my thoughts (read:overreactions) after exhibition

I think people need to temper their "Patrick needs to add weight" comments. Its been stated that because of his cancer he basically can't gain weight that easily. I don't think a redshirt is going to fix anything. He's likely going to be a twig his whole life....might as well accept it and get used to it.

I will say that Patrick showed me more than I expected...but I didn't expect much of anything.

CJF was impressive in his debut. He has a quick shot and isn't afraid to launch it up. After the game JW had nothing but glowing praise for CJ...apparently they're roommates. He seems to have some size to him as well which is good to see. Hopefully he quickly makes us forget about moss.

JW is just a beast.

Joe is super quick. Seemed out of control at times, but that will come

Evelyn, CMac, Kriener were all very "MEH"

Garza and Nunge were fine

I've always wondered what Kriener would do if he was the focal big man on a team. He has a very solid overall game and does things like what you mention above. I like that cat's game. He could be a nightly 12pt, 8 rebound, 3-4 assists, 1 steal per game type player.

If I was down at the Y and playing pick-up games, I'd take him first on my team.
You'd have to imagine he'd be like an all conference player in the Valley - I like his game too. I just wish his teammates would know that he's going to pass them the ball.
I thought he traveled three or four times last night. He drags his pivot foot on the catch a lot. He’s definitely going to get called for a few travels this year with that move. He got called for it last year some.

I thought he traveled three or four times last night. He drags his pivot foot on the catch a lot. He’s definitely going to get called for a few travels this year with that move. He got called for it last year some.

Hadn't really noticed that, I will try and pay attention to it. It just drives me nuts when he passes the ball off - It's typically like when he looks to be going up for a shot, but then dumps it off last second to someone else in the lane. That player is almost never ready for that pass.... so it makes me wonder if he doesn't do it in practice and just takes the shot and then hesitates in games? It just seems like it's been a thing for the last 2 seasons tho.

I didn't watch last night's game but know exactly the move you are talking about. I can envision it and him doing it.

I think people need to temper their "Patrick needs to add weight" comments. Its been stated that because of his cancer he basically can't gain weight that easily. I don't think a redshirt is going to fix anything. He's likely going to be a twig his whole life....might as well accept it and get used to it.

I will say that Patrick showed me more than I expected...but I didn't expect much of anything.

CJF was impressive in his debut. He has a quick shot and isn't afraid to launch it up. After the game JW had nothing but glowing praise for CJ...apparently they're roommates. He seems to have some size to him as well which is good to see. Hopefully he quickly makes us forget about moss.

JW is just a beast.

Yea, I'm not sure at this point either. He might be able to gain a little but he has so far to go in some people's eyes. He's learned to play with his body type so he may be able to adjust it to BIG or learn how to play with it in the BIG. I don't think the coaches are going to ask him to bang on the post anyway. He just may have to play that slasher role, driving to shoot or dish, etc..

I also think people need to temper their expectations. It is what it is.

JW is just a beast.

I thought Pat really showed his athleticism. At 6’9 he runs and jumps very well. He played mostly the 4 last night because the team we played was undersized but he will settle in at the 3 when we get Pemsl back.

I think we will play a lot of zone when he plays but I don’t think he will get bullied too bad by 3 players. Basketball is going more finesse anyways. His length should effect a lot of passes and shots on the defensive end. Depending on minutes I would not be surprised if he is second on the team in blocks behind Nunge.

The last piece is the 3pt shooting. Apparently he’s been lighting it up in practice. If he can shoot something like 36% from deep I think he goes from a high energy reserve guy who plays 10-14 minutes a game to a we need to get this guy 20 minutes a night. I guess that shouldn’t be too surprising given he was a 4* recruit.

Last edited:
I thought Pat really showed his athleticism. At 6’9 he runs and jumps very well. He played mostly the 4 last night because the team we played was undersized but he will settle in at the 3 when we get Pemsl back.

I think we will play a lot of zone when he plays but I don’t think he will get bullied to bad by 3 players. Basketball is going more finesse anyways. His length should effect a lot of passes and shots on the defensive end. Depending on minutes I would not be surprised if he is second on the team in blocks behind Nunge.

