my thoughts (read:overreactions) after exhibition

Realistic

CMC-He is what he is, good ball handler and passer at times, not much else, I don't like him as much as others and I don't dislike him as much as others
JW-could have a huge year if he is less timid, he is our best player all around
CJ-great shooter, I think he is someone who can help us stay in big games, and could help team go on big runs/comebacks
Garza-Same old, not pretty but dammit does he get the job done
Nunge-looks far more comfortable and competent out there and added weight will help him, my bugaboo with him is he stands at the 3 point line too long sometimes and ruins spacing but easily fixable if the coaches even have an issue with it
Patrick-IMO would benefit from a redshirt year...just too skinny and was getting pushed around by an NAIA team, I can presume big ten guys would have their way with him, feel free to disagree...i do think he will have a great career when it's all said and done
Till-not a D1 player...don't tell his mom or sister I said that tho. It stands to reason if you don't play much in an exhibition you probably won't play much in regular season
Joe T-quickest first step on team, I'm very excited to see how he does this year and the next 4 years and he can help defend against some of the great B1G guards. He showed a lot of toughness and desire, you can see the NY in him
BE-didn't look very good to me, but that could change as season goes on and he gets more comfortable with team and system
J Bo-not much to say other than I think with other point guards taking some of his load away he will have a big year if he can be 100%
Pemsl-suspended, will be interested to see what kind of minutes he gets, he brings a toughness to team that I personally enjoy i.e.-Iowa St last year
Kriener-he will have his moments like last year, can provide a good energy/spark to team

I am not an IowaLaw burner btw lol, no offense Law

Till made one of the sweetest plays of the night. That one hand save on the throw underneath the hoop was sick. I think if Bohannon can go at 100% this year, we have a starting 5 that's pretty damn good. Connor is ok and after today I see why he started. Evelyn looked bad and Joe T doesn't quite look ready. If he comes along quickly he could easily beat out Connor by Big 10 play tho.

Till made one of the sweetest plays of the night. That one hand save on the throw underneath the hoop was sick. I think if Bohannon can go at 100% this year, we have a starting 5 that's pretty damn good. Connor is ok and after today I see why he started. Evelyn looked bad and Joe T doesn't quite look ready. If he comes along quickly he could easily beat out Connor by Big 10 play tho.
Based on tonight, Evelyn would look like the odd man out in the backcourt if Jbo is indeed healthy. The funny thing is ppl were saying he killed it in the exhibition game. Don’t want to overreact too much to one game. These games don’t really have much for flow.

-CJF, he looked better than I thought he would, a little more athletic than I thought he would be. Still below B1G average athletically for a wing spot

-JoeW, boy is he gonna be good. Didn't even seem like he shot the ball and he scored 19 pts? I mean 19 pts off 8 shots, he is pretty crazy effecient

-Garza, I really liked what he did down low, I really like his game. I also like that Iowa spread the court more it seemed, not as much down screening, but more outside perimeter offense with Garza working down low.

-Connor, meh. I mean I like aspects of his game, but what are we doing with that slow of a PG being in the B1G? We should always have a guard as athletic and able to handle the ball as Joe T is.

-Nunge, thought he looked good, will be a matchup problem many nights for teams this year.

-Joe T, needs time. I think he will be a good one, but he will need time to adjust and get used to B1G BB.

-Patrick, really like his game, and he is gonna be a very good slasher/scorer for us. Same thing as JoeT though, needs a year.

-EB, didn't look good tonight, but I think he will be better than he was tonight.

-Kriener, he is what he is. He is a great guy to have who does the dirty work, and is fine with 8 min. or 20 minutes, good team guy.

-Jbo, obviously I have been saying in other threads I don't see him playing this year with what I saw tonight.

Overall I think we will have many of the same issues as all Fran teams have had since he got here really:

1) Below average PG play (Connor just isn't going to be a + night in and night out in the B1G vs his peers)
2) Lack of defense. I didn't see anyone who looked like they were gonna be some huge upgrade over what we were defensively last year
3) Too big of a rotation, I think Fran is gonna keep playing 10-11 guys on a nightly basis.
4) I don't see this as being a NCAA team this year. I thought the same thing last year going into the season and was wrong, hopefully Fran proves me wrong again.

My reactions. CJF is living up to the hype. Everything else was pretty much as expected.

Excited for the future of Joe T, but he’s going to need some time to develop.

