Music Thread

It's heartening to see young artists embrace classic rock principles. Cool stuff.

Speaking of drumming, I ran across this a year or so ago. It breaks down in detail what made John Bonham exist on another level. Really interesting stuff.

The second drummer from Ningen Isu approached that technical level. He's the same drummer as the one on the King Crimson covers.

Not many in rock on Bonham's technical level. Quite a few in jazz. Kind of a shame the Jazz scene died back so much. It's still there. The only good thing about it, is the remainder pretty much do what they please. The commercial industry isn't at all interested one way or the other.
It's hard to compare across genres, but, if he were alive, I think Bonham would be the first to agree with this.

What separates him though, was his unique ability to combine the subtle jazz and funk elements with the power required for a band like Zeppelin. I'm not sure we will ever see another like him. The closest I've seen probably is Mike Portnoy.

watch

Last edited:
It's hard to compare across genres, but, if he were alive, I think Bonham would be the first to agree with this.

What separates him though, was his unique ability to combine the subtle jazz and funk elements with the power required for a band like Zeppelin. I'm not sure we will ever see another like him. The closest I've seen probably is Mike Portnoy.

watch

I'll have to check some of his stuff out.

Just saw it on the Rolling Stone website. Thank God they got inducted into the rock and roll Hall of Fame while he was still alive to enjoy it.

This is why they have to stop dicking around and get deserving groups into the Hall before most or all of the members have to be inducted posthumously. Styx wouldn't be a bad place to start.

RIP Ric - great producer as well with Weezer and The Killers. "You're All I've Got Tonight" might be my favorite song ever and "Drive" (even though he doesn't sing it) is probably one of the best/most iconic songs ever written.

Latest posts