Nate Stanley Champ or Chump

Will Nate Stanley Play like a CHAMP or CHUMP Saturday?

• Total voters
Nate Stanley CAN be a CHAMP at pro-level---as he is the prototypical NFL quarterback. However, this is college...all about the best ATHLETE back there (to make plays both thru air AND ground)...almost all teams in college know that and implement that, except us.

I like Nate, but he does seem at times to be afraid of getting hit when he drops back to pass and the pocket starts to collapse. Kind of like he goes into panic mode. I'm sure it's not fun getting hit by guys that weigh 270 pounds, but you have to keep your cool to make level headed decisions.

I wouldn't even put Nate in my top 5 of Iowa great QB's.

Last edited:
I like Nate, but he does seem at times to be afraid of getting hit when he drops back to pass and the pocket starts to collapse. Kind of like he goes into panic mode. I'm sure it's not fun getting hit by guys that weigh 270 pounds, but you have to keep your cool to make level headed decisions.

Possibly not in the Top 10. I would have to research that though.

I don’t think he’s afraid to get hit. The dude weighs 240lbs himself. I think he’s afraid to fumble.

If he has one guy hanging on him then he tries to make a play or throw it away. It’s hard for one guy to take him down.

I’d he has a guy hanging on him and sees two more coming at him or feels the pocket collapsing then he falls to the ground to keep the ball safe.

NS had a bad day at Michigan, but the dude is clearly a champ. For me, his legacy will be largely defined by the absolute dismantling of Ohio State a couple years ago. The strike he through for a score while an Ohio State defender was gnawing on his ankle is one of the top 10 plays of all time for me. Beating LSU in the Citrus bowl (Tate to Holloway) is tops. Great play that showcased the coaching staffs inability to manage the clock in crunch time.
One game defines his legacy?
Nate Stanley CAN be a CHAMP at pro-level---as he is the prototypical NFL quarterback. However, this is college...all about the best ATHLETE back there (to make plays both thru air AND ground)...almost all teams in college know that and implement that, except us.
What? You think he can handle an NFL defense blitzing? He can't handle a college defense blitzing, or throw the ball consistently over 10 yards accurately into a tight window. Sure he will once or twice a game maybe, but that's about it.

It’s a good team and we’re still in contention for the West, Stanley will fold.

After we lose this week I expect him to start playing well since we will he unranked and the West will be out of reach.

If Wisconsin happens to lose once and we go into that game with a chance to get the lead in the West you will see a performance worse then Michigan.

One game defines his legacy?

What? You think he can handle an NFL defense blitzing? He can't handle a college defense blitzing, or throw the ball consistently over 10 yards accurately into a tight window. Sure he will once or twice a game maybe, but that's about it.

I will always remember that game in thinking of NS, I had no idea of his overall record, or records in trophy games, so yes.....for me his legacy will be how he crushed Ohio State. Those that are part of the cancel culture will see the .500 record in BIG play, but if wasn’t that, you’d find another reason to bag in an athlete giving it all.

Champ all day.... just because I like him and realize he's just one key in the cog. But really, if you wanna rank him.... if he ends up this season with 8 or 9 wins .... he's Matt Sherman esque .... if he gets to the B1G CCG he's CJ esque .... if he wins the B1G he's #1.
There is only one #1 and he played for Fry, Chuck Long. A player better win a Heisman to beat him out.

I don't see fear, I see him trying to make a play if anything it's him overthinking things. Nate needs more options against the blitz. That requires Nate to identify the pressure and get rid of the ball. I'm torn on this call, but I have to see Nate finish a game-winning or sealing drive before I say champ. He's just let too many victories slip out of his fingertips to say champ. Right now the worst thing Nate is doing is that backward spin move. It's not effective. I'd love to see him step sideways or forward, at least it's not a 15 yard loss.

I put chump only because he is not creative enough to overcome the coaching deficiencies. Our QBs that have been champs were all mobile gunslinger types. Stanley is not that type.
Our ' coaching' makes it very hard. I call it 'stoneage' Nate tough. Believe he has big rest of season. Iowa Way on offense 'Hard' to Swallow

It’s a good team and we’re still in contention for the West, Stanley will fold.

After we lose this week I expect him to start playing well since we will he unranked and the West will be out of reach.

If Wisconsin happens to lose once and we go into that game with a chance to get the lead in the West you will see a performance worse then Michigan.

Let’s be fair here. That’s a Kirk coached football trend not just Stanley. He just emulates the offensive failures of this program.