-CJF, he looked better than I thought he would, a little more athletic than I thought he would be. Still below B1G average athletically for a wing spot

-JoeW, boy is he gonna be good. Didn't even seem like he shot the ball and he scored 19 pts? I mean 19 pts off 8 shots, he is pretty crazy effecient

-Garza, I really liked what he did down low, I really like his game. I also like that Iowa spread the court more it seemed, not as much down screening, but more outside perimeter offense with Garza working down low.

-Connor, meh. I mean I like aspects of his game, but what are we doing with that slow of a PG being in the B1G? We should always have a guard as athletic and able to handle the ball as Joe T is.

-Nunge, thought he looked good, will be a matchup problem many nights for teams this year.

-Joe T, needs time. I think he will be a good one, but he will need time to adjust and get used to B1G BB.

-Patrick, really like his game, and he is gonna be a very good slasher/scorer for us. Same thing as JoeT though, needs a year.

-EB, didn't look good tonight, but I think he will be better than he was tonight.

-Kriener, he is what he is. He is a great guy to have who does the dirty work, and is fine with 8 min. or 20 minutes, good team guy.

-Jbo, obviously I have been saying in other threads I don't see him playing this year with what I saw tonight.

Overall I think we will have many of the same issues as all Fran teams have had since he got here really:

1) Below average PG play (Connor just isn't going to be a + night in and night out in the B1G vs his peers)
2) Lack of defense. I didn't see anyone who looked like they were gonna be some huge upgrade over what we were defensively last year
3) Too big of a rotation, I think Fran is gonna keep playing 10-11 guys on a nightly basis.
4) I don't see this as being a NCAA team this year. I thought the same thing last year going into the season and was wrong, hopefully Fran proves me wrong again.
On the season analysis, I just go back to last years early games. Iowa struggled a bit and everyone, myself included was up in arms. Then we went and rolled in MSG.

You can’t get a read off these games. It’s hard to guard and rebound against a bunch of guys 5 inches shorter than you that chuck terrible shots from deep and scramble around. There is simply no flow.

It seemed like our starters rebounded well and the reserves rebounded horribly. Hopefully that's the case because I don't think we will see those 5 guys on the court at the same time much this year. I'm pretty sure Patrick played the 4 in that lineup.

Patrick-IMO would benefit from a redshirt year...just too skinny and was getting pushed around by an NAIA team, I can presume big ten guys would have their way with him, feel free to disagree...i do think he will have a great career when it's all said and done
I thought Patrick looked like an athletic, but shorter Les Jepsen

On the season analysis, I just go back to last years early games. Iowa struggled a bit and everyone, myself included was up in arms. Then we went and rolled in MSG.

You can’t get a read off these games. It’s hard to guard and rebound against a bunch of guys 5 inches shorter than you that chuck terrible shots from deep and scramble around. There is simply no flow.

Totally agree, trying to glean anything from a glorified scrimmage is nearly impossible. I would say that the season analysis is more of a pre season analysis more than anything else.

Totally agree, trying to glean anything from a glorified scrimmage is nearly impossible. I would say that the season analysis is more of a pre season analysis more than anything else.

That exhibition was super important. After all, it had 2 game threads!

Hawks kicked ass and are gonna be a NCAA tournament team!!!!

Oh, and dean, I did pay the 15 bucks. Just in case you're keeping track. :)

That exhibition was super important. After all, it had 2 game threads!

Hawks kicked ass and are gonna be a NCAA tournament team!!!!

Oh, and dean, I did pay the 15 bucks. Just in case you're keeping track. :)

You are a good and honest man @ssckelley. Did you mean to pay $15 for all B1G schools, or just not see that you could select Iowa alone and pay $9.99?

Not trying to take too much from one game

I thought Nunge looked good but I hope he doesn't always settle for 3's. He's looks much bigger and much more comfortable on the court

Bakari looked timid. His one 3 pointer was one of the worst shots I've seen a Hawkeye throw up.

Joe T looked a little out of control. It's going to take time for him to adjust and be ready to play at this level. Thankfully we do have some depth there to help ease him in. If he can contribute he'll play

Our bigs still have NO idea that Kriener is going to pass the ball do they? Does he not do that in practice? He makes some sweet passed in the post but none of our players are ever ready for them.

I wish Jordan had played more to give me more hope he was 100.

Connor looked bad. He had a couple of bad passes and turnovers. If he's not going to play a pretty much flawless game with the rock, then he doesn't add any value. He did hit a 3 which was nice to see.

Joe W looked like he's poised for a big year. I noticed that he was talking a lot more on the court especially on defense. I am hoping he's found his voice on the team and will become a leader.

