Music Thread

Here goes.

Cindy Wilson was a goddess. And Kate Pierson was no slouch. Ricky Wilson was one of the few, if only, guitarist to eschew the two middle strings. Fred Schneider was a major influence on Black Francis of the Pixies, who in the last five years have popped up on approximately every third or fourth movie soundtrack. Keith Strickland left the drumseat behind after Ricky's tragic death in 1986, taking over his guitar duties.

This is the one I was looking for. Before they went to NYC.
Early 1978 live version of "Dance This Mess Around" Atlanta.
(You'll have to follow the link on this one.)

Last edited:

Sebastian went commercial and wrote the Welcome Back, Kotter theme song.
It became a #1 hit in 76.

Spoonful is best appreciated in a singles or compilation format. They didn't get on album format trend that the Beatles and Beach boys were heading toward. Spoonfuls place in history has been diminished by politics to an extent. I don't think the counter culture ever forgave Sebastian for ratting on his dealer.

Lovin' Spoonful Collection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuO7cd8zXZM

Vintage Cornell in an arrangement slightly sparser than most Soundgarden. Love the extended Stone Gossard jam on "Reach Down" which foreshadowed Pearl Jam. "Call Me a Dog", song five on the CD, is an absolute tearjerker. The whole damn CD has aged better than much of Pearl Jam or Soundgarden and is pretty much a masterpiece. And now Chris is gone. And who knows what that direction that scene would have taken if Andrew Wood hadn't passed away and inspired TOTD in the first place. He lived for the spotlight. And loved to be a star. And was a glam, not grunge rocker. His brother Brian carried on some of his legacy in a Soungarden's side band called Hater, featuring Ben Shepherd and Matt Cameron. Hater has more of a psychodelic garage feel than most Seattle area grunge bands. Superunknown's Shepherd songs "Head Down" and "Half" sound a bit like Hater.

Last edited:

Latest posts