My First Fearfull Hawkeyes Prediction for 2013 Football Season

I think your take is too optimistic, John. With the retention of Davis, I have zero faith that Ferentz can get this program turned around again.

It is possible that kirk will not get the program turned around, but I doubt the next ten coaches will do better, if as well.

This has to be the year. If Scherff leaves for the NFL, we will lose 2 starting tackles and 3 reserves. We may have 5 talented linemen, but no experience behind it for any injury losses. That will put us back to last years status. Hopefully Scherff stays 2 more years. We also lose 3 starting linebackers. That is the other area that scares me for 2014. So 2013 better be our kick it up a gear year. We will lose a couple of other good players in 2014, but I think their is backups in place for those loses. At this time (which is way too far in advance to be discussing 2014), I like this years potential concerns compared to next years potential concerns.

I don't see Scherff leaving. There are also some young players who will be ready to contribute next year. As far as the LBs go, the guys getting ready to step in will have been in the program a while and have shown they are capable, but more importantly the D line will have much more experience. Prater and Buford showed a lot of promise at DB and will be experienced.

But again, the only thing more consistent than AIRBHG is KF's three year pattern, so everything else is really irrelevant.

I don't see Scherff leaving. There are also some young players who will be ready to contribute next year. As far as the LBs go, the guys getting ready to step in will have been in the program a while and have shown they are capable, but more importantly the D line will have much more experience. Prater and Buford showed a lot of promise at DB and will be experienced.

But again, the only thing more consistent than AIRBHG is KF's three year pattern, so everything else is really irrelevant.

Does your 3 year pattern consider this a down year? I'm guessing the good years were '08, '09, and '10 (even though it didn't turn out that great). Down years '11, '12, and '13

Does your 3 year pattern consider this a down year? I'm guessing the good years were '08, '09, and '10 (even though it didn't turn out that great). Down years '11, '12, and '13
Yep. The dividing line for Iowa is 7/8 wins. 7 wins means meh season with a bowl loss. Or .500 season with a crappy bowl win.

I keep telling people 2010 was actually in the top half of KF seasons. They just don't want to believe it because a couple of skill players and the DL returned. But lose Hampton, Wegher, Gettis, MacMillan, Tarp and Hunter and replace them with walk ons or true freshmen and you are going to have to battle. The team pulled it together enough to win 8 games, which normally is fine for Hawk fans.

Yep. The dividing line for Iowa is 7/8 wins. 7 wins means meh season with a bowl loss. Or .500 season with a crappy bowl win.

I keep telling people 2010 was actually in the top half of KF seasons. They just don't want to believe it because a couple of skill players and the DL returned. But lose Hampton, Wegher, Gettis, MacMillan, Tarp and Hunter and replace them with walk ons or true freshmen and you are going to have to battle. The team pulled it together enough to win 8 games, which normally is fine for Hawk fans.

Assuming they have approximately the same talent on the field every year, then yes. The '10 was a MINIMUM 10 win team...then the entire team was injured, and they still had try to lose games.

Interesting. Usually Jon goes for more of the optimism in these. Must be really down on the ol Hawks this year . . . .which can only mean one thing: Hawks surprise everyone and go 9-3. Mark it down.

Interesting. Usually Jon goes for more of the optimism in these. Must be really down on the ol Hawks this year . . . .which can only mean one thing: Hawks surprise everyone and go 9-3. Mark it down.

I might be mistaken, but I doubt there was a whole lot of big predictions being make for the 2008 season. Coming off the 2007 season without a bowl game, and the loss to W. Michigan, there wasn't a lot of optimism about the 2008 season.

Even CAAR was still probably formulating his 3 good, 3 bad hypothesis at that point.......

Sorry CAAR, had to take that shot. :eek:

I might be mistaken, but I doubt there was a whole lot of big predictions being make for the 2008 season. Coming off the 2007 season without a bowl game, and the loss to W. Michigan, there wasn't a lot of optimism about the 2008 season.

Even CAAR was still probably formulating his 3 good, 3 bad hypothesis at that point.......

Sorry CAAR, had to take that shot. :eek:

I picked em to go 8-4 in the regular season in 2008...got that one right. Then picked 10-2 in 2009...got that one right...

There have been a few misses along the way ;) 12-0, was wrong by five games...last year 8-4, missed it by four.

Here are my year by year picks

HN Iowa Football Prediction Accuracy « Hawkeye NationHawkeye Nation

Ahh what could have been in the 2008 season. Only time I have really been furious with KF was the Pitt game when he insisted on playing JC.

Lost all 4 games by a total of 12 points.

@Pitt- loss is on KF, Stanzi in the whole game and the Hawks win
NU- 5 turnovers and the Hawks lose at home. Head to head blow on Greene causes a fumble in the 4th
@MSU- Fullback goes the wrong way and Greene gets stuffed on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter
@ILL- Late rally ties it for the Hawks. D cant keep the Illini from getting a last second FG

Latest posts