Music Thread

Did anyone ever have better pipes that Pete Rivera?

This could pique your interest, Diehard. Pete Rivera toured one summer in the mid 1990's with Jerry Corbetta and members of Blues Image and Iron Butterfly. So you had two and a half hours of hits from Blues Image, Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth and Sugarloaf. Gotta feeling that would have been right in your wheelhouse.

Sounds like it would have been a great show. I can't say I am a huge Rare Earth fan, per se, but I've just always been taken aback by Rivera's power vocals, especially early. He's just one of those singers that makes you turn and go, "what the..." when he really cuts it loose.

I have to admit, I'm not sure I have a "wheelhouse" so to speak. I'm all over the map within that era, depending upon mood. I can go from Elton John to Zeppelin to LRB to ELO to early Sabbath to disco to Supertramp in one afternoon and genuinely enjoy all of it. Admittedly, a little strange, but it's a fact.

Last edited:
Breaking developments at Camp Northside. Evidently I tried to kill off the lead singer of Mott the Hoople in an earlier post. Of course I know it was Ian Curtis who was the lead singer of Joy Division. But it got me thinking. How many British bands have a member named Ian? So far I've come up with:

Mott the Hoople
Joy Division
Echo & the Bunnymen
King Crimson
Foreigner (half British, same Ian as King Crimson)
Judas Priest
Deep Purple/Whitesnake
Spinal Tap (band manager)

That's just off the top of my head. Feel free to add to the list. And I'll try to get the facts correct before I post. Still tragic to lose Ian Hunter, I mean Curtis. That band was ready to break through in a big way. New Order carried on nicely in his memory.
Jethro Tull

Jethro Tull
i knew there would be one that would make me slap my palm to my forehead. Ian Anderson's been in the news; maybe it's their fiftieth anniversary. That's easier than some of the Ian's I did come up with.

Highlight of the aforementioned show was "Ride Captain Ride". Something always intrigues me about that song. It sounds like Joe Walsh would guest solo on other people's records once in a while (good example, "Thunder Island" by Jo Jo Gunne alumnus Jay Ferguson). The Blues Image song sounds like a Joe Walsh solo, even though he would have been in James Gang at the time.

Breaking developments at Camp Northside. Evidently I tried to kill off the lead singer of Mott the Hoople in an earlier post. Of course I know it was Ian Curtis who was the lead singer of Joy Division. But it got me thinking. How many British bands have a member named Ian? So far I've come up with:

Mott the Hoople
Joy Division
Echo & the Bunnymen
King Crimson
Foreigner (half British, same Ian as King Crimson)
Judas Priest
Deep Purple/Whitesnake
Spinal Tap (band manager)

That's just off the top of my head. Feel free to add to the list. And I'll try to get the facts correct before I post. Still tragic to lose Ian Hunter, I mean Curtis. That band was ready to break through in a big way. New Order carried on nicely in his memory.

This guy.

I few months ago I listened to Alan Parsons' I robot album....amazed that I still knew the lyrics and hooks after all these years... could it be that somebody else is looking into my mind......some other place....some where....some other time. ...(instrumental)

I came to like the Cure about 10 years after their hits. That's OK I guess.

Love the piano at the 2:10 mark

THis is an interesting (odd) cover of same song, withe the Cure guy in the audience

Last edited:
============================================

DEEP CUTS

=============================================

I believe the day the music died was when Buddy Holly's plane crashed.... February made me shiver... bad news on the door step...

.......while Lenin read a book by marx....... Bolshevik Revolution 1917 Russia.

the rest...I'll have to google or guess.

Latest posts