Mystery transfer revealed?

herkyattack

Pepperdine's Jordan Baker visited Iowa's campus recently per Rob Howe. He averaged just over 11 ppg and shot 37% from three as a sophomore last year. He is a 6'4", 195 pound shooting guard, but has pretty good handles and court vision and could probably fill in some at point guard if needed.

Many Pepperdine fans/writers were expecting Baker to become the primary offensive threat as a junior.

Some Pepperdine fans have speculated that a DUI arrest (unsure whether alcohol or drug related) may have caused him to get kicked out of the university, as Pepperdine has a zero tolerance alcohol/drug policy.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=210&f=1132&t=11420741&p=2

Last edited:
Too bad you guys don't take any transfers without sparkling, squeaky clean pasts. This guy has THUG written all over him.

If he can overcome the average college students' activities, perhaps there is a place for him. He can score, take it to the hole, stop and hit a mid range jump shot or three and create his own shot. Not only that we need someone with a thuglike mentality to deal with MSU.....

Slightly tongue in cheek but also somewhat serious.....

:rolleyes:

Too bad you guys don't take any transfers without sparkling, squeaky clean pasts. This guy has THUG written all over him.

Mac-Daddy obviously struggling to keep up with that powerhouse program just down the road from Iowa City.

Pepperdine's Jordan Baker visited Iowa's campus recently per Rob Howe. He averaged just over 11 ppg and shot 37% from three as a sophomore last year. He is a 6'4", 195 pound shooting guard, but has pretty good handles and court vision and could probably fill in some at point guard if needed.

Many Pepperdine fans/writers were expecting Baker to become the primary offensive threat as a junior.

Some Pepperdine fans have speculated that a DUI arrest (unsure whether alcohol or drug related) may have caused him to get kicked out of the university, as Pepperdine has a zero tolerance alcohol/drug policy.

Scout.com: Possible DUI for Baker

He does look pretty smooth with the ball in his hands. I like the pace that he plays at... he seems to be under control. Should probably take into consideration those are his highlights however.

I won't pretend to be a basketball expert. I'm far from it. The first question that came to my mind was... Do we really need him?

It seems to me like there is already pretty good depth all around on the team. With Gesell, Clemmons, Marble, Oglesby, and Jok coming in I'm not sure the Hawks NEED him. I suppose At 6'4 he does have nice size for a shooting guard. That and his presence could prove to be pretty valuable in the case one or two guys go down with injuries. I trust Fran knows what he's doing if he is going after him. Can always make room for a solid all-around SG with nice size.

3.4 turnovers/game is alarming. And only a 67% FT shooter. He would definitely to get better in those two areas before going through a B1G schedule. But as mentioned in this thread, good size, looks to have good quickness and decent enough fg/3pt shooter.

He does look pretty smooth with the ball in his hands. I like the pace that he plays at... he seems to be under control. Should probably take into consideration those are his highlights however.

I won't pretend to be a basketball expert. I'm far from it. The first question that came to my mind was... Do we really need him?

It seems to me like there is already pretty good depth all around on the team. With Gesell, Clemmons, Marble, Oglesby, and Jok coming in I'm not sure the Hawks NEED him. I suppose At 6'4 he does have nice size for a shooting guard. That and his presence could prove to be pretty valuable in the case one or two guys go down with injuries. I trust Fran knows what he's doing if he is going after him. Can always make room for a solid all-around SG with nice size.

The bolded part of my previous post got me thinking...

I remember not too long ago when we had guys like John Lickliter, Cully Payne, Andrew Brommer, and Brennan Cougill not only taking up spots on the roster, but actually getting minutes. Man when you think about the fact the Hawkeyes bench (depending on who starts) will have guys like Oleseni, Jok, Oglesby, Uthoff, and McCabe it really makes you realize how much the talent has improved in Iowa City since Fran took over. It's night and day compared to what was in the cupboard during Lickliter's reign.

The bolded part of my previous post got me thinking...

I remember not too long ago when we had guys like John Lickliter, Cully Payne, Andrew Brommer, and Brennan Cougill not only taking up spots on the roster, but actually getting minutes. Man when you think about the fact the Hawkeyes bench (depending on who starts) will have guys like Oleseni, Jok, Oglesby, Uthoff, and McCabe it really makes you realize how much the talent has improved in Iowa City since Fran took over. It's night and day compared to what was in the cupboard during Lickliter's reign.

It helps when you best players don't leave every year because they hate the coach.

From what I can see he fills a skill set that Iowa does not currently have much of. A guy who can break people down and get all the way to the rim and he appears to have a decent pull up, decent passing, and decent out side shooting to compliment it.

Gessel Clemmons and Jok might become guys who can do that but right now they can't do it well enough and this guy is bigger and or more explosive.

Does Iowa "need" him, no, but I say if he wants to come bring him on.

Fran will still have 3 to give after that.

3.4 turnovers/game is alarming. And only a 67% FT shooter. He would definitely to get better in those two areas before going through a B1G schedule. But as mentioned in this thread, good size, looks to have good quickness and decent enough fg/3pt shooter.

6'4" 195 lbs is good size for a SG?

It helps when you best players don't leave every year because they hate the coach.

Gatens was the best player every year he was at Iowa, so those other guys were just players. Iowa had a lot of players transfer under the previous coach and I don't feel any of them were better than Gatens.

6'4" 195 lbs is good size for a SG?

Other getting a little stronger, for college, yes. But that was beyond my point. My main point was that he has some issues that could make him a liability playing through a B1G slate, especially while playing for a team that plays at a fast pace.

Other getting a little stronger, for college, yes. But that was beyond my point. My main point was that he has some issues that could make him a liability playing through a B1G slate, especially while playing for a team that plays at a fast pace.

One of those issues would be him weighing only 195 pounds. He doesn't have good size.

Latest posts