Music Thread

Cream - Farewell Concert 1968 - BBC
The commentary is annoying to the point it pretty much ruins this.
It's pretty obvious BBC hadn't learned how to cover a rock concert.

Anybody into Floyd?

I love this album, which was released before they became overly commercialized, and this tune in particular. Great hook that carries you through the song, and some epic guitar work by Gilmour at the end.

I was too late to really see any of the 'Yes' lineups from the 70's. Graduated from high school in 81, and hadn't gone to rock concerts until 79, unless you count Beatlesmania. I had brother, 11 years my senior, that was a music major. He was into prog rock in the early 70's.
Ouch! Your older brother was into prog rock. Was it Emerson Lake or Palmer that made you want to smash his record player with a frying pan. How many thousands of times did you hear "Hold your head up" by Argent. I thought that stuff was okay but somewhat overplayed. But then I never had an older brother.

Damn! Some love today for pre Dark Side Pink Floyd. Keep it up guys. Shout out to Syd Barrett, the very definition of the term "tortured genius".
Yep. Barrett was a tragic figure to be sure. He was a great example of how mental illness can lead to both transcendent genius and inability to cope with the world at the same time.

Ouch! Your older brother was into prog rock. Was it Emerson Lake or Palmer that made you want to smash his record player with a frying pan. How many thousands of times did you hear "Hold your head up" by Argent. I thought that stuff was okay but somewhat overplayed. But then I never had an older brother.
Careful now. Like all genres, prog rock had some good and some bad. I still love a lot of it. I especially miss the emphasis on instrumental ability and innovation, though have to admit, some groups at times crossed the line into overly serious pompousness. What killed the movement more than anything was that they forgot that music is also supposed to be fun.

Could Kurt Cobain be considered the Syd Barret of the 1990's?
I'd have to think about that one. Cobain was more of a self-induced tragic figure, with his disdain for society combined with drug addiction (like so many dead rock stars), whereas Barrett was genuinely mentally ill with an inability to reconcile his mind with society, almost like some of the great painters such as Van Gogh.

I'd have to think about that one. Cobain was more of a self-induced tragic figure, with his disdain for society combined with drug addiction (like so many dead rock stars), whereas Barrett was genuinely mentally ill with an inability to reconcile his mind with society, almost like some of the great painters such as Van Gogh.

Barrett was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Cobain may well have been undiagnosed bipolar. Two very different disorders.

You're right. Excellent analysis on how Barrett and Cobain were tragic on very different levels and on how the pompous nature of prog rock became first it's calling card but ultimately the albatross that led to punk rock and other things. Very good job.

It was quite a variety of stuff. All sorts of music actually, just heavy on the prog rock. I was born in 63 so I was around 8 years old when I got introduced 70's rock. (Right around the age when I got introduced to Hawkeye football.) So I had an early exposure to all that goofiness. I also had the obligatory anti prog rock phase in the 80's and early 90's.

It was quite a variety of stuff. All sorts of music actually, just heavy on the prog rock. I was born in 63 so I was around 8 years old when I got introduced 70's rock. (Right around the age when I got introduced to Hawkeye football.) So I had an early exposure to all that goofiness. I also had the obligatory anti prog rock phase in the 80's and early 90's.
Same, except I never really went through the "anti" phase with any rock, or other music, from that era (c. '67 - '83). I just added different tastes for different moods, but I can listen to it all and enjoy it (depending on the specific tune).

You're right. Excellent analysis on how Barrett and Cobain were tragic on very different levels and on how the pompous nature of prog rock became first it's calling card but ultimately the albatross that led to punk rock and other things. Very good job.
Thanks.

Some of the "spin-off" was very good. A great example is ELO. I'm still hoping that they tour one more time, as I would love to see them in concert. Big, big fan. Other examples would include Boston, Styx and Rush.

Latest posts