Music Thread

Mellencamp was the headliner at the 2017 Mississippi Valley Fair in Davenport. They advertised him for months, and the crowds responded. The grandstand and mosh pits were packed. Absolutely packed. I took the more modest approach and sat in the grandstands. 24,000 people were in attendance.

People were truly stoked, including me, as I've been listening to him for years and years.

Then it all fell apart. He was 45 minutes late without an excuse. He then had his opening act go on and on and on, then he played for like an hour and all he did was new stuff. He also refused to do a meet n greet and didn't allow a video of his performance so people deeper in the crowd could see him.

After all this, I left..as did about 1/3 of the crowd. I had zero interest in spending another minute listening to this doofus although he finally played his old stuff. Screw him. He was awful and will never be invited back to that venue again.
In the interview, he basically bragged that he was difficult to get along with. At one point he said something like, "There's only room for one asshole in this band, and that's me."

That would be kind of funny if he was being a little facetious ... but he wasn't.

He also got political and said that democracy "doesn't work." I'm not sure what he would offer as an alternative.

I haven't looked back, but I'm not sure Van Morrison has been brought up.

"Into the Mystic" should be on everyone's playlist.

The European Dylan. I havent looked back but I think Duke has brought him up.

Im trying to think of some bands who have not been represented well on our thread, who could use a little more love. J Geils immediately came to mind. I'm sure you and a few others could come up with other bands and singers.

Earth, Wind and Fire is another.

Or how about the band considered the greatest of all time? I don't think we've seen one Beatles tune:

My favorite Beatles period was Rubber Soul/Revolver, which includes my favorite John and Paul tunes respectively (Rain and Paperback Writer.released as singles only).

Paul was pushing John with every successive song, George was coming into his own, the guitars were were getting thicker, the harmonies were top notch, they hadn't been affected by substances yet, and they were still very much a BAND.

Taxman is my favorite George Harrison song and came out of this period as well. Here, There and Everywhere still makes grown men weep.well before George's guitar ever did

Last edited:
Interestingly, started by Eric Burdon.

Burdon suggested the name "War". The band had been kicking around L.A. since the early 60's under various names. I think it was Burdon's producer that found them and suggested a collaboration.

Last edited:
My favorite Beatles period was Rubber Soul/Revolver, which includes my favorite John and Paul tunes respectively (Rain and Paperback Writer.released as singles only).

Paul was pushing John with every successive song, George was coming into his own, the guitars were were getting thicker, the harmonies were top notch, they hadn't been affected by substances yet, and they were still very much a BAND.

Taxman is my favorite George Harrison song and came out of this period as well. Here, There and Everywhere still makes grown men weep.well before George's guitar ever did
It's odd.

As great as the Beatles were, I rarely go out of my way to listen to them, and, with some tunes, I genuinely cringe due to the years of repetition (i.e., "Hey Jude"). I much more inclined to listen to some of the solo work. George had some great stuff before pharmaceuticals took their toll. Here's one of my favorites of his:

It's odd.

As great as the Beatles were, I rarely go out of my way to listen to them, and, with some tunes, I genuinely cringe due to the years of repetition (i.e., "Hey Jude"). I much more inclined to listen to some of the solo work. George had some great stuff before pharmaceuticals took their toll. Here's one of my favorites of his:

Ive tried to be into Lennon's solo career and just can't. His first two releases were rants at fame and at Paul. It wasn't till Mind Games that i felt he really got his bearings.

Paul had a nice run, peaked with "Juniors Farm".

George had some nice moments, may have been the most consistent Beatle in the early seventies before Paul formed Wings.