Nate Stanley Champ or Chump

Will Nate Stanley Play like a CHAMP or CHUMP Saturday?

• Total voters
Kansas City? Chicago?

Not that he's beating out Mahomes or Trubisky, but I think you're talking about three or four years down the road anyway, and with another team if it happens at all.

He's got the raw physical talent and an NFL arm. The million dollar question is this; are his shortcomings on him or on how he's coached? It's probably some of both. But if you can't make plays consistently under duress, you won't last as an NFL quarterback. If you don't have a sense for when that pocket is collapsing, when the blindside rusher is bearing down, struggle with certain presnap reads, those are things that can only be coached so much.

I keep coming back to Scott Mitchell. He learned for several years as Dan Marino's backup, then had an OK run for a few years in Detroit (where he got to hand off to a pretty decent running back). If Stanley has an NFL future it's probably going to be as a Scott Mitchell type QB.
Zeke Bratkowski 2.0 playing behind Aaron Rodgers, learning for 3-4 years, would be my wish, including his future success.

His tendency to panic and difficulty running through more than one receiver will be a challenge.

Just want to get the pulse of everyone to see if we think Nate will bounce back or basically be overwhelmed in yet another big time game in Prime Time. I'm praying he is the same QB that demolished OSU a couple seasons ago but I have my doubts.

You know what seepig, I actually went back and watched the Michigan game. You know what, the offensive line still played like shit and got beat consistently in blitz pick up. I'm not even talking about the 8 sacks...there were several other times where Stanley got hit as he was throwing or just got it off before he got hit. If you want to act like it's all on Stanley...well...that's certainly your prerogative...but Stanley wasn't throwing the ball poorly at Michigan...and I'm willing to bet if he had time...he keeps hitting receivers and we win that ballgame.

He's the same QB...he just had time to throw against OSU. Our coaching staff needs to show they have an answer for all out pressure...because they will see it today against Penn State. You have to have a safety valve or have your back slip out in blitz pick up for a quick dump off...then you have Goodson one on one with linebacker. I'll take that matchup.

I don't see fear, I see him trying to make a play if anything it's him overthinking things. Nate needs more options against the blitz. That requires Nate to identify the pressure and get rid of the ball. I'm torn on this call, but I have to see Nate finish a game-winning or sealing drive before I say champ. He's just let too many victories slip out of his fingertips to say champ. Right now the worst thing Nate is doing is that backward spin move. It's not effective. I'd love to see him step sideways or forward, at least it's not a 15 yard loss.
Laying a big woppin, a career game, on the Badgers in Madison against his home state would be a huge career "winner" memory. Santa...this would be a nice early Christmas present for Nate and all of us! Thank you!

You know what seepig, I actually went back and watched the Michigan game. You know what, the offensive line still played like shit and got beat consistently in blitz pick up. I'm not even talking about the 8 sacks...there were several other times where Stanley got hit as he was throwing or just got it off before he got hit. If you want to act like it's all on Stanley...well...that's certainly your prerogative...but Stanley wasn't throwing the ball poorly at Michigan...and I'm willing to bet if he had time...he keeps hitting receivers and we win that ballgame.

He's the same QB...he just had time to throw against OSU. Our coaching staff needs to show they have an answer for all out pressure...because they will see it today against Penn State. You have to have a safety valve or have your back slip out in blitz pick up for a quick dump off...then you have Goodson one on one with linebacker. I'll take that matchup.
An experienced OC would work wonders for Nate and his legacy.

I don't think Ive ever seen an Iowa qb try and do what the coaches want more than Stanley. It reminds me a bit of Banks. KF wanted him to be what he wasn't. BB food try but he just couldn't. Stanley never waivers to try and please.

Don't think I've seen an Iowa QB be as slow in reaction as Stanley. That doesn't suit poor line play.

Not sure how much that is slow line play as much as a M defense that was sprinting agressively to the sack. Not sure Bama could have kept M out of the backfield with this QB and play calling.

Those who call KF critics Da Haters... Actually several of them are the same person with different names, this is the base of KF criticism.

The same criticism is what pounded ARob into Oblivion.

Stanley is big enough to be pounded on....for awhile. Same stubbornness that led to Florida pounding CJ.

