NCAA Why Not Des Moines

I have always wondered why not CHA? But then I think of the lack of adequate hotels to accommodate 4 teams and their fans along with no major airport close by. I wonder if Des Moines would have the same issues.
Dsm has an airport. It's expensive but it's an airport. They have plenty of hotels within a short cab ride of Wells Fargo. They've had plenty of big events in DSM that require filling up hotels. Selling tickets for the higher prices they probably want to charge is probably the stickler. But I agree there shouldn't be that much of a diff between Omaha and DSM at all.

Yes they are. Wells Fargo =16,110

12,400 Dunking Donuts Arena - Providence
12,480 Taco Bell Arena - Boise

There are many others that have hosted the last 10 years that are under 17,000

Interesting. I really thought the main reason they expanded Qwest was to ensure that they got the NCAA tournament.

As someone else pointed out it will be tough for Des Moines to compete with other Midwest cities, partly because the NCAA views the Midwest as a huge part of the country.

The won't pick Des Moines because there is just too much going on all the time. The players would be in the Neck Quarter getting in trouble. Then you have all the 4H and FFA stuff. It would be too distracting. No one would even go watch their team play. Then the traffic...oh my god...you can't get anywhere in that town.

The won't pick Des Moines because there is just too much going on all the time. The players would be in the Neck Quarter getting in trouble. Then you have all the 4H and FFA stuff. It would be too distracting. No one would even go watch their team play. Then the traffic...oh my god...you can't get anywhere in that town.

I'm not exactly sure why but this really cracked me up!

Yes they are. Wells Fargo =16,110 12,400 Dunking Donuts Arena - Providence12,480 Taco Bell Arena - BoiseThere are many others that have hosted the last 10 years that are under 17,000
Interesting. I really thought the main reason they expanded Qwest was to ensure that they got the NCAA tournament. As someone else pointed out it will be tough for Des Moines to compete with other Midwest cities, partly because the NCAA views the Midwest as a huge part of the country.
There May be a 17,000seat minimum for Regionals?? To bad those are usually played in football stadiums now days.

Lol.. I can't read? Man you're an idiot. Welcome back TylerSash, you ******* ******. Can you read that?

How in the world have you not been banned yet?

You are mean-spirited and an idiot. Just get lost already.

Also, that joker is not TSash. He's pretty cool, but not THAT cool. Yet.

How in the world have you not been banned yet?

You are mean-spirited and an idiot. Just get lost already.

Also, that joker is not TSash. He's pretty cool, but not THAT cool. Yet.

How many more times does he need to call someone an idiot or moron for you to believe that it is him?

There could be but not everybody that goes to state wrestling and basketball stay over night.

Dayton is 4 times the size of Des Moines with a much bigger metropolitan area.

No its not, flat out false. Dayton 141K 2010 census, declining population.

I am hoping some year Des Moines can pull at least some 1st and 2nd round games. I would for certain go. Up here in MN, the Dome no longer pulls games because it is too much of a dump. And the new stadium wont be ready for a few years either.

Some numbers:

Des Moines metro is the 88th largest @ 570K (possibly already over 600K by now)

Dayton is 66th largest @ 840K (and shrinking)

If Des Moines continues to grow, I wouldn't be shocked to see them attract an opening round in another decade...of course, there are a lot more factors than just pop, though.

Per the US Census Bureau the entire county of Polk is 443k. By DM "metro", are you including multiple counties? If including Dallas County as well, at 72k. DM itself is 200k.

One of the limiting factors for having more large events at the Wells Fargo Arena is not having on site hotels/parking.

Polk County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Dallas County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Montgomery County OH (Dayton) is 534k

Montgomery County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Per the US Census Bureau the entire county of Polk is 443k. By DM "metro", are you including multiple counties? If including Dallas County as well, at 72k. DM itself is 200k.

One of the limiting factors for having more large events at the Wells Fargo Arena is not having on site hotels/parking.

Polk County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Dallas County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Montgomery County OH (Dayton) is 534k

Montgomery County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Dude...it was over a year ago...I can't remember what I was talking about 15 minutes ago, let alone a year ago! :p

Des Moines MSA is 588,999 and has a 2 yr growth rate of 3.4% In 2016/2017 the population will be around 630K
Dayton MSA is 800,972 and growing at 0.2%
Omaha MSA is 885,642 (2015 site) and growing 2.3%
Lexington MSA is 485,023 (2013 site) with a 2.7% 2 yr growth rate
Spokane MSA is 532,253 (2014 site) and growing 0.9%

Des Moines is going to get a MBB round.

It's had WBB.
It's had the Wrestling Championship.
It's going to have Track & Field Championships this year.

These are all primer's for Men's Basketball. The NCAA doesn't look at it's championships (wrestling and T/F) as primers, but Des Moines has put on an impressive show.

Parking and hotels within a 1/2 block radius of The Well isn't a problem for the Wrestling CHAMPIONSHIP, it isn't going to be a problem for hosting MBB the first or second weekends.

Parking and hotels isn't a problem for the Track & Field CHAMPIONSHIP at Drake Staduim, it isn't going to be a problem for Des Moines to host MBB.

There were 20,000 people at Fanfest (where you could go between sessions and drink beer) which far surpassed the last two in Philadelphia and St. Louis.

"If you bring it, they will come. People will most definitely come, Ray."

Bids for all NCAA championships go up in 2013 for 2015-17. Des Moines is trying to figure which ones to bid for.

MBB will be coming and I'll be buying tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, if Des Moines can host NCAA women's regionals, why can't they host NCAA men's second and third rounds? I hope in the near future we may see this happen.

I do recall Griner the Gargantuan and her Baylor teammates ******** about having to stay in Des Moines. "There's nothing to do!"

Latest posts