Music Thread

Gene Vincent

Jerry Lee

"Shake it one time for Jerry Lee"
"You better believe what I'm talking about now, Child, Yeah"

Jerry lee used to come to the Val Air Ballroom in WDM every spring. It was the social event of the season. Everybody from every side of town went. Every WildCat in the area was there.....

One time in 1964 he was playing in Webster City. We went, of course. By the time we arrived, we were lit. We crowded up to the front of the stage and eventually climbed up on the stage and sat next to Jerry Lee's piano. He laughed at us. It was cool.....

And Little Richard .....Damn

:cool:

Yeah, tragically, it looks like Rush is done. Originally, I thought they would be open to performing some scattered shows without actually touring, but when Peart stated he was done with drumming forever, that kind of scuttled that idea.

Peart is definitely an interesting and complicated character. He has been heavily influenced by numerous philosophers and artists, especially Ayn Rand. I'm actually surprised he stuck with the rock scene as long as he did.

I didn't realize Rory was in Dubuque, and that was right around the time I became aware of him. Bummer.

My first ever concert was at the Five Flags Center - Van Halen, 1979. I recall a lot of boob flashing and a lot of pot being passed around. On the ride home, we were all yelling at each other in the car because no one could hear.
RIP. Now Rush is officially done.

I was driving when I heard the news and was so stunned I had to pull into a parking lot.

I was driving when I heard the news and was so stunned I had to pull into a parking lot.
Yeah, I was shocked too.

I wasn't aware that he even had brain cancer, but, in retrospect, that probably explains why he had the cryptic "I'm done with drumming forever" (to paraphrase) comment.

Just another tragic loss in a long line of musical artists from an amazing period.

Yeah, I was shocked too.

I wasn't aware that he even had brain cancer, but, in retrospect, that probably explains why he had the cryptic "I'm done with drumming forever" (to paraphrase) comment.

Just another tragic loss in a long line of musical artists from an amazing period.
Danny Carey's the only one out of millions of drummers to ever come close. Their stuff they've done together is absolute magic and worth checking out.

I did not deal with this very well at work today. I work at a non-profit and Friday afternoons are mostly about who leaves early. So no one saw the 'tough guy' crying in his cubicle.

F!!!!!!!!

Playing Moving Pictures....then I'll hit 2112 and Signals.

RIP Mr. Peart.

Neil has now joined the "67 club" with Tom Petty, Ronnie James Dio, and probably a few others.

Like Peart, Dio succumbed to cancer, stomach cancer in his case.

Edit. Glenn Frey died at 67 also. There has to be more.

Last edited:
Mount Rushmore of classic rock drummers (no particular order)

John Bonham
Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
Neil Peart

All have now ascended to that drum stool in the sky
I would add Bill Ward to that list (though I believe he's still alive). He never really received the accolades that he should have.

It comes down to Bonham and Peart for me. No one else is in the discussion really. It's hard to compare them because they were such different drummers. Bonham combined thunder with his feet with incredible jazz-inspired nuances with his hands, whereas Peart had an uncanny ability to precisely control a huge variety of percussion sounds while keeping it tight and consistent at the same time.

Moon was a unique animal. His style would be next to impossible to replicate. Somehow he kept good time while also playing like his hair was on fire. He also was truly ambidextrous and could flip his kit from side to side and not lose anything at all. I'm not sure any other drummer in history could do that. Townshend - very much a control freak - often would get frustrated with his style and technique, then admit that it always seemed to work in the end.

Last edited:
I would add Bill Ward to that list (though I believe he's still alive). He never really received the accolades that he should have.

It comes down to Bonham and Peart for me. No one else is in the discussion really. It's hard to compare them because they were such different drummers. Bonham combined thunder with his feet with incredible jazz-inspired nuances with his hands, whereas Peart had an uncanny ability to precisely control a huge variety of percussion sounds while keeping it tight and consistent at the same time.

Moon was a unique animal. His style would be next to impossible to replicate. Somehow he kept good time while also playing like his hair was on fire. He also was truly ambidextrous and could flip his kit from side to side and not lose anything at all. I'm not sure any other drummer in history could do that. Townshend - very much a control freak - often would get frustrated with his style and technique, then admit that it always seemed to work in the end.

Loved Keith Moon and the Who

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...est-pranks-13041/the-exploding-drummer-30579/

:cool:

Weird mix of personalities but awesome group that somehow made it work.

What's not to like? Townshend is one of the all-time writers and tireless composers, combined with one of the best drummers in history and probably the best bassist in rock and roll history as well. They had an amazing run.

As much as I liked them, the whole "Tommy" thing for me was over-the-top and frankly a little strange, but the remaining body of work is solid.

Latest posts