Music Thread

Future Lynard Skynard guitarist Ed King was in this group. He left and was fatefully replaced by Steve Gaines.
Ed King is one of those very under-appreciated musicians of that era. He excelled at just about everything - writing, composition, bass, rhythm guitar and lead guitar. Somewhat in the vein of John Paul Jones, one of those under-the-radar guys that actually was a secret weapon for his band.

Ed King is one of those very under-appreciated musicians of that era. He excelled at just about everything - writing, composition, bass, rhythm guitar and lead guitar. Somewhat in the vein of John Paul Jones, one of those under-the-radar guys that actually was a secret weapon for his band.
Excellent comparison. Ian McDonald in the early Foreigner days too. and Jerry Harrison in the Modern Lovers (?) and later Talking Heads. Even amongst all the debauchery, bands need a seasoned pro, or two, in the studio to keep things humming along. Even more than the Beatles, John Paul Jones may have been the best ever in that role.

Side note. On the surface Strawberry Alarm Clock and Lynard Skynard couldn't seem like two more different bands. But blues was always at base of all those swirling psychedelic organs (Iron Butterfly). And the fathers of heavy metal, Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi were simply expanding on the blues when they changed the course of music history. I'm not familiar with SAC's overall body of work, but I will guess that the riffs King was playing in that band weren't too far removed from the ones he was playing with Skynard.

Last edited:
I think there are pretty good odds that Gates got laid after every concert...

(Now defunct) Bill's Tap in East Dubuque was known for two things-footlong chili dogs and a record collection full of "deep tracks." You just brought back memories of late night grub food with "Mother Freedom" blasting out of the speakers.

Latest posts