)

And he wasn't money the way Jordan is.

Bet Andy had a hard time mustering up that smile with being so disappointed and all.

Exactly. He talked up Indiana the entire game; couldn't say enough good things about the Hoosiers. When it came to talking about the Hawks, he was very begrudging in his comments. Almost like he went to Indiana instead of Wisconsin.

It's a set shot that kids in junior high shoot because they don't have the physical strength or athletic ability to shoot a jump shot yet. Physically he is VERY limited, and didn't show up for almost the entire game, but he does hit shots when they matter.

He didn't show up for most of the game.... right. He had as many rebounds as Kreiner and Wieskamp. He was 2nd on the team in assists. He had only 2 turnovers in his 34 minutes. He did all of this in the last 3 minutes and in overtime? Wow. You must have been watching a different game.

1_43bb7e9a754411d3056e29603ea2de8c.jpg

From The Hard Ball Times:

In the original 1933 version of King Kong, the flamboyant captor (Robert Armstrong) of the giant ape proclaimed him the Eighth Wonder of the World. Nobody ever said that about Dave “King Kong” Kingman, who retired more than three decades ago. He was not a great player, not even a good player; one-dimensional is an adjective often applied to him. He was a wonder of sorts, but one can be a wonder without being wonderful.

The King Kong nickname was understandable. Kingman was big (6-foot-6, 210 pounds) and strong. Though his hits frequently went over the wall, his behavior was frequently off the wall. Enigmatic was an adjective often applied. The other adjectives were less charitable but understandable, given his frequent tiffs with sportswriters.

:cool:
Good find, Jack.

Latest posts