Music Thread

Not a bad band actually. Still think Robert Smith should consider some lighter colored clothing and decorum. And use a damn comb every once in a while.

Agree completely. Not my kinda dudes, but loved the music.

AFI does a pretty good cover of Just Like Heaven...i posted in this thread somewhere... They're equally odd

One Million MotherFuckers apparently enjoyed the Stones at Copacabana Beach in Rio

I have seen quite a few bands from 1967 to 1969 at the Fillmore, Winterland and the Avalon in San Francisco and have seen the Stones on every tour since 1969 at Oakland which cost $10. The Fillmore and Winterland cost $3. Saw Cream's first US appearance, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Dead and countless other bands for $3 and received a free poster for the following weeks show.....

Whizzer White who ran Music Circuit Productions is a personal friend and gave me free tickets to any show I wanted to see: The Who, Phish, etc. He would set up stages at concerts all over the USA. One time they were outside Pittsburgh and erected the stage for The J Giels Band. The concert promoter told Whizzer that he couldn't pay him for erecting the stage, thought he would stiff the rubes from Iowa, Whizzer went to Jimmy Mac and Little Mike, who was a Forestero and told them to take the stage down. They immediately went to the stage and started ripping 4X8 sheets of plywood from the stage. J Giels was playing at the the tme and were looking around like: What the F is Going On.
Jimmy tapped Peter Wolf on the arm and said: Excuse me, Peter. The audience didn't know what was happening. Jimmy and Little Mike were tossing the sheets right in front of the stage. The people had to jump out of the way. Whizzer also had 2 men with bolt cutters ready to sever the steel cables holding the backdrop when he gave the signal. The asshole promoter immediately found the cash and appologized profusely for his sleight.....

The Stones have been my favorite to watch live. Going to really enjoy the Denver concert. Haven't seen them in Colorado since Boulder a few years ago.....

:cool:

Last edited:
Blues ...

I completely forgot about that one. For starters, that's not Rik Emmett singing, that's the drummer Gil Moore trying to do some semblance of a Robert Plant impersonation. Emmett is channeling his inner Jimmy Page. My favorite song off this one was, of course "Lay It On The Line", definitely a Rik Emmitt vocal. Their commercial peak, and ubiquity on MTV, were just ahead.

A rare find for me.....live. Great song.

SL toured with the likes of Eric Burdon and War, Deep Purple and The Who.

Jerry Corbetta rocked a real Hammond Organ....no synthesizer for these guys.
Jerry, along with Peter Rivera of Rare Earth and members of Iron Butterfly and Blues Image, played a concert in Dubuque in the 1990's as part of a supergroup. Obviously they played both those songs but the highlight was Blues Image "Ride Captain Ride" featuring an outstanding Joe Walsh style guitar solo.

I completely forgot about that one. For starters, that's not Rik Emmett singing, that's the drummer Gil Moore trying to do some semblance of a Robert Plant impersonation. Emmett is channeling his inner Jimmy Page. My favorite song off this one was, of course "Lay It On The Line", definitely a Rik Emmitt vocal. Their commercial peak, and ubiquity on MTV, were just ahead.

Emmett is still at it ... from a different perspective

Some bands have a sound and it permeates every thing they do ...and for a casual observer you don't realize that there are 2 or more different songs. This guy was a pretty good vocalist.

ps. I think Scothawk used one of these in a video once upon a time.

I for one am stoked.

You won't find a better live show out there, in my opinion.

Oh I don't hate Tool, I am also not a HUGE fan. I know some of their essentials from the MANY MANY MANY musicians I know and play with that LOVE them. They've never been vocally driven enough for my tastes and after a while I get bored with them. I still understand that immense talent they possess and I love heavy music. So, they got some stuff I enjoy. That said, try and find me 1 line cook who isn't out back of his establishment having a smoke in his TOOL t-shirt and I'll call you a f'n liar!

Some bands have a sound and it permeates every thing they do ...and for a casual observer you don't realize that there are 2 or more different songs. This guy was a pretty good vocalist.

ps. I think Scothawk used one of these in a video once upon a time.
The Outfield were a typical mid 80's band in the same mold with Europe, the Hooters, Glass Tiger and Wang Chung. Catchy choruses, mini anthems. But the singer did have a distinctive voice. It was similar to Sting of the Police.

At Busch Stadium last Friday evening they played, "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by JC in its entirety when the Astros changed picthers. Was awesome. For some folks maybe not so much. Just kind of shocked me.

Latest posts