Music Thread

Rory Gallagher

Going to My Hometown

Toredown

Messin' With The Kid
Oh, man. I'd give this 100 likes if I could.

I posted a bunch of Rory earlier in the thread. One of the most underappreciated guitar players ever. Great stuff. He never had aspirations of being a superstar, so that hurt his exposure (along with his fear of flying). His bassist, John McAvoy, also extremely underrated.

Last edited:
Speaking of great Irish bands:

Thin Lizzy

Thin Lizzy, along with UFO, was a monumental influence on Def Leppard. Go back to Lep's first album "On Through The Night", when Steve Clark and Pete Willis were in charge as dueling guitarists, and you were hear the same propulsive rhythms and scalding leads that Thin Lizzy pioneered.

Thin Lizzy, along with UFO, was a monumental influence on Def Leppard. Go back to Lep's first album "On Through The Night", when Steve Clark and Pete Willis were in charge as dueling guitarists, and you were hear the same propulsive rhythms and scalding leads that Thin Lizzy pioneered.
The list is a long one. Thin Lizzy is referred to as an "influence" by numerous bands from the 70's to the 90's. To this day, when asked which bands I think best exemplify raw rock and roll sound, the short list response includes Lizzy.

Like a lot of great bands, their best stuff, like "Cowboy Song," never really hit the airwaves. You have to take the time to listen to several of their albums to really gain an appreciation.

The list is a long one. Thin Lizzy is referred to as an "influence" by numerous bands from the 70's to the 90's. To this day, when asked which bands I think best exemplify raw rock and roll sound, the short list response includes Lizzy.

Like a lot of great bands, their best stuff, like "Cowboy Song," never really hit the airwaves. You have to take the time to listen to several of their albums to really gain an appreciation.
They were never appreciated in their time, at least in America, which is sad. Fornutaely, several of their songs have found their way into classic rock rotation. When you hear a band like Leppard, or the Smithereens, Bad Religion, Lenny Kravitz, Urge Overkill, Foo Fighters, Green Day and of course many others you can hear that classic Thin Lizzy propulsiveness

Oh, man. I'd give this 100 likes if I could.

I posted a bunch of Rory earlier in the thread. One of the most underappreciated guitar players ever. Great stuff. He never had aspirations of being a superstar, so that hurt his exposure (along with his fear of flying). His bassist, John McAvoy, also extremely underrated.

I remember someone had, but didn't dare go back and try to find it.

Last edited:
I've concluded it's all a plot to get large crowds of guys to mindlessly sing chick songs.

One of the few occasions where they use a backing track - Usually they just get the drunken guys to sing the refrains.

You - Endless Story

Just repeat after small pigeon and no one will get hurt.

Day Dreaming

European Tour 2019

Last edited:
Rory opened for Rush
With this monster thread? Um, no, I wouldn't expect you to. :)

I was just happy to see someone else appreciate him.
Rory opened for Rush at Dubuque's Five Flags my high school senior year, which would have been 1982-83. It was on of those shows I have spent the rest of my life regretting having not seen.

In fact I've never seen Rush in concert, and probably never will now.

Neil Peart was, to put it mildly, an unusual rock star. You know what he would do if he had down time the day of a show? He would visit local art galleries. He would pack his bicycle on the tour bus and go on four hour rides into the countryside. If it was winter he might go cross country skiing on an old railroad trail.

He was known for keeping to himself on the road, sometimes even away from Alex and Geddy, and reading everything in sight. Alex and Geddy loved to meet the fans. Neil, a shy person by nature, avoided them, had no use for typical fan fawning and well meaning adulation. His line from Limelight, "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend", pretty much sums up his view of rock stardom.

He could express himself in written form, however. From his introspective lyrics to his novels, his work is Rich in detail and signposts of time and place. His first Ghost Rider novel, written just after he had lost his daughter and first wife and separate incidents ten months apart (and put the band on hiatus for five years) is riveting. Forget being a music fan, the first forty pages of that novel, dealing with grief and loss few could ever imagine, should be required reading for any married couple.

Rory opened for Rush

Rory opened for Rush at Dubuque's Five Flags my high school senior year, which would have been 1982-83. It was on of those shows I have spent the rest of my life regretting having not seen.

In fact I've never seen Rush in concert, and probably never will now.

Neil Peart was, to put it mildly, an unusual rock star. You know what he would do if he had down time the day of a show? He would visit local art galleries. He would pack his bicycle on the tour bus and go on four hour rides into the countryside. If it was winter he might go cross country skiing on an old railroad trail.

He was known for keeping to himself on the road, sometimes even away from Alex and Geddy, and reading everything in sight. Alex and Geddy loved to meet the fans. Neil, a shy person by nature, avoided them, had no use for typical fan fawning and well meaning adulation. His line from Limelight, "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend", pretty much sums up his view of rock stardom.

He could express himself in written form, however. From his introspective lyrics to his novels, his work is Rich in detail and signposts of time and place. His first Ghost Rider novel, written just after he had lost his daughter and first wife and separate incidents ten months apart (and put the band on hiatus for five years) is riveting. Forget being a music fan, the first forty pages of that novel, dealing with grief and loss few could ever imagine, should be required reading for any married couple.
Yeah, tragically, it looks like Rush is done. Originally, I thought they would be open to performing some scattered shows without actually touring, but when Peart stated he was done with drumming forever, that kind of scuttled that idea.

Peart is definitely an interesting and complicated character. He has been heavily influenced by numerous philosophers and artists, especially Ayn Rand. I'm actually surprised he stuck with the rock scene as long as he did.

I didn't realize Rory was in Dubuque, and that was right around the time I became aware of him. Bummer.

My first ever concert was at the Five Flags Center - Van Halen, 1979. I recall a lot of boob flashing and a lot of pot being passed around. On the ride home, we were all yelling at each other in the car because no one could hear.

Yeah, tragically, it looks like Rush is done. Originally, I thought they would be open to performing some scattered shows without actually touring, but when Peart stated he was done with drumming forever, that kind of scuttled that idea.

Peart is definitely an interesting and complicated character. He has been heavily influenced by numerous philosophers and artists, especially Ayn Rand. I'm actually surprised he stuck with the rock scene as long as he did.

I didn't realize Rory was in Dubuque, and that was right around the time I became aware of him. Bummer.

My first ever concert was at the Five Flags Center - Van Halen, 1979. I recall a lot of boob flashing and a lot of pot being passed around. On the ride home, we were all yelling at each other in the car because no one could hear.
That would have been one of Five Flags first concerts, along with UFO and AC/DC. I would have been just going into high school. I knew people whom did go to that concert. When I was twelve or thirteen and first heard a couple Van Halen songs on the radio, I would have sworn it was Boston. It wasn't until the summer of 1980, when Women and Children First came out, that i truly discovered Van Halen. "The Cradle Will Rock" absolutely crushed it on the radio.

It was also during that summer that I made another discovery. I stumbled across my first "Hit Parader" magazine. I was immediately hooked. For the next five or six years I would go down to the magazine rack once a month and immediately snap up the newest issue. Or be thoroughly bummed if the new issue wasn't out yet. I still had stacks of those magazines in my bedroom when I graduated from college and got ready to move into an apartment. My younger brother apparently rooted out the other magazines.:):)

It sounds like Alex Lifeson has some arthritic issues as well, which sort of makes it difficult to play guitar. As for Ayn Rand, she probably deserved royalty points for 2112, which I believe to this day is their best album.

Other musicians who had personalities similar to Peart's include Michael Schenker and Soundgarden's Ben Shepherd, Michael Stipe of REM, and possibly Ray Davies.

Last edited: