Music Thread

Buckingham is one of the most underrated guitarists and composers in history, but he's also a pain in the ass.
He took a formula that was working (Eponymous, Rumours) and tried to be Brian Wilson, Phil Spector, and Roger Waters all rolled into one (Tusk).

It was the beginning of the end of their glory days. The raw emotional heat was replaced by bombast.

There was a conversation earlier in the thread about songs you where sure were by someone else. For a few years, I thought "Love is Alive" was Traffic.

This might possibly be my favorite relaxed pop song from the 70s. To me, it's one of those songs that, when it ends, you wish it would keep going. Great build-up to the chorus. Some very nice guitar licks and background vocals. It just has all the elements you look for from a sound standpoint.

Not quite Three Dog Night. Not quite Chicago, BS&T. But pure early seventies. We just lost Rob Grill about five years ago. They have a treasure chest of hits. "Wait A Million Years" was my fave.

There was a conversation earlier in the thread about songs you where sure were by someone else. For a few years, I thought "Love is Alive" was Traffic.
"Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks always sounded for the life of it like a whimsical, Rubber Soul Revolver era Paul McCartney song. Especially the atmospheric production.

Did you find them somewhat similar to Little River Band? Player had a few hits in the late seventies.

You're a bastard, you know:). I won't be able to get "Long Way There" out of my head for a week!

Did you find them somewhat similar to Little River Band? Player had a few hits in the late seventies.

You're a bastard, you know:). I won't be able to get "Long Way There" out of my head for a week!
Actually, you should be thanking me ... :cool:

A lot of the "soft rock" bands had a very similar sound, but, that's okay. It was/is good stuff when you're in the right mood.

Bands like LRB, ARS, Player, Ambrosia, Firefall, Orleans, etc.

Actually, you should be thanking me ... :cool:

A lot of the "soft rock" bands had a very similar sound, but, that's okay. It was/is good stuff when you're in the right mood.

Bands like LRB, ARS, Player, Ambrosia, Firefall, Orleans, etc.
You look at how the lines between country and rock have been dulled over the years.

And I wonder how many of those bands would be considered country if they came out today.

Didn't Ambrosia cross over as it was? I know Exile and Toby Beau did.

I once saw Trace Adkins cover "So Into You" in concert.

It would take at least twenty albums to compile my desert island list.

The last I heard that version of the song may have been 1982 or 1983.

The Love Rock, KFMD 93, was the rock station of my youth with a gentleman named Steve Sesterhenn as program director.

He was the first in the Dubuque Tri State Area to play:
Magic Man by Heart.
Just What I Needed by the Cars
More Than A Feeling by Boston
That version of Long Way There, which is my favorite version.
Countless obscurities and deep tracks to numerous to mention from the fertile late sixties/early seventies.

He even played The Vers on the radio. The Vers were a legendary bar band from Madison and Monroe Wisconsin who frequently played in Dubuque, Cedar Falls, and Iowa City. They made the Replacements look like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Some of you out there may have heard of them, or seen them. One of their songs, "New York's In Heat", would have held it's own with "My Sharona" on the radio. "Never Gonna Be That Old" would have fit in nicely on side two of the Cars debut. They disbanded around 1984 or so and unfortunately, the years haven't been kind to them. Their front man, diagnosed with bipolar disorder, had years of legal issues. Their second song mentioned was an omen. Only two of the original five are still with us. Give me a shout if you remember The Vers.

Hell, yes, I remember ...The Vers. Their version of "Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll" was awesome. And as Iowa City bands (i.e., those who played IC frequently), they were as good as it got.

If you remember ...The Vers, you should also remember Freefall, Patriot, Akasha, The Ones, and of course at The Mill, Mr. greg brown. And of course, the reggae stylings of Tony Brown were always a treat!

I recall that. I think Hendrix was being a bit modest and self-deprecating, but, regardless, Kath was a talent.

He actually told Walt Parazaider and Robert Lamm that backstage. He told them they were "outtasight" with their sound and, "Man, your guitar player is better than me", which suprised him since they obviously weren't a "guitar group".

Give these two FM tunes a listen. Post-Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer, and at the very end of the Danny Kirwan's time in the group. Welch had joined by then, and it was the album on which "Sentimental Lady" first appeared. For some reason, when doing the song solo, Welch omitted one of the verses, but kept the Christine McVie vocal riff.

Anyone remember this disco / beatles medley mash up\\

1.- introduccion
2.-funky town
3.-video killed radio all stars
4.-sugar (the archies)
5.-don't replay (the beatles)
6.-I'll be back "
7.-drive my car " "
8.-do you want to know a secret The beatles
9.-we can work it out " "
10.-should have known better " "
11.-nowhere man
12. you're gonna loose that girl
13.-cherry baby ?
14. braking up is hard to do
15. only the lonely
16.-yellow bikini
17.you can boogie, love disco, move the disco sound, move on your body spinning round and round,etc etc.

One word: Ugh!

Latest posts