NCAA Why Not Des Moines

There could be but not everybody that goes to state wrestling and basketball stay over night.

Dayton is 4 times the size of Des Moines with a much bigger metropolitan area.

Some numbers:

Des Moines metro is the 88th largest @ 570K (possibly already over 600K by now)

Dayton is 66th largest @ 840K (and shrinking)

If Des Moines continues to grow, I wouldn't be shocked to see them attract an opening round in another decade...of course, there are a lot more factors than just pop, though.

Its the # of hotel rooms within a certain radius of the stadium that is stopping DSM from getting men's NCAA games. I did a bunch of research on it last year when I was sick of seeing Boise getting 1st round games every other year. DSM just isn't quite big enough yet.

I think your right. I sit on a board of a non profit and we typically set up our annual meetings in Des Moines. We always have to check out the football schedule for Iowa state because we struggle getting the hotel we want. It is the same way in Cedar Rapids/Iowa City when Iowa has a home game. Plus I think the size of the airport is part of the problem. There is not many commercial flights in and out of Des Moines or Cedar Rapids.

Seriously did anyone read my post? Go check the requirements (I recommend Google) then check Dayton and Boise vs. Des Moines and look at the # of hotel rooms within the required radius from the arena. Its that simple. It has nothing to do with population or how cool your city is. The Well seats enough people to be a viable venue.

Des Moines as a city has a greater population than Dayton however Dayton's metro area, which means more, is bigger. It's about 800,000 while Des Moines' is a little over 600,000. Wikipedia is my source.

Sorry, wasn't referring to that Jack. I was referring to ssckelley. Dayton, Ohio is definitely NOT 4x the size of Des Moines population-wise. Dayton's metropolitan is bigger, but not anywhere near 4x bigger.
Didn't realize that Dayton was bigger than DM.....

Learn something every day.....

:D

They've hosted games in Boise, Idaho for Pete's sake. Don't think that's very close to anything..

Yeah, that is a head scratcher. Their arena only sits 12,000. But there is a lot of money in Boise perhaps they put together a very attractive package for the NCAA and have better hotel accommodations.

Sorry, wasn't referring to that Jack. I was referring to ssckelley. Dayton, Ohio is definitely NOT 4x the size of Des Moines population-wise. Dayton's metropolitan is bigger, but not anywhere near 4x bigger.

ok, I was thinking Des Moines was 200K and Dayton was 800K not including either metro areas.

Seriously did anyone read my post? Go check the requirements (I recommend Google) then check Dayton and Boise vs. Des Moines and look at the # of hotel rooms within the required radius from the arena. Its that simple. It has nothing to do with population or how cool your city is. The Well seats enough people to be a viable venue.

If you have researched this already share! You have numbers on the hotel rooms in these different areas?

They've hosted games in Boise, Idaho for Pete's sake. Don't think that's very close to anything..
Yeah, that is a head scratcher. Their arena only sits 12,000. But there is a lot of money in Boise perhaps they put together a very attractive package for the NCAA and have better hotel accommodations.

Lol.. are you just ignoring certain posts in the thread? Maybe you have me on ignore and that's why you haven't admitted you were talking out of your *** when you said that Dayton is 4x bigger than Des Moines. It's already been answered- there are not enough hotel rooms within a close enough distance of the Well.

Sorry for jumping on ya, ssckelley. It just took awhile for you to catch up on the thread. My apologies.

nah, the thread was moving to damn fast. After I post I have to go back and read stuff, hence why I just triple posted.

It would be awesome to bring the NCAA to Iowa.

Some numbers:

Des Moines metro is the 88th largest @ 570K (possibly already over 600K by now)

Dayton is 66th largest @ 840K (and shrinking)

If Des Moines continues to grow, I wouldn't be shocked to see them attract an opening round in another decade...of course, there are a lot more factors than just pop, though.

You are forgetting that Columbus and Cincinnati are both an hour away from Dayton with enormous metros. Des Moines will never have that much population close to it and doesn't have near enough hotels.

If you have researched this already share! You have numbers on the hotel rooms in these different areas?

I did this last year when Boise was a host city and it was ******* me and a co-worker off. I spent a hole day at work on this. Sorry I didn't make a spreadsheet or anything. My source was the internet, so its all there for you already :D.

nah, the thread was moving to damn fast. After I post I have to go back and read stuff, hence why I just triple posted.It would be awesome to bring the NCAA to Iowa.

There is a lot of traffic tonight.

And yes, that would be totally awesome to see DSM host a few tourney games. I would be there in an instant, even if there weren't any Iowa teams involved.

don't forget Omaha has it again. There is at least 1 new hotels, the Hyatt Place. The Hampton Inn will break ground soon, and several others are planned near grays lake.

Also DSM will has already secured Southwest Airlines which will start in September.

don't forget Omaha has it again. There is at least 1 new hotels, the Hyatt Place. The Hampton Inn will break ground soon, and several others are planned near grays lake. Also DSM will has already secured Southwest Airlines which will start in September.

DSM is definitely growing. Hopefully the increased # of hotels allows us to host a few games in the near future.

Latest posts