Music Thread

Full disclosure: I liked Wham!

I now believe I may have relinquished any/all credibility I may have attempted to bring to this thread...
200w.webp

One could argue he did a lot of things in the 80s. "Rocking" wasn't one of them.
Yeah he started popping up in movie soundtracks as Raspberries loving baby boomer movie producers remembered their younger days. And you're right he wasn't rocking. But then after all these years Iggy Pop has never topped the stooges either.

Full disclosure: I liked Wham!

I now believe I may have relinquished any/all credibility I may have attempted to bring to this thread...
"Carless Whisper" was playing in every bar in downtown Iowa City in the Spring of 1985. Wham! probably signalled the beginning of the end for Duran Duran, who I didn't care for much. It may have also helped kill off British synth pop, which I loved. Also like bands like Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. who were moodier than most synth pop. RIP Ian Hunter. Very poor timing.

The 80's were the prime of my life, so to speak, so you would think that I would have fond memories of the music simply through association, but, I have to admit, I mostly don't (excluding the first 3 years or so).

Like any decade, there was good and bad, but, for me, it was mostly bad.

The 80's were the prime of my life, so to speak, so you would think that I would have fond memories of the music simply through association, but, I have to admit, I mostly don't (excluding the first 3 years or so).

Like any decade, there was good and bad, but, for me, it was mostly bad.
Bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Poison and Whitesnake were all OK. But bands like Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Husker Du and the Pixies wiped the floor with them. You had to listen to college radio to hear them, however. I was fortunate to be a college student in the mid to late 1980's when bands like the aforementioned Replacements would occasionally come through. The important thing, however, isn't that I was listening to these bands. The important thing is that members of Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins were.

Last edited:
"Carless Whisper" was playing in every bar in downtown Iowa City in the Spring of 1985. Wham! probably signalled the beginning of the end for Duran Duran, who I didn't care for much. It may have also helped kill off British synth pop, which I loved. Also like bands like Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. who were moodier than most synth pop. RIP Ian Hunter. Very poor timing.

The "New Romantic" and "synth pop" styles weren't particularly cohesive outside of the club music scenes in London and Birmingham. Many of the bands were reacting to similar blue eyed soul and electronic influences in David Bowie and Brian Ferry's music along with German synth pop.

I'm not sure either really disappeared. They got blended back into R&B, dance pop, electronica, and hip hop. There was less of it in rock, punk, new-wave music, in part because of a widespread anti-pop, anti-dance, anti-club music posturing in the rock & alternative scenes.

Bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Poison and Whitesnake were all OK. But bands like Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Husker Du and the Pixies wiped the floor with them. You had to listen to college radio to hear them, however. I was fortunate to be a college student in the mid to late 1980's when bands like the aforementioned Replacements would occasionally come through. The important thing, however, isn't that I was listening to these bands. The important thing is that members of Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins were.
I was in college the exact same time period. There was some good "underground" stuff that laid groundwork, but the notion of having to search that deep for it basically supports my point.

I came back around in the early 90's with the grunge/alternative movement, but not to the cult-like degree that many did (You weren't relevant unless you knew the details of every band in every Seattle basement, and also what Chris Cornell had for breakfast every morning...).

Radiohead, The Wallflowers and Toad all piqued my interest, and Bush's release of "Sixteen Stone" was big for me as well.

Without Threshold but with actual footage

With Threshold but no actual footage.

"Vintage" or "newer" version....which is your pick?
Sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago. Love it.

Latest posts