Same stubbornness that led to McAff running wild in exploiting an injured player and not making changes.

KF makes Stanley look like a chump.

Stanley is not NFL material.

Earl Morrell would never be in today's NFL.

I don't think Ive ever seen an Iowa qb try and do what the coaches want more than Stanley. It reminds me a bit of Banks. KF wanted him to be what he wasn't. BB food try but he just couldn't. Stanley never waivers to try and please.

Don't think I've seen an Iowa QB be as slow in reaction as Stanley. That doesn't suit poor line play.

Not sure how much that is slow line play as much as a M defense that was sprinting agressively to the sack. Not sure Bama could have kept M out of the backfield with this QB and play calling.

Those who call KF critics Da Haters... Actually several of them are the same person with different names, this is the base of KF criticism.

Stanley is big enough to be pounded on....for awhile. Same stubbornness that led to Florida pounding CJ.

Same stubbornness that led to McAff running wild in exploiting an injured player and not making changes.

At least you admit the multi-alts thing. Finally.

Not sure what that is supposed to be, but speaking of the devil.....

You know exactly what it means. You know I have no Alts because I tell you I don't. The difference between you and me, I guess. I'm consistent, don't need to hide what I post, etc.

Quite the tell. Sorry I caught you off guard.

Stanley reminds me a lot of James Vandenburg his junior year when KOK was the OC.

Not particularly mobile
Strong Arm but not always accurate
Decent stats

You know exactly what it means. You know I have no Alts because I tell you I don't. The difference between you and me, I guess. I'm consistent, don't need to hide what I post, etc.

Quite the tell. Sorry I caught you off guard.

You catch me off guard.... You've never denied.

Where did you learn the art off gaslighting so well? You are good at it....give ya that.

Neither....he is a Chimp. ;)

s-l300.jpg

Too many people rush to the defense of players these days. Anyone criticizing has the right to do so. It doesnt mean they think they can do better. I like Nate Stanley. I want him to be good. I think he is pretty decent a lot of the time. That being said, he has deficiencies in his game that prohibit us from winning a conference championship or going to a playoff. I'm ok with 8-10 win seasons. But anyone upset with another for wanting more or evaluating Stanley's game for what it is, is just blinded by loyalty. I'll root for Nate. I'll root that he proves me wrong. God bless America i want to be wrong. But, he's not an All American. He wont be 1st or 2nd team all-Big Ten. Let's just say our chances with such an all-Big QB would be much better. I hope he plays like all-Big the rest of the year! Please! But anyone critical of others seeing and recognizing his shortcomings should pause and agree. Hes still seemingly a good kid and plays the game right. But it's ok to be critical of his flaws. They show up.

Your first paragraph reminds me of the old Damon Bailey saga. Bobby Knight had been hyping him from eighth grade on not so much on his ability but on how he understood the nuances of the game. Knight famously commented that Bailey was better than any of his current guards at the age of fourteen because of what he could see out there that others couldn't. Naturally Bailey arrives at IU and is so hell bent on trying to prove Knight correct that his game becomes paralysis by overanalysis. The fact that Bailey hit his growth spurt early, and that others finally caught up to him physically, didn't help either.

Bailey ended up having a solid career at IU, played in a final four, and scored over 1,700 points. But it was probably the most joyless 1,700 points ever. After graduation Bailey had a brief professional career but all the joy was gone. Last I heard he owned a car dealership in Indianapolis and pretty much completely turned his back on basketball.

Imo, NS's legacy is still up in the air. He could reach Stanzi stratosphere if Iowa has a good run here. Strictly looking at the resume he is already on par with Tate.........Not the eyeball test, strictly resume.

Agree with you and again tonight we are seeing more of the same.....he did miss that 6 yard slant for a TD.

Let's see

OOC record 11-0
Big Ten record 10-10

Trophy games 7-2
Bowl games 2-0

Division champs: 0
Conference champs 0

I would say that Stanley is the Champ of games that do not matter.
Great stats my man....I'm sure some folks are just going to beat you to death for testifying with fact but it is what it is. And again folks are getting my thread confused with Nate as a person I'm strictly asking for an opinion on his PERFORMANCE in games that really matter. Unless you're in a Big 6 Bowl don't give me bowl stuff.