CJF was the most impressive. If he can shoot like that all the time he's going to be on the floor the majority of the time.

Pat - skinny, could benefit from a RS - but has much more game then I expected. I thought he played well.

CMC-He is what he is, good ball handler and passer at times, not much else, I don't like him as much as others and I don't dislike him as much as others
JW-could have a huge year if he is less timid, he is our best player all around
CJ-great shooter, I think he is someone who can help us stay in big games, and could help team go on big runs/comebacks
Garza-Same old, not pretty but dammit does he get the job done
Nunge-looks far more comfortable and competent out there and added weight will help him, my bugaboo with him is he stands at the 3 point line too long sometimes and ruins spacing but easily fixable if the coaches even have an issue with it
Till-not a D1 player...don't tell his mom or sister I said that tho. It stands to reason if you don't play much in an exhibition you probably won't play much in regular season
Joe T-quickest first step on team, I'm very excited to see how he does this year and the next 4 years and he can help defend against some of the great B1G guards. He showed a lot of toughness and desire, you can see the NY in him
BE-didn't look very good to me, but that could change as season goes on and he gets more comfortable with team and system
J Bo-not much to say other than I think with other point guards taking some of his load away he will have a big year if he can be 100%
Pemsl-suspended, will be interested to see what kind of minutes he gets, he brings a toughness to team that I personally enjoy i.e.-Iowa St last year
Kriener-he will have his moments like last year, can provide a good energy/spark to team

I am not an IowaLaw burner btw lol, no offense Law

Nice. Thanks.

JW and CJ - These two sharpshooters on the floor for Iowa at the same time could provide huge dividends. Throw Jo Bo in at the same time and who you gunna guard?
Joe T. - Very excited for this player as it has been such a need for this team. That quick defender. I almost think this may be more important from him than anything. If he brings a drive and dish game than great and more benefit. His defense with the 3 headed shooters could provide that net points to win those close games Iowa has given up in the past.

All the other players are very nice role players who fit in nicely. I like the make-up of this team.

You bring in X Foster next year and he's the X factor for a very formidable and stout team that is still relatively young but with some nice experience.

One problem, his dad's the coach.

Not trying to take too much from one game

I thought Nunge looked good but I hope he doesn't always settle for 3's. He's looks much bigger and much more comfortable on the court

Bakari looked timid. His one 3 pointer was one of the worst shots I've seen a Hawkeye throw up.

Joe T looked a little out of control. It's going to take time for him to adjust and be ready to play at this level. Thankfully we do have some depth there to help ease him in. If he can contribute he'll play

Our bigs still have NO idea that Kriener is going to pass the ball do they? Does he not do that in practice? He makes some sweet passed in the post but none of our players are ever ready for them.

I wish Jordan had played more to give me more hope he was 100.

Connor looked bad. He had a couple of bad passes and turnovers. If he's not going to play a pretty much flawless game with the rock, then he doesn't add any value. He did hit a 3 which was nice to see.

Joe W looked like he's poised for a big year. I noticed that he was talking a lot more on the court especially on defense. I am hoping he's found his voice on the team and will become a leader.

CJF was the most impressive. If he can shoot like that all the time he's going to be on the floor the majority of the time.

Pat - skinny, could benefit from a RS - but has much more game then I expected. I thought he played well.

I've always wondered what Kriener would do if he was the focal big man on a team. He has a very solid overall game and does things like what you mention above. I like that cat's game. He could be a nightly 12pt, 8 rebound, 3-4 assists, 1 steal per game type player.

If I was down at the Y and playing pick-up games, I'd take him first on my team.

It seemed like our starters rebounded well and the reserves rebounded horribly. Hopefully that's the case because I don't think we will see those 5 guys on the court at the same time much this year. I'm pretty sure Patrick played the 4 in that lineup.
Pat was at the 4, Evelyn was at the 3, Jbo was at the 2. Overall it was a bad rebounding lineup. It’s also hard to rebound when the other team is chucking up bad shots. I’m not concerned about that yet.

I did include rebounding as a strength for this years team, which was likely my boldest strength. We shall see how it turns out.

I've always wondered what Kriener would do if he was the focal big man on a team. He has a very solid overall game and does things like what you mention above. I like that cat's game. He could be a nightly 12pt, 8 rebound, 3-4 assists, 1 steal per game type player.

If I was down at the Y and playing pick-up games, I'd take him first on my team.

You'd have to imagine he'd be like an all conference player in the Valley - I like his game too. I just wish his teammates would know that he's going to pass them the ball.

Latest posts