Name 1 positive thing about the 2012 FB season

That it only took 1 season to find out how bad Greg Davis is as offensive CORDINATOR. Had they won a couple of those close games people on here may try to defend him.

I now truly understand how good KOK was. I never thought I'd say it, but please bring him back. I just want to see us throw the ball downfield again. I'm not buying the "we dont have the players to do that" arguement. Other teams with less talent can get guys open downfield. That pass to end our game winning drive was a perfect exclamation point to the passing game this season. When you rank last, yes last, in passing touchdowns in the NCAA, and you are a program with the pride Iowa has in developing players, someone's head needs to roll.

I guess the positive is that I now no what the bottom for Iowa Football is offensively...only goes up from here. Or does it?

Loyalty will be taken to new levels after this year. Zero scheme changes, coaches changes or allowing next years underclass men to get valuable experience.

In short, no changes. That's a positive right?

I think one would have to be out of their mind to predict 7 wins for this team next year. No way.

As far as positives this year:

IOWA'S FANS.

Bad football team
Poor coaching

Guess what? Still 70,000 there yesterday, cheering like we had a chance..

I have "bragging rights" over my brother-in-law up here in 'Sota.

Christmas was brutal the last two years, finally I have the upper hand.

Loyalty will be taken to new levels after this year. Zero scheme changes, coaches changes or allowing next years underclass men to get valuable experience.

In short, no changes. That's a positive right?

I guess if you believe that change is always a bad thing, then yes. Positives - as someone else pointed out, that this season is bad enough that maybe finally some eyes will be opened to the problems with the football program. And maybe it will just be bad enough of an offense this year that GD will not be retained (although that's probably wishful thinking).

Special teams have been pretty good this year, which is normally a barometer for predicting future success.

Micah Hyde has had a great season.

Mark Weisman will be really fun to watch when he has a good supporting cast around him on offense.

When do the Heisman invites come out? I still think there's an outside chance Weisman gets an invite, that would be a nice end of the season honor.

I'm certainly not going to argue with any of the comments regarding how disappointing this season has been to date, and how badly the next two games could go. But, once you go through the mental triage on 2012 and start contemplating 2013, there are a few things that are cause for optimism:

1. The number of players getting into the defensive line rotation is a good thing and bodes very well for the future.

2. Ditto the above for the defensive backfield and the offensive line.

3. All three starting linebackers (love them or not) and their backups are back.

4. Kickers and punters back after doing as well as can be expected or better in 2012.

5. A bigger pool of players with experience in the offensive backfield, so perhaps we will have the numbers to overcome the dreaded injury/transfer storm that always seems to ravage us each off season.

Beyond that, it is above my pay grade as a fan. If the coaching staff wants to ignore the evidence in front of it that 2012, "the year of the horizontal offense" was an unmitigated disaster and press forward with the same philosophy, all the reasons above as cause for optimism will once again be negated.

So, that's my .02 cents on how to spread the manure, it is no fun while it is manure, but hopefully next spring something better comes from it. [insert happy face]

The only thing good that could come from this season is if KF wakes up and realizes he better make some drastic changes to his offensive philosophy. If he sees the big picture and how the college game has changed to a fast paced, wide open track meet, then maybe he will adjust and adapt. If he brings in someone to OVERHAUL the offense and get creative and join the rest of the country in scoring points, then this season is not a total waste.

If next year is the same ol, same ol on offense, just with a different QB, well then.....good night and good luck.

Latest posts