Music Thread

Without Threshold but with actual footage

With Threshold but no actual footage.

"Vintage" or "newer" version....which is your pick?
Sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago. Love it.
Love Steve Miller, but, unfortunately, this song was overplayed so much that now I really can't get into it as much as I used to. A lot of his tunes were overplayed, but, for whatever reason, this one just got kind of old for me. Kind of like Clapton's Layla or Boston's More Than a Feeling.

Love Steve Miller, but, unfortunately, this song was overplayed so much that now I really can't get into it as much as I used to. A lot of his tunes were overplayed, but, for whatever reason, this one just got kind of old for me. Kind of like Clapton's Layla or Boston's More Than a Feeling.
I heard ya on the "over played" thing.

I used to HATE the Eagles for example because AM radio played their stuff over and over and over....etc.

Until...I watched their Aspen reunion DVD...and became an instant fan. I could see what magnificent artists they really were.

I guess I can get over my AM-radio phobia, finally, after 40+ years ;)

Steve Miller played , and put on a great show, at the Jones County Fair a few years ago. Let me ask you. With that slick Hi-Tech sound and those classic guitar rhythms and version of laid back California that was part Eagles part Grateful Dead
is he type of musician you can imagine playing at a humid mosquito infested small town fair?

Some of Soungarden's best music came out well before the A&R roaches crawled into Seattle in 1992 and signed anyone with a guitar and an amp. On 1988's "Beyond The Wheel" he literally beats Robert Plant at his own game. You have to hear it to believe it.

The classic indie rock bands of the 80's tended to employ the DIY method popularized by Black Flag and the Minutemen. They drove their own van, made all their own booking arrangements, played before some of the smallest crowds you could imagine. They put records out on tiny labels. They didn't compromise when it came to their music or their careers. That may be why mainstream radio shunned them, and why bigger acts were reluctant to take them on as opening acts.

The grunge explosion changed everything, of course, but once again, change was everywhere in 1992 and not just music. Just look at who was elected president that year.

I'm not as familiar with Radiohead and I should be. They've done it their way every step and will be first ballot Hall of Famer next year. They have seemed to combine the best elements of U2 and Pink Floyd and make a sound all their own. I definitely should check them out more.

One "grunge" band that could have used broader appeal in the nineties was Screaming Trees. They have strong hints of 60's garage rock/folk and some psychodelics in their sound. They wouldn't disappoint fans of underground sixties bands.

Last edited:
Steve Miller played , and put on a great show, at the Jones County Fair a few years ago. Let me ask you. With that slick Hi-Tech sound and those classic guitar rhythms and version of laid back California that was part Eagles part Grateful Dead
is he type of musician you can imagine playing at a humid mosquito infested small town fair?

Some of Soungarden's best music came out well before the A&R roaches crawled into Seattle in 1992 and signed anyone with a guitar and an amp. On 1988's "Beyond The Wheel" he literally beats Robert Plant at his own game. You have to hear it to believe it.

The classic indie rock bands of the 80's tended to employ the DIY method popularized by Black Flag and the Minutemen. They drove their own van, made all their own booking arrangements, played before some of the smallest crowds you could imagine. They put records out on tiny labels. They didn't compromise when it came to their music or their careers. That may be why mainstream radio shunned them, and why bigger acts were reluctant to take them on as opening acts.

The grunge explosion changed everything, of course, but once again, change was everywhere in 1992 and not just music. Just look at who was elected president that year.

I'm not as familiar with Radiohead and I should be. They've done it their way every step and will be first ballot Hall of Famer next year. They have seemed to combine the best elements of U2 and Pink Floyd and make a sound all their own. I definitely should check them out more.

One "grunge" band that could have used broader appeal in the nineties was Screaming Trees. They have strong hints of 60's garage rock/folk and some psychodelics in their sound. They wouldn't disappoint fans of underground sixties bands.
You mentioned Dinosaur Jr earlier. That is a band that deserved WAY more accolades and recognition than it received, IMO. Very, very good stuff.

Still at it today, at least touring. J Mascis certainly another guy who knows his way around a fretboard. Came out of the same northeastern scene as Sonic Youth and the Pixies. All were at the top of their game in the spring/summer of 1988.

The Knack

A better band than I remember. Not sure what all the hate was about. And, I'll admit falling for it. Worth a second look.

Lot's of people had been doing similar stuff through the 70's, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmonds, Elvis Costello, Flamin' Groovies, Graham Parker, Brinsley Schwartz.

Frustrated

Not Fade Away
Good Girls Dont

She's So Selfish

My Sharona

Breaking developments at Camp Northside. Evidently I tried to kill off the lead singer of Mott the Hoople in an earlier post. Of course I know it was Ian Curtis who was the lead singer of Joy Division. But it got me thinking. How many British bands have a member named Ian? So far I've come up with:

Mott the Hoople
Joy Division
Echo & the Bunnymen
King Crimson
Foreigner (half British, same Ian as King Crimson)
Judas Priest
Deep Purple/Whitesnake
Spinal Tap (band manager)

That's just off the top of my head. Feel free to add to the list. And I'll try to get the facts correct before I post. Still tragic to lose Ian Hunter, I mean Curtis. That band was ready to break through in a big way. New Order carried on nicely in his memory.

Last edited:

Latest posts