Music Thread

Husker Du - Eight Miles High. I think I heard this first on KUNI and was blown away.

I couldn't find it anywhere in IC, didn't think to ask the record clerk to special order it.

Lucky for me one roommate from Chicago picked it up for me on a trip home.

Still in the collection
Never really got into the garage/punk fusion bands like Husker Du, The Replacements, etc., but I do remember in a weird way when listening to the soundtrack from "Valley Girl" a few years after it was released, one song kind of stuck with me.

Thinking the band sounded a lot like a tamer Husker Du, it ended up being The Plimsouls, a band I knew nothing about, but appeared to be an early version of that genre.

Never really got into the garage/punk fusion bands like Husker Du, The Replacements, etc., but I do remember in a weird way when listening to the soundtrack from "Valley Girl" a few years after it was released, one song kind of stuck with me.

Thinking the band sounded a lot like a tamer Husker Du, it ended up being The Plimsouls, a band I knew nothing about, but appeared to be an early version of that genre.

What set Husker Du apart from their peers at the end of the day was the emotional depth of their lyrics. They described real struggle, real turmoil, the everyday trials and tribulations of everyday relationships. Zen Arcade was the perfect title for what was probably their best album. Talk about a live minefield, try living in the headspace of someone who was gay in the 1980's. And Bob Mould and Grant Hart gave no quarter in any direction they went, musically or lyrically. Watching Husker Du court danger and break all the rules of the conservative 1980's added to the enjoyment of the music.

The Plimsouls remind me of an earlier Bay area band the Flaming Groovies. There really isn't a hard line between power pop, British pub rock, and what later became new wave. Unfortunately, being sorted to the wrong side of the "in" vs. "out" line, usually meant being dismissed by critics and shunned by the "in" crowd. I think some of that happened to the Plimsouls (and a lot of other bands), forever consigned to small gigs and no radio play. The Plimsouls fared a little better getting a bit of notoriety with the "Valley Girls" movie. Later they toughened up their sound, but they already were all ready pigeonholed as a power pop band.

The Plimsouls remind me of an earlier Bay area band the Flaming Groovies. There really isn't a hard line between power pop, British pub rock, and what later became new wave. Unfortunately, being sorted to the wrong side of the "in" vs. "out" line, usually meant being dismissed by critics and shunned by the "in" crowd. I think some of that happened to the Plimsouls (and a lot of other bands), forever consigned to small gigs and no radio play. The Plimsouls fared a little better getting a bit of notoriety with the "Valley Girls" movie. Later they toughened up their sound, but they already were all ready pigeonholed as a power pop band.
That Plimsouls song is vintage Paul Westerberg/Replacements. Much more than Husker Du. Maybe a touch of Soul Asylum.

I would love to see Sturgill live. If he plays close by, I will attend. Maybe catch up with you and Fry at the time. That would be cool.....

:cool:
Sturgill, with Tyler Childers as opener, will be in Madison on April 10 and it appears Santa is a Simpson fan as well. :) In addition to his latest Kentucky Fried Floyd I hope he does his Waffle House song as well!

Last edited:
I fucked up and missed a few opportunities to see em in IC, then they broke up.

I should go see Mould on his latest tour. Pretty certain there won't be a Botany mid-term I need to cram for. :rolleyes:
Mould's guitar work onstage would create an overwhelming seismic Sonic force, lik a wave that kept breaking...and breaking, or a clap of thunder that rolled endlessly on. The effect was so overwhelming and mesmerizing that it was difficult to discern where one song ended and the next one began!

You weren't there to sing along with the chouses. They weren't the band for that. You were there to get your mind blown.

After seeing Valley Girl, The Plimsouls was one of the groups that caught my ear enough to buy the album with the song A Million Miles Away. But have since lost the copy.

Probably need to add that to the list of vinyl to pluck from the used bin.

They had a Byrdsy sound to them; playing a Rickenbacker when it wasn't so much in style.

Last edited:
no memories come to mind with this one. But the melody comes to mind a lot. Not a song I remember as being prominent. Very subtle very nice. He wrote this about his former wife who died of overdose in '76. It was a single 10 years later.

Interesting thing about Bolan.

He never learned to drive because he thought it was too dangerous.... Then, he was killed in a car accident as a passenger.

Latest posts