Music Thread

Yes very fast and technical. Problem is he's not much of a song writer and doesn't know much about composition. It's a common problem with many shredders.

Jeff Beck almost the paragon of that. The guy can't write to save his life.

He sure makes OTHER songwriters look damn good, though!

And actually, Brian Jones was pretty much the same way. The guy play damn near any instrument you could put in front of him. Writing, though, was nowhere his strong suit.

Yes very fast and technical. Problem is he's not much of a song writer and doesn't know much about composition. It's a common problem with many shredders.
Yeah, there are a lot of these kinds of guys out there - super fast fingers, can hit all the chords and notes, etc., but are missing that certain "something" that makes them truly great. Steve Vai is a good example.

I was once watching a youtuber who analyzes guitar work, and he made the point while analyzing Stevie Ray Vaughan that many guitarists can play fast and many can play with feel, but very few can do both at the same time.

Probably the best "technical" guitarist I've ever seen is Eric Johnson. Amazing, but personally I wouldn't go out of my way to see him or even listen to him.

Last edited:
Jeff Beck almost the paragon of that. The guy can't write to save his life.

He sure makes OTHER songwriters look damn good, though!

And actually, Brian Jones was pretty much the same way. The guy play damn near any instrument you could put in front of him. Writing, though, was nowhere his strong suit.

Rick music was always accompanied with a strong anti intellectual culture. Of course there are exceptions

Yup. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his arrogance, too.

Jake E. Lee stated as such.

I was never a big fan of YM but it's fun watching how fast the fingers fly. That's about it.

When one considers that there's YouTube vids of tween kids that can shred, you gotta bring something else to the party.

I edited out the Buckethead line as it was confusing - I was g0ing to ask who that is, not realizing that his ID was/is now known. :D

Last edited:
Yup. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his arrogance, too.

Jake E. Lee stated as such.

I was never a big fan of YM but it's fun watching how fast the fingers fly. That's about it.

When one considers that there's YouTube vids of tween kids that can shred, you gotta bring something else to the party.

I edited out the Buckethead line as it was confusing - I was g0ing to ask who that is, not realizing that his ID was/is now known. :D
I thought I had read where Yngwie has mellowed a bit over the years and regrets his stuffy arrogant younger days.

People who can master difficult guitar techniques are always going to have some degree of arrogance, especially when compared to other guitarists. Malmsteen has often been compared to Uli Roth, who helped make some of the best Scorpions albums few have ever heard. Michael Schenker, who has been in Scorpions twice (not to mention UFO in their prime) is another comparison. Michael's name is often brought up when guitarists who can master both emotion and technique is mentioned. Randy Rhoads is another, though losing him at an even younger age than SRV prevented us from seeing his mature phase.

Yeah, there are a lot of these kinds of guys out there - super fast fingers, can hit all the chords and notes, etc., but are missing that certain "something" that makes them truly great. Steve Vai is a good example.

I was once watching a youtuber who analyzes guitar work, and he made the point while analyzing Stevie Ray Vaughan that many guitarists can play fast and many can play with feel, but very few can do both at the same time.

Probably the best "technical" guitarist I've ever seen is Eric Johnson. Amazing, but personally I wouldn't go out of my way to see him or even listen to him.

Yeah, Eric Johnson, for all his great stuff, is just missing that certain "something".

For shredding, check out any G3 video (3 guitar legends on tour - Joe Satriani is usually one) .. here's one trailer from 2005

Now for something completely different (and much less disturbing than the last post). When the ice on lake Baikal gets down to about -20 it produces nice resonant tones.

Husker Du - the ONLY time 'husker' is fine with me.

Perhaps my favorite band in college.

Arguably my all time favorite band, and Bob Mould has been bringing it solo and in Sugar for three decades. He's had an Iggy Pop type of career.

Nobody, NOBODY topped Husker Du in concert. Maybe Black Flag. Vince Neil once said that Tommy Lee was "alway trying to get some cool band like Iggy Pop or Husker Du to open for them". Vince should be lucky that Tommy never got his wish, because Motley Crue would have stood no chance competing with Husker Du on stage.

Last edited:
Arguably my all time favorite band, and Bob Mould has been bringing it solo and in Sugar for three decades. He's had an Iggy Pop type of career.

Nobody, NOBODY topped Husker Du in concert. Maybe Black Flag.

I fucked up and missed a few opportunities to see em in IC, then they broke up.

I should go see Mould on his latest tour. Pretty certain there won't be a Botany mid-term I need to cram for. :rolleyes:

Husker Du - Eight Miles High. I think I heard this first on KUNI and was blown away.

I couldn't find it anywhere in IC, didn't think to ask the record clerk to special order it.

Lucky for me one roommate from Chicago picked it up for me on a trip home.

Still in the collection