Nate Stanley Champ or Chump

Will Nate Stanley Play like a CHAMP or CHUMP Saturday?

• Total voters

seepig

Just want to get the pulse of everyone to see if we think Nate will bounce back or basically be overwhelmed in yet another big time game in Prime Time. I'm praying he is the same QB that demolished OSU a couple seasons ago but I have my doubts.

Hock and Fant combined for 125 yards and 4 TDs that day. Call me a pessimist, but I'm not sure that we have 2 first rounders on the roster catching passes this year.

Never said he wasn't Rob most kids do. I was one of those unpaid kids once and at an NAIA school so I think Nate has a better deal than I did and deservedly so. AND again I'm hopeful we see Nate from 2 seasons ago. I don't think the coaches get him in the best situation to be successful but i'm not close enough to it to know the answer to that.

You make it sound like they just found him on the street in Menominee WI and said hey kid wanna play QB? He obviously has designs on playing at the next level, potentially, it's gotta be better Rob ie. his grasp of what constitutes intentional grounding. Having said that again I think the OL was atrocious last week which aided in his poor performance. It's a team effort in success and failure BUT everyone that follows the sport acknowledges the absolute impact poor QB play has on the failure or success of the game.

I think he has a better game. Hard for me to think the offense will THAT bad two weeks in a row. If we win, it will be closer to the Michigan win a few years ago vs the Ohio State game.

I still dont think Iowa wins this one, but it will be a better performance.
I think Nate is the same guy weve had for 3 years, hes not a game breaker, but hes no scrub.

It's a team effort in success and failure BUT everyone that follows the sport acknowledges the absolute impact poor QB play has on the failure or success of the game

The kid has gotten rocked against every defense with a pulse in the past 3 years. Inexplicably Urban just played some straight up vanilla defense against us that day and Hock and Fant just ate up their LBs. If this is like other games against good defenses, he's not even going to have time to set his feet before someone is in his face. The QB takes 100% of the blame for statistically poor games and losses, but the stinker losses have definitely been a team effort.

The kid has gotten rocked against every defense with a pulse in the past 3 years. Inexplicably Urban just played some straight up vanilla defense against us that day and Hock and Fant just ate up their LBs. If this is like other games against good defenses, he's not even going to have time to set his feet before someone is in his face. The QB takes 100% of the blame for statistically poor games and losses, but the stinker losses have definitely been a team effort.
Mississippi State had a top 5 defense in the country last year and Nate played very well despite no run game and despite no Fant.

I love how you know so much about Ohio State’s defensive schemes and know it was their style of play that led to Iowa’s big day that day. Funny I remember a play where a Dline player was hanging onto NS and he kept his balance and delivered a strike for a touchdown. I remember a perfect pass to Fant for a touchdown.

You’ve created this narrative in your head and repeated it so many times in your head you actually believe it to be true.

Mississippi State had a top 5 defense in the country last year and Nate played very well despite no run game and despite no Fant.

I love how you know so much about Ohio State’s defensive schemes and know it was their style of play that led to Iowa’s big day that day. Funny I remember a play where a Dline player was hanging onto NS and he kept his balance and delivered a strike for a touchdown. I remember a perfect pass to Fant for a touchdown.

You’ve created this narrative in your head and repeated it so many times in your head you actually believe it to be true.

Stanley played fine. He hit a 75 yard TD pass that accounting for over a third of his yards when MSU was sleeping on defense. He got a TD pass on an illegal pick play with good field position from the defense.

Stanley's performance against OSU was probably the best game I've ever personally witnessed an Iowa QB have. Maybe it's tied with the come back JVB orchestrated against Aaron Donald and Pitt. The kid hit everything in sight.

I put chump only because he is not creative enough to overcome the coaching deficiencies. Our QBs that have been champs were all mobile gunslinger types. Stanley is not that type.

Last edited:
Stanley played fine. He hit a 75 yard TD pass that accounting for over a third of his yards when MSU was sleeping on defense. He got a TD pass on an illegal pick play with good field position from the defense.

Stanley's performance against OSU was probably the best game I've ever personally witnessed an Iowa QB have. Maybe it's tied with the come back JVB orchestrated against Aaron Donald and Pitt. The kid hit everything in sight.
The second TD you're talking about wasn't a pick play, it was a screen. Stanley gets the ball out to Easley right away, making it legal for Smith and Groeneweg to block downfield for him. The NFL runs the shit out of them these days (namely the Patriots and the Packers).

Reactions: trj
It's AS disturbing that Miss St. and Michigan we've had a combined -4 yards rushing in those 8 quarters. Anyone still think putting the OL coach as the OC and bringing in an OC as the OL coach was a genius move by Kirk? Not to mention let's face it Kirk is trying to set up Brian as the next HC? Hell Snyder was trying to do the same thing with his son Sean here at K-State and as much as I admire Bill and Kirk nepotism rarely turns out to be a good idea.

Your thread title is different than your question . Title suggests Nate as person and the question posed refers to his play. I think Nate is a champ as a person. He has worked extremely hard and has represented his school well from what I can tell. As far as his play goes it depends on can the Oline protect him. If he gets time Saturday night I think he plays well. If they can't protect him it could get ugly. Still feeling this just isn't going our way. 24 10 Penn St.

Your thread title is different than your question . Title suggests Nate as person and the question posed refers to his play. I think Nate is a champ as a person. He has worked extremely hard and has represented his school well from what I can tell. As far as his play goes it depends on can the Oline protect him. If he gets time Saturday night I think he plays well. If they can't protect him it could get ugly. Still feeling this just isn't going our way. 24 10 Penn St.
Sorry and yes it absolutely was in regards to his PLAY absolutely nothing to do with him as a person. I think he's a great guy and I don't even know him other than on interviews. Good point let me see if I can edit the title.

I like you Nike.

Just want to get the pulse of everyone to see if we think Nate will bounce back or basically be overwhelmed in yet another big time game in Prime Time. I'm praying he is the same QB that demolished OSU a couple seasons ago but I have my doubts.

stop

NS had a bad day at Michigan, but the dude is clearly a champ. For me, his legacy will be largely defined by the absolute dismantling of Ohio State a couple years ago. The strike he through for a score while an Ohio State defender was gnawing on his ankle is one of the top 10 plays of all time for me. Beating LSU in the Citrus bowl (Tate to Holloway) is tops. Great play that showcased the coaching staffs inability to manage the clock in crunch time.

Let's see

OOC record 11-0
Big Ten record 10-10

Trophy games 7-2
Bowl games 2-0

Division champs: 0
Conference champs 0

I would say that Stanley is the Champ of games that do not matter.

Champ all day.... just because I like him and realize he's just one key in the cog. But really, if you wanna rank him.... if he ends up this season with 8 or 9 wins .... he's Matt Sherman esque .... if he gets to the B1G CCG he's CJ esque .... if he wins the B1G he's #1.

Latest posts