Music Thread

Mellencamp was the headliner at the 2017 Mississippi Valley Fair in Davenport. They advertised him for months, and the crowds responded. The grandstand and mosh pits were packed. Absolutely packed. I took the more modest approach and sat in the grandstands. 24,000 people were in attendance.

People were truly stoked, including me, as I've been listening to him for years and years.

Then it all fell apart. He was 45 minutes late without an excuse. He then had his opening act go on and on and on, then he played for like an hour and all he did was new stuff. He also refused to do a meet n greet and didn't allow a video of his performance so people deeper in the crowd could see him.

After all this, I left..as did about 1/3 of the crowd. I had zero interest in spending another minute listening to this doofus although he finally played his old stuff. Screw him. He was awful and will never be invited back to that venue again.

Reminds me of others that I've met from Indiana. Just 100% ignorant arrogant hicks. I'm sure not all people from Indiana are that way, but its a convenient narrative for me.

Rory opened for Rush

Rory opened for Rush at Dubuque's Five Flags my high school senior year, which would have been 1982-83. It was on of those shows I have spent the rest of my life regretting having not seen.

In fact I've never seen Rush in concert, and probably never will now.

Neil Peart was, to put it mildly, an unusual rock star. You know what he would do if he had down time the day of a show? He would visit local art galleries. He would pack his bicycle on the tour bus and go on four hour rides into the countryside. If it was winter he might go cross country skiing on an old railroad trail.

He was known for keeping to himself on the road, sometimes even away from Alex and Geddy, and reading everything in sight. Alex and Geddy loved to meet the fans. Neil, a shy person by nature, avoided them, had no use for typical fan fawning and well meaning adulation. His line from Limelight, "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend", pretty much sums up his view of rock stardom.

He could express himself in written form, however. From his introspective lyrics to his novels, his work is Rich in detail and signposts of time and place. His first Ghost Rider novel, written just after he had lost his daughter and first wife and separate incidents ten months apart (and put the band on hiatus for five years) is riveting. Forget being a music fan, the first forty pages of that novel, dealing with grief and loss few could ever imagine, should be required reading for any married couple.

I may have posted this before, but oh well. This may be the best induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ... ever.

Primus videos suck too.

And most of them aren't cover tunes, but these are.

Candyman

The Devil Went Down To Georgia

Have a Cigar

Pure Imagination

Last edited:
Goth metal overlords, Type O Negative featuring the late Peter Steel. An intimidating presence at 6-8, but was a really nice guy according to Brooklyn neighbors and others that knew him. A SuperSize version of Alice Cooper I would say.

Summer Breeze

Cinnamon Girl

Christian Woman

My Girlfriend's Girlfriend

Buckethead is a rather interesting group.....

He has a ton of stuff out. Self publishes a lot of it. I tend to go for the highly melodic compositional pieces over the shredding. Pick and choose what I pieces I like.

He was part of the group Praxis in the 90's with Bill Laswell and Brian "Brain" Mantia and others. Brain introduced him to Les Claypool with whom he has worked extensively. He's done session work and collaboration on innumerable projects.

Water Drops

Track 1 - Pike 78 (unnamed)