The last piece is the 3pt shooting. Apparently he’s been lighting it up in practice. If he can shoot something like 36% from deep I think he goes from a high energy reserve guy who plays 10-14 minutes a game to a we need to get this guy 20 minutes a night. I guess that shouldn’t be too surprising given he was a 4* recruit.

Yeah thats the thought process I have with him as well. Its not like they're going to match-up Patrick vs "Gigantic Post Player from Michigan State". He'll either be part of the 2/3 zone or vs a stretch 4/wing type player. Uthoff wasn't muscular either but could still use his length to block shots. White on the other hand wasn't a beast but was very athletic and "headsy" which made up for it.

To see Patrick already slamming alley-oops as a freshman is encouraging...that's in-line with what White was doing.

I think we will play a lot of zone when he plays but I don’t think he will get bullied to bad by 3 players. Basketball is going more finesse anyways. His length should effect a lot of passes and shots on the defensive end. Depending on minutes I would not be surprised if he is second on the team in blocks behind Nunge.

Exactly. It's a different game now. Long gone are the Patrick Ewing's trying to live on the post and Charles Barkley banging bodies. Not that way anymore. It is all about spacing to spread the defense and open up the middle. Teams on D now have to literally cover 4 guys who can shoot the 3 ball. The game is about shooting over people, spreading the floor, and driving on people if they cover you tight. Drive to shoot or to dish or kick-out.

Do coaches even still use the 1-5 number system to assign players anymore? Prob use 1 for a true PG and 5 for a true center on the floor, but 2-4 now are pretty interchangeable players.

Yeah thats the thought process I have with him as well. Its not like they're going to match-up Patrick vs "Gigantic Post Player from Michigan State". He'll either be part of the 2/3 zone or vs a stretch 4/wing type player. Uthoff wasn't muscular either but could still use his length to block shots. White on the other hand wasn't a beast but was very athletic and "headsy" which made up for it.

To see Patrick already slamming alley-oops as a freshman is encouraging...that's in-line with what White was doing.

He'll also be instrumental playing their 3/4 court or 1/2 court 1-3-1 or any other press.

I think it's going to be a fun season. No real expectations for the team that seems to have the basics for a good team... I don't think people give Fran enough credit for pulling Connor when he deserves it... I think where it's skewed a bit, was when they didn't have the resources to backup JBo and had to live with what they had until they could get JBo the rest he needed and develop depth.

I think it's going to be a fun season. No real expectations for the team that seems to have the basics for a good team... I don't think people give Fran enough credit for pulling Connor when he deserves it... I think where it's skewed a bit, was when they didn't have the resources to backup JBo and had to live with what they had until they could get JBo the rest he needed and develop depth.
The problem is if we don’t have quality PG depth Fran is the one at fault.

The bottom line is this, Connor McCaffery’s performance will determine the level of scrutiny for Fran. If he doesn’t play well, but yet he still remains the starter or best option, that’s still a bad look for Fran.

The problem is if we don’t have quality PG depth Fran is the one at fault.

The bottom line is this, Connor McCaffery’s performance will determine the level of scrutiny for Fran. If he doesn’t play well, but yet he still remains the starter or best option, that’s still a bad look for Fran.
I was hoping evelyn would start the first game, but it is unlikely now he will beat out the coaches son. I could see where evelyn would be kind of bummed out. If Connor is the point guard this year, its hard to believe the point guard from New York will beat him out in the years to come.

