Music Thread

Any Parrotheads here?

I'm getting ads on this site for his concert here in KC Saturday night.

70+ and still going strong!

Saw him in, I think, '86 at Poplar Creek. Which has apparently been closed for 20+ years. Sigh.

Styx with all of their tricks on this one ...

Crystal Ball is when Styx really started to arrive. It was their first album with A&M records and their first album with Tommy Shaw.
With all due respect to Dennis and J.Y., Tommy, from the instant he arrived, became the best singer, songwriter, and live performer in the band. Dennis holds his own on this record too, with Madmoiselle, Jennifer, and Ballerina, the latter being possibly the first song I ever slow danced to. The title track, however, is for me the clear highlight the album. This came out in late 1976 early 1977. The real glory days of Styx were just around the corner.

Live version of a song heard on the radio this morning ... bit of a guitar duel in this one.

One of the last gigs with original guitarist John Curulewski, who's usefulness in the band had just about run it's course. Tommy Shaw would soon come on board and Styx would become the band of legend soon thereafter. Monumentally huge during my middle/high school years, along with Boston, Van Halen, The Cars, ELO, JGeils, Billy Squier, REO, Foreigner, as well as prog bands like Pink Floyd and Rush, and bands like the Ramones, the Buzzcocks, the Clash, and Blondie.
EDIT: Tommy is in this video. He had apparently joined prior to Crystal Ball.

Last edited:
A few more street musicians.

Mr. Gunn & the Pistol Packen' Mamas

Good traditional clog dancer

Walking Cane - 13 strings and a two dollar bill

The Spoon Lady

Jesus on the Mainline

Last edited:
Any R.E.M./B 52's fans out there? I haven't seen a lot of love for those two bands on the thread. Great party bands during my mid 80's college years. Tragic loss when Ricky Wilson passed. Passed on them when they played in Dubuque around 2013 or so. Have kicked myself ever since. Mostly I can't let the thread slip off the first page. It's the football off season after all. Now I'm going to put on R.E.M. and crank up "Pretty Persuasion"

Latest posts