Music Thread

When this album came out the rumor was that the Beatles had gotten together quietly and this was their work.

of course not...turned out to be a band from Canada

Some thought it was a supergroup, with the Beatles and Mick Jagger on the vocals. Nobody knew what was going on for a while.....

Album might be worth a bit of money as a novelty album

:cool:

Definitely minimalist, a little too minimalist for most. The strange video complements it. The subsequent studio version was a bit more developed, but I decided against posting the seizure inducing video.

Allan Vega sounds more like Lou Reed than Reed did. And heavily influneced the extreme arty end of The Cars. Songs like "Shoo-be-do" and "Getting Through". Ric Ocasek was a strong Lou Reed disciple, too. "Just What I Needed" was basically a rewrite of "Sister Ray" right down to simple steady drum beat and use of the phrase "time-time".

So many good points here it's hard to figure out where to begin to reply. Let's start with Peter Grant. He revolutionized the business end of rock and roll by making sure the bands and musicians got rich. This wasn't always the case, especially in a band's club days, Zeppelin no exception. Until Peter Grant entered the picture. Led Zeppelin never got ripped off by a promoter again and it also allowed them to concentrate on what they did best. Music.

Grant didn't stop there, or with the hit single vs album deal. He did not allow his band to be shown on Midnight Special, Don Kirschner, those kind of shows. If you wanted to see Zeppelin you were going to shell out $$$ to see one of their concerts. Or buy the albums. Or pay for "The Song Remains The Same" MTV was born a year after their demise. It would have been interesting to see if they would have done videos.

I was specifically talking "Houses of the Holy" when I talked about limited blues. One, two and Zoso are loaded with blues based songs. Folk song like "Gallow's Pole" and "Battle of Nevermore" are among their best. My all-time favorite Zeppelin is probably "Immigrant Song"

You mentioned that you wished fans would give some of their less exposed songs a chance. Absolutey true and I would say the same about Nirvana. Cobain's obscurities and B-sides are a treasure trove of wild riffs, melodic riffs, moody midtempo songs, tearjerkers, even Leadbelly covers. His version of Lead belly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" is absolutely chilling, especially after we learned of Kurt's fate. Mark Lanegan of Screaming Trees, with Kurt's help, does an even more frightening version of that song. People who only know Nirvana for "Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" would be pleasantly surprised.

There is a lot to listen out there gang. Sometimes you have to open your eyes to open your ears. And like Die Hard says, the correct stereophonic equipment doesn't hurt, either.
Ahh. Good. You had me a little worried there when you didn't see the Blues influence...:D

As for Nirvana, I have to admit, I haven't really listened to much of their lesser known tracks. I think part of it is that I personally just never really liked Cobain. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against rock stars being rebellious and a little reckless, and living life on the edge, but Cobain just had a little too much disdain for my taste. Probably what sunk it for me was the report that he was spitting on the crew while filming the video for Spirit. And, that wasn't an isolated incident. I get it ... he's mad at society and didn't like doing videos, but those people are just there doing their jobs, and that kind of behavior goes way beyond the angry rock star schtick. It's also why I abandoned GNR after Appetite. Rose has a lot of the same personality issues.

Edit: As for a favorite Zeppelin favorite, I honestly wouldn't be able to come up with it. Their artistry was so broad and complex. It would depend upon the day, the mood, etc. Fans who aren't that familiar with them should listen to the last greatest hits compilation (which has great sound, BTW), and take the time to let every track really sink in.

Last edited:
I have my head up may a.. about bands. When you said "Lake left" I thought of the Band Lake, which as it turns out did not have any members with that name

Not stuttering ... not too many groups have a song that has the same name as the band. :) Good live version with a drum solo in the middle and guitar solo at the end.

Not stuttering
... not too many groups have a song that has the same name as the band. :) Good live version with a drum solo in the middle and guitar solo at the end.

To name a few, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden.

The Sweet had a song named AC/DC.
Alice in Chains had one named Godsmack

Last edited:

Daryl Hall was one of those artists with unique talent, but again, sorta kinda ruined it for me by AM radio playing songs to death. This is a series about him bringing in current and past talent to play various hits, but much more acoustically. Two of favorites have been posted. Lots more to choose from...worth a look.

Latest posts