CMC-He is what he is, good ball handler and passer at times, not much else, I don't like him as much as others and I don't dislike him as much as others
JW-could have a huge year if he is less timid, he is our best player all around
CJ-great shooter, I think he is someone who can help us stay in big games, and could help team go on big runs/comebacks
Garza-Same old, not pretty but dammit does he get the job done
Nunge-looks far more comfortable and competent out there and added weight will help him, my bugaboo with him is he stands at the 3 point line too long sometimes and ruins spacing but easily fixable if the coaches even have an issue with it
Patrick-IMO would benefit from a redshirt year...just too skinny and was getting pushed around by an NAIA team, I can presume big ten guys would have their way with him, feel free to disagree...i do think he will have a great career when it's all said and done
Till-not a D1 player...don't tell his mom or sister I said that tho. It stands to reason if you don't play much in an exhibition you probably won't play much in regular season
Joe T-quickest first step on team, I'm very excited to see how he does this year and the next 4 years and he can help defend against some of the great B1G guards. He showed a lot of toughness and desire, you can see the NY in him
BE-didn't look very good to me, but that could change as season goes on and he gets more comfortable with team and system
J Bo-not much to say other than I think with other point guards taking some of his load away he will have a big year if he can be 100%
Pemsl-suspended, will be interested to see what kind of minutes he gets, he brings a toughness to team that I personally enjoy i.e.-Iowa St last year
Kriener-he will have his moments like last year, can provide a good energy/spark to team

I am not an IowaLaw burner btw lol, no offense Law
I agree with whole lot of this. So for fun I'll throw my 2 cents out

JW best player. We'll be leaning on him to be the man night in and night out. Hopefully he's up to it.

Garza will have big nights against teams/players he matches up well against. He'll be #2 in importance of being on the floor a lot. He has offensive skills down low. He'll need to stay out of foul trouble. It's the nights he doesn't have matchups in his favor that he's still gotta be an effective player for us.

Nunge looks the part now. Noticeably stronger. Hopefully he'll be aggressive and play to it. I don't mind him stretching the floor sometimes and hitting outside shots. But I'd like him inside drawing fouls and getting to the line getting offensive boards his fair share too.

CJF I'm sold. I know it's one game yadda yadda. But I think he's what Fran had in mind for that spot when he got kids like Ellingson to come. CJF is more athletic (not explosive or even in Mosses category of it) But he's athletic enough to play D and not be a liability and offensively he's a deadly catch and shoot player. Can put it on the floor some and I dunno I may eat these words later on him but I'm sold and have a hard on for the guy. He'll be a big time difference maker the more he plays.

Joe T. We got to see a little bit of what he's going to be about. His jumper isn't smooth and he'll have his on and off nights with that. But he's an aggressive strong unafraid freshman with potential oozing out of him as well. Not a shoot first guy runs with his head up on the break. I think teammates will love him

BE yeah I'll be nice and reserve any judgement on him. Wasn't too impressed with his presence out there so I'll take the wait and see approach before casting any negative 2 cents takes on him.

JBo I was fired up to just see him out there. He was extremely passive and not forcing anything. Totally fine by me. He had nothing to prove to anyone. Hit his first shot nothing but net. Hope he gets to being his old self soon enough.

CM. I agree with you on him too he is who he is. Won't set the world on fire but won't be a huge liability. He did have that one TO where they had a fast break on it and JW hustled back to block their kids layup. Well CM didn't run back on it. I'm not a fan of that lack of hustle period especially after he committed the TO. Guarantee you he'll get singled out in the film room over that. But he will play a ton I'm sure.

PM. Dude is a string bean still and will be for awhile. I agree a RS yr would have been best for him but he'll be asked to give us a little bit of what Baer used to. Hustle plays at both ends and whatever we can get offensively from him. I think we saw a taste of that too last night. He can run the floor and get open court buckets. Anything more then that this year would be a bonus. I think he'll get pushed around a great deal once big boy hoops gets going in the BIG

If this was a hockey or FB team I would be more concerned...play the guy, we need any talent we get on the floor.

It's not like he's just a shooter. If he's gonna keep penetrating towards the hoop he's gonna get banged around. He might benefit from a year to work on bulking up a little.

Connor had 11 assists but he was "bad". LOL. I thought for an exhibition game the Hawks didn't look bad at all. Actually the starters played very well and I'm encouraged by Toussaint and Patrick.
Who said he was bad? Connor was fine, if you watched the games the assists were mostly passing to wide open jump shooters. Again he didn’t do anything bad it was an exhibition game hard to get a read.

I think it’s fair for people to question whether he’s starting point guard in the B1G quality. He will have a chance to prove those ppl wrong.

Latest posts