My Cy-Hawk Game Preview & Prediction

Anything is possible in this game. I suspect ISU will try to stack the box again and try to make Stanley beat them with his arm. If that strategy fails for ISU and Iowa plays relatively clean, I see Iowa by a couple scores in this game. Hopefully with so many targets for Stanley to throw at, ISU has a lot to account for. Iowa 31 ISU 21.

Rob, ISU QB Purdy is from Gilbert, AZ not Texas. He had a lot of good offers but when he got his Bama offer he started getting lots of press. He took his official visit to ISU and when he committed he said he believed in what Matt Campbell is doing at ISU and how he fit in. I guess we'll see on Saturday.

I also don't agree with your prediction. Until someone beats us I'm going with the Hawks. A one point win is all you need.

I just don't see Iowa State being able to move the ball well enough to score 20 pts.

UNI got significant pressure constantly with 3 man fronts, and ISU needed to go to heavy formations to run the ball with any consistency.

Purdy also looks timid without a playmaker like Butler, and while I think Jones and Milton are good receivers, I don't think they can stretch the field like he could.

I haven't been this confident in a Cy-Hawk matchup in a while.

PREDICTION: Iowa State 20, IOWA 17

fasttimes.gif

Just giving you shit, Rob. I appreciate your analysis, but I think the good guys win by 2 scores. However I will not be placing any wagers on that. :)

Last edited:
Wow. A lot of very confident Iowa fans here that makes me nervous. Most of the opinion is coming from the ISU - UNI game. You’d think Iowa fans would know that anything can happen in one week. For instance Iowa hangs 55 on OSU the following week has 86 yards of total offense at UW. If I recall Iowa almost lost to UNI one year and went on the have a great season.

Iowa is dinged in the secondary and will be starting a walk on at safety. Iowa has played two home games against sub 75 level college football teams. Point being we don’t exactly know what we have an how are young guys are going to handle this environment.

Iowa’s run game was mostly bottled up by Rutgers until later in the game when the Rutgers D really wore down from being on the field the majority of the game.

This is a massive game for Iowa State’s football program. I’m expecting a dog fight but would lean Cyclones in this one.

People are doing mental and rhetorical gymnastics trying to present ISU as a good team, I think mainly b/c the media is pushing a man crush on Matt Campbell. He has done a great job at ISU, which is one of the historically worst FB programs in these United States. With that said, their OL is trash and they do not have near the playmakers as last year. Absent a Northwestern Houdini style QB performance by Purdy Iowa is going to win this game. If Iowa can get to him (likely), it should be a comfortable margin of victory of 10+.

Wow. A lot of very confident Iowa fans here that makes me nervous. Most of the opinion is coming from the ISU - UNI game. You’d think Iowa fans would know that anything can happen in one week. For instance Iowa hangs 55 on OSU the following week has 86 yards of total offense at UW. If I recall Iowa almost lost to UNI one year and went on the have a great season.

Iowa is dinged in the secondary and will be starting a walk on at safety. Iowa has played two home games against sub 75 level college football teams. Point being we don’t exactly know what we have an how are young guys are going to handle this environment.

Iowa’s run game was mostly bottled up by Rutgers until later in the game when the Rutgers D really wore down from being on the field the majority of the game.

This is a massive game for Iowa State’s football program. I’m expecting a dog fight but would lean Cyclones in this one.

In a Bill Murrary, Caddyshack voice, "he is a Cinderella story straight out of Des Moines.." Jack Koener

ISU always plays Iowa tight, at least in recent history. But, I have been floored by all the ISU hype this year. They are not as good as last year at this point in the season. Lost too many playmakers. I think Iowa is better than last year at this point in the season. I think two games under the belt, is better than a bye week after a very rusty start against an FCS opponent where, yes, ISU SHOULD have lost. Iowa is the better team top to bottom, we'll see how that plays out on Saturday.

For some reason I don't envision a super close game this year. I am 50/50 on the game pretty much, but I think it plays out one of these two ways.

1) ISU gets a big play score, or a TO that leads to a score early. I think if this happens, it will snowball on Iowa. The crowd and ISU players will be then way into it, ride the emotion and win something like 30-14

2) Iowa withstands the early emotion of the ISU players and crowd, and they get through the 1st quarter tied or close to ISU (like 7-7 or 3-7 or 0-3) something like that. Iowa then methodically gets all emotion out of the ISU players and crowd and has a workman like 23-7 victory of ISU as ISU never gets anything going offensively.

I just get this feeling that it is going to be a pretty convincing game one way or another this year.

Our D has the potential to be very special, one of our best ever, maybe the best ever.
I’m not nearly as bullish on this defense yet. Pass rush still concerns me. Nothing from a Golston to date and next to nothing from the interior guys. Secondary play didn’t look great against Miami (OH).

Long ways to go before I anoint this defense special. Heck I’d say they have a ways to go before I’d say they are better than last years defense. With that said I do think our offense will be improved this year.

I learned a long time ago to never, EVER bet on the Iowa-ISU game.
I have to remind myself every season - "SELF, DON'T DO IT"
I, along with thousands of others got burned so badly when Shaggy kicked (5) FG's to give ISU the W in a game that to this very day still defies all logic. They literally never put it in the endzone...
Not once...
And we lost...
Never again.

GO HAWKS!

I just don't see Iowa State being able to move the ball well enough to score 20 pts.

UNI got significant pressure constantly with 3 man fronts, and ISU needed to go to heavy formations to run the ball with any consistency.

Purdy also looks timid without a playmaker like Butler, and while I think Jones and Milton are good receivers, I don't think they can stretch the field like he could.

I haven't been this confident in a Cy-Hawk matchup in a while.
Lets look at matchups:
QB advantage Iowa. Stanley 3 year starter, Purdy still not there
Running game advantage Iowa. Look for Goodson to play more and maybe break a big one.. Clowns have not come remotely close to replacing Montogomery.
Wide Receivers advantage Iowa, Smith Marsette, Smith much improved (I was skeptical) Oliver will pose problems for ISU. Butler not coming out of the tunnel this year
Defense, Advantage Iowa. Look for AJE to be huge game changing force.
Only thing Clowns have going is home field. Hawks will send these drunken hicks to the exits early.
Hawks 30-Moo U 9

ISU is due for a win in this series.

Then again, you could have said that for over a decade in the eighties and nineties.

Then again ISU was coached by a series of morons until Danny Mac arrived.

Iowa must turn the clones over two or three times to win this. I agree with posters saying that you can throw UNI out the window, just like Iowa UNI in 2009. I once saw Michigan State crap the bed for an entire preseason, come into Iowa City as eighteen point underdogs, and give #1 ranked Iowa all they could handle.

Another key to an Iowa win could be turning the Cyclone players emotion against them. I could see a couple overly amped Clones getting a foolish penalty or targeting penalty. Ferentz teams are usually pretty good at playing through this, getting the game settled down, and grinding out a win.