My Cy-Hawk Game Preview & Prediction

Stanley has beaten ISU twice. Once in Lames. Not saying he is the greatest gamer I have ever seen at QB, but I would not say he folds in big games. He beat Ohio State convincingly. Walked into Lincoln and killed Nebbie. He faced down and won against a great Miss State defense.

Has he laid eggs? Sure. Is he as consistent as we like? No. But, I like our chances of Nate having a strong game on Saturday, Would rather have our QB than theirs for sure.

This game ain't on Stanley. Stanley has folded in the past when teams run a 3-4 at him and the o-line stands around with no clue what the hell they are supposed to do. Stanley has some accuracy issues, but pretty much every game I can think of where he looks like ass, 95% of the problem is that the o-line looks like 5 guys playing "toro" with some bulls and Stanley has someone in his face a fraction of a second after the ball gets in his hands. That turd we had at Wisconsin after the OSU beat down is a prime example. They ran that 3-4 and Jim Leonhard absolutely skullfvcked our offensive line. Purdue has done the same for 2 years straight.

I'm sick of people saying Stanley is a NFL QB because he ain't, but I'm equally sick of people saying Stanley folds because he doesn't. He is a damned good, albeit not elite college QB. If our o-line doesn't shit the bed and if we don't play sloppy, we will completely and totally skullfvck Iowa State.

Iowa's Gameday appearances per wikipedia:
That's 1- 6 all time through 7 appearances. Saturday will be the 8th. Kinnick has hosted twice, so it will be Iowa's 6th time playing in the game away from Iowa City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_GameDay_(football_TV_program)

Wow, this is by far the shittiest opponent we will have ever faced in a Gameday game.

I guess I just mean early in the games. I know Iowa intentionally wears out teams and bends them to their will...and that takes time, but...

1st quarter runs vs Rutgers:
Sargent for 4 yards
Sargent for 2 yards
Toren for 1 yard
Sargent for 2 yards
Toren for 3 yards
Sargent for 0 yards
Sargent for -4 yards

7 rushes for 8 yards....

After that weak first quarter it opened up more. However Rutgers defense isn't ISU.
And this was kinda the point I didn't make clearly in my other quote of your post (to others).

If Iowa has a similar output running the ball (and assuming Stanley isn't converting passes) against a better team, we are in trouble. We don't really know if our defense is legit yet, so to expect them to pitch shut outs while the offense tries to find it's way is why Iowa rarely gets over the hump in the big10.

I just don't see Iowa State being able to move the ball well enough to score 20 pts.

UNI got significant pressure constantly with 3 man fronts, and ISU needed to go to heavy formations to run the ball with any consistency.

Purdy also looks timid without a playmaker like Butler, and while I think Jones and Milton are good receivers, I don't think they can stretch the field like he could.

I haven't been this confident in a Cy-Hawk matchup in a while.
Their offense is designed to do what Iowa’s defensive philosophy allows: short passing game and medium crossing routes. ISU could punish teams last year that “cheat” — throwing deep and 50/50 end zone balls to Butler.

they didn’t against UNI. That could be a problem against Purdy had the patience to do that against UNI. I think State moves the ball between the 20s and has trouble pushing it in.

Can they find someone to exploit Iowa’s inexperienced DBs or do those DBs break down? If they do, then Iowa State has s good chance.

It really is an intriguing match up. Iowa State's defense can play and they have talent in the secondary...mostly at safety...or proven talent at safety anyway. I expect Iowa to attack the corners pretty regularly in the passing game. Can we run the football better than we did last year? That's the question...and if we can...we should win by two scores. This is one of those games where it all depends on Stanley...does he make good decisions and make the big throws. If so...28 - 13 Iowa.

We are going to find out if our DL is for real in the middle...I think Iowa State thinks they can exploit that...they can't. I expect Purdy to run the ball alot on Saturday...designed drop back and he takes off type of stuff. We will need a spy for sure to keep him from making plays with his legs. The thing that concerns me is can we keep our lanes on pass plays and not give him gaps to escape...that's discipline...and we have new guys in the middle.

We dominated their OL last year. Dominated. They are all back...hard to think that is any advantage with what we return on the DL...we may be better there too.

Hahaha this is really going to rile up the clown fans:

"Unlike his predecessors who treated this game like the Super Bowl, Campbell has tried keeping it in perspective. He’s approached it as such."

Iowa wins with a 90 yard punt! They got us pinned at the 10 yard line with Hawks up by 1 with 30 seconds left. Sleepy bangs one out at the 1 yard line, the ISU 1 yard line. They go nowhere and Hawks win. In Heaven there is no beer......

Sleep is MVP.

The play of Linderbaum and Schott will be huge in this one.

Linderbaum potentially is a future All-American, but, he's not there yet. You have to love Schott's attitude and enthusiasm, but, he completely whiffed at times in both pass-pro and the run game the first two games. He has a lot to learn. The classic Ferentz lunch-pail-walk-on-offensive-line story.

The question is, can those two not only handle ISU's defensive linemen - which are stout - but, can they also handle the complex 3-4 blitzes and stunts? If so, I think we come out on top. If they struggle and the offense can't get anything going, ISU could score just enough points to pull it out.

Don't put any stock in how the offense looked against UNI. Campbell is lying in the weeds in this one, and, regardless of what he says, he wants the win bad.

can they also handle the complex 3-4 blitzes and stunts?
This is the whole game. If our line doesn't whiff on those and Nate has time and Brian gets that counter and screen game going to punish ISMoo for being too aggressive against what has been a very vanilla offense bince the end of the O'Keefe tenure, this offense will score 35+ points and we will win going away.

34-10 Iowa

If they can avoid being down 10-0,14-0 at the end of the 1st quarter they can control tempo(pace) and just wear down ISU.

Don't be surprised if ISU gets the first points of the game it is about surviving that and not letting it snowball.

I still have doubts about Iowa's offense. Goodson gives us the big play threat from the ground, but does anyone really see him being in the game before the 2nd half?

Last week against Rutgers, there was a long stretch where Iowa couldn't get out of their endzone and had Rutgers been even close to competent in the QB play, the game could have been a lot different. Their QB was overthrowing his WR by 15 yards. I can't really see a QB having that bad of a day again, especially in this game

Stanley seems to fold under pressure, and this game is going to be pressure packed. If Iowa doesn't get TO, or have sustained drives to settle him down, it could shut down the offense the entire game

“Stanley folds under pressure” = Myth.

Stanley succeeds when Brian puts him in good situations. If Brian calls a good game Iowa will overpower the clowns. This team also looks a lot better than I predicted. I think Iowa wins 24-10.

"Iowa is making its sixth appearance on College GameDay. Iowa is 1-6 on GameDay"

Ok, one of those stats has to be wrong. Either this is Iowa's eighth appearance on GameDay, or else Iowa is 1-4 on GameDay.
The OSU loss counts as two.

I can't see a way for Iowa to lose this game, however, Iowa often does find a way on big days!

Hoping for a script flip.

Latest posts