Music Thread

I gotta go Whole Lotta Rosie. Love the guitar dual between Angus and Malcolm.
I've always thought AC/DC were the Eagles of hard rock. Catchy but overall pretty boring mass market music. They are both kind of a "classic" Nickelback in terms of a more recent band. Nothing really offensive, but uninteresting.

I've always thought AC/DC were the Eagles of hard rock. Catchy but overall pretty boring mass market music. They are both kind of a "classic" Nickelback in terms of a more recent band. Nothing really offensive, but uninteresting.
The Eagles are my all time favorite whipping boy and I've mentioned it in the long history of this thread. Massively overrated in my opinion. AC/DC can be considered a one trick pony but they've gotten a lot of mileage out of that one trick.

The Eagles are my all time favorite whipping boy and I've mentioned it in the long history of this thread. Massively overrated in my opinion. AC/DC can be considered a one trick pony but they've gotten a lot of mileage out of that one trick.
Not sure I understand your animosity there.

Yes, the Eagles are comprised of whiny and childish ego-maniacs., but that could be applied to a lot of successful groups. It's hard to argue their body of work over the years, though. Very few bands would stack up in terms of long-term success.

View attachment 10909

Definitely one of my five "must have on an island" albums.
Too bad he drank himself to death.

If you've never listened to this, or if its been awhile, give it a listen.
Not sure if you are familiar with it, but there is TV network available on DirecTV and possibly other providers that focuses on music called AXS.

They have a program titled, "Vinyl Obsession," in which two music celebrities are brought to a well-known vinyl dealer and are tasked with picking out their top five albums ever (akin to the "on an island" idea). I'm not sure if the show is still active, but I catch reruns occasionally.

I'd have a difficult time narrowing it down to five, but I could probably put together ten.

Not sure I understand your animosity there.

Yes, the Eagles are comprised of whiny and childish ego-maniacs., but that could be applied to a lot of successful groups. It's hard to argue their body of work over the years, though. Very few bands would stack up in terms of long-term success.
They always acted above the fray. Do as I say not as I do. Rules were for thee but not for me. They came off sometimes as posers, sometimes as sanctimonious. Their songs spit at decadence and the moral and spiritual bankruptcy of the time but they were as decadent and morally bankrupt as anyone. Their best move was getting rid of Randy Meisner (Take It To the Limit) and emphasizing the guitar interplay of Don Fedler and Joe Walsh and (ahh) Joe's humor. Of course Felder became too much for the smug as hell Glenn Frey to stomach and it destroyed the best incarnation of the band at their peak. Humor was too much for Frey and Don Henley to deal with when there were social and political causes to rant about.

They always acted above the fray. Do as I say not as I do. Rules were for thee but not for me. They came off sometimes as posers, sometimes as sanctimonious. Their songs spit at decadence and the moral and spiritual bankruptcy of the time but they were as decadent and morally bankrupt as anyone. Their best move was getting rid of Randy Meisner (Take It To the Limit) and emphasizing the guitar interplay of Don Fedler and Joe Walsh and (ahh) Joe's humor. Of course Felder became too much for the smug as hell Glenn Frey to stomach and it destroyed the best incarnation of the band at their peak. Humor was too much for Frey and Don Henley to deal with when there were social and political causes to rant about.
Definitely a cauldron of egos there. I don't recall all of the specifics. Were they openly critical of other bands' behavior? Because, they certainly weren't alone in that respect.

As for Frey and Felder, they both own the smugness and frankly childish behavior.

Felder used to tape-measure his hotel rooms to make sure his square footage was as large as Frey's, and, in an effort to out due the other, both would bring in so many guitars that they had to use extra trucks. In the end, it resulted in a physical altercation and Felder was asked to leave. smh

Not sure if you are familiar with it, but there is TV network available on DirecTV and possibly other providers that focuses on music called AXS.

They have a program titled, "Vinyl Obsession," in which two music celebrities are brought to a well-known vinyl dealer and are tasked with picking out their top five albums ever (akin to the "on an island" idea). I'm not sure if the show is still active, but I catch reruns occasionally.

I'd have a difficult time narrowing it down to five, but I could probably put together ten.
I decided to put together my 10 just to see how it shook out. Not easy. My criteria was what I'd want with me on a deserted island (favoring a little variety, not just "favorite" albums), and they had to be available on vinyl.

1. Led Zeppelin, "Remasters" 1990
2. Black Sabbath, "Paranoid" 1970
3. Elton John, "Diamonds" 2017
4. ELO, "All Over the World" 1987
5. Fleetwood Mac, "Rumours" 1977
6. Lynyrd Skynyrd,, "Pronounced" 1973
7. Bee Gees, "Greatest" 1979
8. Supertramp, "Breakfast in America" 1979
9. Van Morrison, "Moondance" (Deluxe version) 2023
10. Chris Stapleton, "Traveller" 2015

Can't believe I couldn't squeeze in Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Doors or Cream...

I cheated a bit with some compilation albums, but, really, how do you choose just one Zeppelin album?

Great number. One of the most fun I ever had playing was this song. We talked about playing it, and tried to work it into our generally Dave Edmunds kind of style but it just didn't sound right. Me and the little brother were home for spring break and ran into a bunch of band and orchestra kids from my little bro's class at a bar in Ottumwa (a line that begins a lot of funny stories). Mikey drummed as well as started in football.

So Mikey is talking to another drummer from HS band and our conversation worked around the Jambalaya and couple of the songs from the past but with a good dance beat. So, I said they wouldn't sound right in just electronic instruments. The other kid then said the name of yet another old HS band/orchestra kid. This kid played standup bass in orchestra in Mike's class. We asked the second kid if he could do it. He said he'll be ready by sound check on Thursday night. Then he said, I can even get a fiddler. Another kid from the Orchestra. This tiny little 19-year-old met us the next night. He said he could fiddle, and that Jambalaya would be easy. But he would only do it if he got to hang out with us for the rest of the nights he played. No prob there. So, we all met early Thursday and ran through Jambalaya and some waltzes, and the new guys were great during their set.

Great weekend. The little withdrawn violinist got drunk fast and kept saying: What are you guys; and, I've never even seen that before. Of course: "do you think she'd like me?"

A great post to remind us of the long dead greats. EDIT The long dead greats were Elvis and Harry, not our one step above a garage band crew from the wayback machine.

Last edited:

Latest posts