I think ANY coach who really knows offense (someone like Chow did) could take this team to heights that Kirk and Brian will never comprehend. Now I do need to add here that Parker will need to be retained and carry on with the new coach. The current and precious defensive coordinator have saved Kirks ass. If Kirk just had an average defensive coordinator he would be totally effed.

You all did notice that two pathetic offenses this year scored twenty one points against Michigan and we haven’t even talked about what Wisconsin did to them. Rutgers is horrible and they just don’t count. There are 4A high schools with stronger offenses then Rutgers. Luckily we showed Rutgers how to do it by scoring three points. :cool:

Nate Stanley is an unpaid college student working his ass off, year round for the University of Iowa football program.

I am very much against attacking players so I will have to agree with Rob sentiments. Am I disappointed of course but I am sure Stanley tried his very best.

I do think Stanley will be picked up by an NFL team. When that happens then all his efforts will be rewarded financially and he will deserve it. So in that way it isn’t totally true that he is an unpaid college student. In terms of a accounting purposes these years of experience are going to earn him deferred payments ..................... and he deserves it.

Now if we through the grace of God somehow win out and miraculously win our conference title then I will admit my harshness was a bit strong toward the coaching staff and I will humbly admit it. The odds however are much greater that I will not be in that boat. (This last paragraph is not directed toward you Rob it’s just a comment I wanted to throw in here.)
Also there is absolutely no reason our program can’t be equal to or greater than Wisconsin’s. There again that has to come back to the coaching staff.

Nate Stanley is an unpaid college student working his ass off, year round for the University of Iowa football program.

I agree and none of these young men are chumps and none of them win or lose a game by themselves.

Even Harmon's 4 fumbles in the Rose Bowl could have been overshadowed by a great defensive effort that day but UCLA ran all over the hawks with Station injured. Total team game with up to 60+ players from a team playing in each game.

The second TD you're talking about wasn't a pick play, it was a screen. Stanley gets the ball out to Easley right away, making it legal for Smith and Groeneweg to block downfield for him. The NFL runs the shit out of them these days (namely the Patriots and the Packers).

Correct as Easley was behind or at the LOS so it was legal. And Okeefeforprez is nitpicking whether he got an illegal TD which many teams get away with all the time.

The fact was Nate led Easley very well with that pass as it was on the money and let Easley quickly run with the ball.

Nate isnt perfect but most QBs dont start right away in the pros or college. He should be drafted in a later round and if he gets some really good QB coaching to refine his talents and reading of defenses he can be a quality backup and may get a few starts or more. Big Ben is no speed merchant as is Tom Brady but they know how to slide around in the pocket. If a QB in the pros gets behind a great blocking offensive line they can flourish.

Correct as Easley was behind or at the LOS so it was legal. And Okeefeforprez is nitpicking whether he got an illegal TD which many teams get away with all the time.

The fact was Nate led Easley very well with that pass as it was on the money and let Easley quickly run with the ball.

Nate isnt perfect but most QBs dont start right away in the pros or college. He should be drafted in a later round and if he gets some really good QB coaching to refine his talents and reading of defenses he can be a quality backup and may get a few starts or more. Big Ben is no speed merchant as is Tom Brady but they know how to slide around in the pocket. If a QB in the pros gets behind a great blocking offensive line they can flourish.
Concur, drafted by a team down the draft board, which has an experienced QB Guru coach on the staff...would be the perfect fit for Nate to learn and grow without much pressure. I believe this would be a winning combination for him and a place to excel.

Neither were (is) Dan Marino, Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees. But you're point is spot on. You have to be crafty enough back there to buy those extra two or three seconds. It makes a monumental difference in allowing receivers to get open. It also helps the QB's chances of setting their feet, getting their shoulders squared, etc.

Concur, drafted by a team down the draft board, which has an experienced QB Guru coach on the staff...would be the perfect fit for Nate to learn and grow without much pressure. I believe this would be a winning combination for him and a place to excel.
Kansas City? Chicago?

Not that he's beating out Mahomes or Trubisky, but I think you're talking about three or four years down the road anyway, and with another team if it happens at all.

He's got the raw physical talent and an NFL arm. The million dollar question is this; are his shortcomings on him or on how he's coached? It's probably some of both. But if you can't make plays consistently under duress, you won't last as an NFL quarterback. If you don't have a sense for when that pocket is collapsing, when the blindside rusher is bearing down, struggle with certain presnap reads, those are things that can only be coached so much.

I keep coming back to Scott Mitchell. He learned for several years as Dan Marino's backup, then had an OK run for a few years in Detroit (where he got to hand off to a pretty decent running back). If Stanley has an NFL future it's probably going to be as a Scott Mitchell type QB.

Latest posts