Ronnie Laws--Friends and Strangers
Chicago--Live at Carnegie Hall
Fleetwood Mac--Rumours
Neil Young--Harvest
Stones--Sticky Fingers

1st runner up--Doobies--Captain and Me
2nd runner up--BTO--Not Fragile
3rd runner up--Boston--Boston
Whoa -- I haven't seen that Ronnie Laws album referenced by anybody for years. I used to crank that thing up on my Advent speakers and it sounded AWESOME. Haven't listened to it in years, but now I'm gonna have to get that out and spin it tonight!
Laughed out loud when I saw BTO's 'Not Fragile' on your list -- that cassette played endlessly on a tape-loop while I was on a 33 hour overnight bus ride once, exactly 50 years ago. Long story. I suspect every note is still etched somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my brain!

My top ten island albums:

Little Feat--Waiting for Columbus
Gerry Rafferty--City to City
AC/DC--Back in Black
Aerosmith--Toys
Little River Band--Rearranged
Fleetwood Mac--Rumours
Neil Young--Harvest
Stones--Sticky Fingers

I had that Little Feat Album. Loved fat man in the Bath Tub and Willin.

Sometimes I was fond of finding something that wasnt on the radio but was awesome. Had a good friend who fed me music.

I said I liked the Album but it was really just a few songs.

From the obscure. Tonio K. A few of my buddies and I memorized the lyrics and sang acapella. ...there's this five foot 9 inch 19 year old blondish irish catholic girl in boston..

Whoa -- I haven't seen that Ronnie Laws album referenced by anybody for years. I used to crank that thing up on my Advent speakers and it sounded AWESOME. Haven't listened to it in years, but now I'm gonna have to get that out and spin it tonight!
Laughed out loud when I saw BTO's 'Not Fragile' on your list -- that cassette played endlessly on a tape-loop while I was on a 33 hour overnight bus ride once, exactly 50 years ago. Long story. I suspect every note is still etched somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my brain!
RL and I go way back.

This is my favorite song by him. I tossed in an extended version as well. Enjoy.

One of my first albums.

My wife, sister, her BFF and I are going to see BTO at the Surf in Clear Lake, IA on Wednesday evening.

A bucket list concert for sure.

Last edited:
I had that Little Feat Album. Loved fat man in the Bath Tub and Willin.
Can't forget:

Rocket in my Pocket
Dixie Chicken
Oh Atlanta

Lowell was the man. Too bad he had an MI due to excessive heroin usage.

Bill Payne was an absolute beast on the ivories.

Last edited:
My top ten island albums:

Little Feat--Waiting for Columbus
Gerry Rafferty--City to City
AC/DC--Back in Black
Aerosmith--Toys
Little River Band--Rearranged
Fleetwood Mac--Rumours
Neil Young--Harvest
Stones--Sticky Fingers

Little Feat is kind of amazing to watch. Coordinating such a diverse amount of instruments and players is one thing in the studio, but they somehow keep everything tight live too. Pretty impressive.

I had a hard time keeping Neil Young off my list. Harvest definitely would be in my top 20 (maybe even Harvest Moon...)

One of my first albums.

My wife, sister, her BFF and I are going to see BTO at the Surf in Clear Lake, IA on Wednesday evening.

A bucket list concert for sure.
I owned it as well, and played the hell out of it, along with Overdrive II. Those hard chords are addictive and old-school. Also saw them in concert.

For me, it got to the point that I felt a little burned out. Can't listen to Business anymore, but still enjoy some of the other tracks such as Let it Ride and Roll On.

Last edited:

A mark of a good tune is one that you wish would keep going. Every time I get to the end of Tush, I'm bummed that it's over.

My Top 10 albums as of today. Changes weekly depending on my mood.
1. Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstacy
2. Joni Mitchell: Court & Spark
3. Average White Band: (Side 1 of first album, untitled; plus Side 1 of 'Cut the Cake')
4. Dire Straits: (first album, untitled)
5. Phoebe Snow; (first album, untitled)
6. Peter Frampton: Frampton Comes Alive!
7. Eagles: Either 'Desperado' or 'On the Border'
8. Jethro Tull: Aqualung
9. Bob James/Earl Klugh: One on One
10. The Pretenders: Learning to Crawl

One of the things I noticed as compiling this is how many times I feel a band's first album is their best. Could add Aerosmith's first album to that list too. Cheated a little on AWB, but dang, their early stuff still gets my groove goin'! Listened to Aqualung recently for the first time in probably 20 years -- that sucker rocketed up my list...not a weak cut in the bunch and holds up amazingly well musically. That Pretenders album kicks ASS!

Latest posts