Music Thread

Probably the most popular Isley Brothers song to non-soul/R&B audiences of the 70's to present. What people don't know, if all they have heard is the AM version, is that Ernie closes this one out with some serious guitar playing, as well.

The singer in this Bishop-penned song (and the studio version) was Mickey Thomas.
He was subsequently offered a job singing with Starship.
One of the best make-out songs ever. As an aside, the woman back up singer has nice assets, so to speak.

Hell, yes, I remember ...The Vers. Their version of "Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll" was awesome. And as Iowa City bands (i.e., those who played IC frequently), they were as good as it got.

If you remember ...The Vers, you should also remember Freefall, Patriot, Akasha, The Ones, and of course at The Mill, Mr. greg brown. And of course, the reggae stylings of Tony Brown were always a treat!
I didn't start college until 1984. I remember bands like Voodoo Gearshift, Filler, The Pulse, Lyn Allen (who I believe still exists)
bar bands, dorm bands, heck of a time, those days.

Of the bands you mentioned, Freefall seems to ring the loudest bell.

One of those 70s songs you always remember the tune, can probably sing a a few words to it but for the life of you, have no idea who the artist is. ;)

The singer in this Bishop-penned song (and the studio version) was Mickey Thomas.
He was subsequently offered a job singing with Starship.
One of the best make-out songs ever. As an aside, the woman back up singer has nice assets, so to speak.

Would that that were Mickey's "redemption" song. Alas, he slid. A long way.

You look at how the lines between country and rock have been dulled over the years.

And I wonder how many of those bands would be considered country if they came out today.

Didn't Ambrosia cross over as it was? I know Exile and Toby Beau did.

I once saw Trace Adkins cover "So Into You" in concert.
I'm not sure how much crossover there was. Could be, though. I do know that Orleans crossed over into R&B a fair amount (or, were they R&B that crossed over to pop.....?).

How about this rare clip...
IMG_5966.JPG

Live at Carnegie Hall....one of my first albums ever.

Yeah, that's right. I went there.

Corny or not, several of these tunes flat out rock. :D
Can't go wrong with their first two albums. Solid and consistent.
Shout out to "Always On My Mind" and "Take Me To The Top" (Not Motley Crue's, that's a good song for a different post)
Lots of valuable collectables with those old gas pumps. A popular tavern in East Dubuque, the Club 26, displayed that stuff. There was lots of 50's and 60's memorabilia in there, Texaco signs and route 66 highway signs, stuff like that. His neighbor, Mint and Honey, was on the verge of being busted by State Marshall's when the neighbor attempted to destroy the evidence-by torching his own club. Unfortunately he destroyed the 26 and all that memorabilia and heavily damaged several others. This was in the mid nineties. It was the beginning of the end of Downtown East Dubuque as we once knew it.

Latest posts