NCAA Why Not Des Moines

They have had the Wells Fargo event director on KXNO before and he said they are making aggressive bids to get the NCAA in DM. If Barta can make an aggressive bid to the NIT, then DM should be money!

don't forget Omaha has it again. There is at least 1 new hotels, the Hyatt Place. The Hampton Inn will break ground soon, and several others are planned near grays lake.

Also DSM will has already secured Southwest Airlines which will start in September.

Whatever is attached to the Century Link center(across the street via skywalk) added well over 100 rooms in the last year with a massive expansion for added convenience with attending the ncaa games.

Omaha has well over 1000 hotels rooms within a 5-10 minute walk from the Quest as well. I don't really know DM's downtown set up, but Omaha is very accommodating in that area. Omaha also has the CWS downtown now, so there's already a favorable notion about it being a host city for such an event.

I have always wondered why not CHA? But then I think of the lack of adequate hotels to accommodate 4 teams and their fans along with no major airport close by. I wonder if Des Moines would have the same issues.

Neither arena is large enough. I know Omaha had to expand after a year or two in order to get the tournament to come there.

Iowa City is miles down on the list of possible sites for a lot of different reasons.

I did this last year when Boise was a host city and it was ******* me and a co-worker off. I spent a hole day at work on this. Sorry I didn't make a spreadsheet or anything. My source was the internet, so its all there for you already :D.

I'm guessing there may be some holes in your research.

I think not too far down the road Des Moines will get its shot. The city does a great job hosting. I think how it performs hosting the women's regional event this year, and the NCAA Wrestling next year will go a long way in making its case.

Hotels would not be a problem. There are plenty of hotel rooms to handle the influx of fans. We are most likely still a few years away but I think it will happen...

Neither arena is large enough. I know Omaha had to expand after a year or two in order to get the tournament to come there.

Iowa City is miles down on the list of possible sites for a lot of different reasons.

Yes they are. Wells Fargo =16,110

12,400 Dunking Donuts Arena - Providence
12,480 Taco Bell Arena - Boise

There are many others that have hosted the last 10 years that are under 17,000

Both arenas are larger than a number of sites that have been mentioned in this thread. Boise, Dayton, and Spokane are all smaller than the Well and CHA.

I think not too far down the road Des Moines will get its shot. The city does a great job hosting. I think how it performs hosting the women's regional event this year, and the NCAA Wrestling next year will go a long way in making its case.

Hotels would not be a problem. There are plenty of hotel rooms to handle the influx of fans. We are most likely still a few years away but I think it will happen...

I think hotels is the primary reason this has not happened yet.

The reason the seats are so empty is because unless you are a fan of one of the teams the NCAA has made the tournament a boring event to attend in person. A few years ago a friend of mine bought tickets for a second round Saturday session in Denver(you have to buy ticket for all games that day or no games). We got to our seats and after about an hour I said "I'm going to get a beer". My friend said, sorry they don't sell beer because it's a college event. I said OK, in between games I'll go accross the street and grab some lunch and have a beer....um, "sorry, you can't leave and get back in". I didn't realize this, but no big deal, I don't necessarily need to have a beer to enjoy myself, it would be nice, but I'll live. Although only being able to eat concessions food for 8 or 9 hours was not all that appealing.
Then as we are watching the first game there was a sweet dunk, and I'm thinking I can't wait for the reply on the big screen because our seats weren't in the lower level and I wanted to see a closer view. However, I then found out they don't allow replays in the arena. They don't want the crowds to be able to see the replays because they feel it will just get them upset at the refs when they know there was a bad call. No beer, no replays, only concession stand food, and can't leave the entire day. Most of the games were not closely contested and the arena was not very full except the lower level, so not much electricity in the air. I'm a huge fan of basketball but the sterile environment they have created and keeping you on lock down the whole day makes it for a less than thrilling experience. Now that you can see all the games on TV, watching at home is a much, much better way to see the tournament.

Whatever is attached to the Century Link center(across the street via skywalk) added well over 100 rooms in the last year with a massive expansion for added convenience with attending the ncaa games.

Omaha has well over 1000 hotels rooms within a 5-10 minute walk from the Quest as well. I don't really know DM's downtown set up, but Omaha is very accommodating in that area. Omaha also has the CWS downtown now, so there's already a favorable notion about it being a host city for such an event.

Omaha is definitely in a better position in terms of hotels. The Omaha Hilton has 600 rooms. Most in DSM believe we are a convention center hotel away from regularly getting these events.

DSM does or will have enough hotels by this year, the problem is most are in the 5-10 block range, not the 0-5 block range.

0-5 Blocks
Quality Inn 155 Rooms
Holiday Inn 251 Rooms
Ebassy Suites 234 Rooms
Raddison Savery

6-10 Blocks
Hyatt Place
Marriott 411 Rooms
Hampton Inn (to be completed in 2012) 128 Rooms
Extended Stay Hotel to be built in 2013-2015
Suites at 800 Locust 41 Rooms

11-15 Blocks
Hotel Fort Des Moines

Hawkeye34, it is a college sporting event so no beer being served makes sense, which is also a big reason why they do not allow you to leave and come back. If you have even been to a game in Kinnick you should be aware of ways of sneaking alcohol. ;)

One note: you can't really compare Des Moines to Boise. The NCAA is always going to want to have some geographical balance and there just aren't as many options for sites in the Mountain and West time zones. Des Moines isn't competing with Boise or Spokane for a spot-- they're competing with Omaha, Louisville, Milwaukee, etc.

I've been to Dayton a number of times. No great shakes.....they certainly have nothing more to offer than Des Moines does.

Omaha is definitely in a better position in terms of hotels. The Omaha Hilton has 600 rooms. Most in DSM believe we are a convention center hotel away from regularly getting these events.

DSM does or will have enough hotels by this year, the problem is most are in the 5-10 block range, not the 0-5 block range.

0-5 Blocks
Quality Inn 155 Rooms
Holiday Inn 251 Rooms
Ebassy Suites 234 Rooms
Raddison Savery

6-10 Blocks
Hyatt Place
Marriott 411 Rooms
Hampton Inn (to be completed in 2012) 128 Rooms
Extended Stay Hotel to be built in 2013-2015
Suites at 800 Locust 41 Rooms

11-15 Blocks
Hotel Fort Des Moines

The skywalk minimizes the distance issue.

Hawkeye34, it is a college sporting event so no beer being served makes sense, which is also a big reason why they do not allow you to leave and come back. If you have even been to a game in Kinnick you should be aware of ways of sneaking alcohol. ;)

Because it was in a pro sports arena I just didn't think about the no-beer. They used to serve beer at the metrodome for Minnesota football games because it is also a pro stadium. I definitely learned my lesson.

Because it was in a pro sports arena I just didn't think about the no-beer. They used to serve beer at the metrodome for Minnesota football games because it is also a pro stadium. I definitely learned my lesson.

From what I have observed (I would never do this) a well hidden flask and then buy a big a$$ soda from concessions.

Latest posts