Music Thread

Dude could shred it. Eerily remeniscent of his late friend Tommy Bolin, another Iowa native who replaced him in the James Gang and Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple, but no pressure or anything.

A college roommate of mine from the Sioux City area had Tommy's solo stuff. It took my eleven years to find "Teaser". My search finally ended on State Street in Madison.

Private Eyes is Bolin at his best, IMO.

Songs where the short version(s) suck:

Jet Airliner (without Threshold) (and the weenie "kicks" version as well)
In a gadda da vida
Love to Love You Baby
Slow Ride
Free Bird
American Pie
Get Ready
Hocus Pocus

I'll be interested to see other opinions....

Roundabout
Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys
Won't Get Fooled Again
Long Time (without Foreplay)
Light My Fire (quite possibly THE worst "single" version of ANY song EVER)
My Sharona (the "full" version has that excellent guitar solo)

Rush had two decent debut albums, then caved in to record company pressure and released "Caress of Steel", which the band believes was their worst album. It didn't sell or generate a hit single either, and they were in danger if being dropped. Neil Peart talked about going back to work at his father's farm implement dealership. On their next album, Neil Alex and Geddy decided that if they were going down, it was going to be on their terms. Their next album almost made their record company want to throw up. But Rush stuck to their guns. And golly gee the record sold and expanded their audience. The record, of course, was 2112 in it saved their career. And I don't think they've topped it since, just my opinion. And we were spared the horror of one of the world's greatest drummers repairing wheat combines for a living!

There were some prime cuts on later albums, though, notably Xanadu (A Farewell to Kings) and Spirit of Radio (Permanent Waves). And album-wise, I'm kind of partial to "Fly By Night"

At least they got the large dressing room...but with Nigel gone, only thing they could do was "Jazz Odyssey"...
"Jazz Odessy" was a cross between poor man's Deep Purple and those old cans of paint that have been out in the garage since you moved into your house. Mick Schrimpton survived the tour but not the movie ending Japanese tour. Neither did his replacement, Joe "Mama" Beseer. Oh, those Spinal Tap drummers!

Latest posts