Music Thread

Oh I don't hate Tool, I am also not a HUGE fan. I know some of their essentials from the MANY MANY MANY musicians I know and play with that LOVE them. They've never been vocally driven enough for my tastes and after a while I get bored with them. I still understand that immense talent they possess and I love heavy music. So, they got some stuff I enjoy. That said, try and find me 1 line cook who isn't out back of his establishment having a smoke in his TOOL t-shirt and I'll call you a f'n liar!
Other T-shirt choices for line cooks on smoke breaks;

Sublime
Rage Against The Machine
Slayer
Pantera
Five Finger Death Punch
PopEvil
Alterbridge
Nonpoint
Bobaflex
Theory Of A Deadman

Some bands have a sound and it permeates every thing they do ...and for a casual observer you don't realize that there are 2 or more different songs. This guy was a pretty good vocalist.

ps. I think Scothawk used one of these in a video once upon a time.

More popular in the US than the UK, the OF was part of the "second British invasion" of the US music scene in the mid 80s.

They were a very decent band, but got caught up in midst of other second invasion bands such as Boy George, A Flock of Seagulls, The Human League, Joe Jackson, Tears for Fears, and the king kong sound of the day, Duran Duran.

Good band. Bad timing.

Last edited:
More heavy duty Japanese Metal.(Ningen Isu - The Human Chair)

Gals in the front row (In front of the bass player) getting a little more than they paid for.

Band-Maid

Thrill - Video composition - Live audio from 2015

Play - London June 2019

Choose Me - London 2018

Onset - San Francisco 2018

Last edited:

From my favorite album of RS's...."Smiler"

Some material for Smiler was written by George Young...older brother of Angus and Malcolm.

"Let me Be Your Car" was written by Elton/Bernie specifically for RS.

Last edited:
why is it that I want to sleep with the whole band......damn, they can jam and their hot!

They first turned up in my YouTube playlist about two years ago. I was just starting to look into Japanese rock. Mostly old 60 & 70 stuff. For whatever reason they came up.

My first thought was. "Oh, what an obvious schtick", fully expecting them to be some sort of obvious joke. There are a lot of girl bands in Japan. A few are very good. Most pretty average to bad, like any other scene.

First thing I noticed was the drummer and base player were exceptional technical musicians, the lead guitarist is rock solid as well. The other funny thing I noticed was the crowds that first noticed them at their Japanese concerts were predominantly older foreign metal fans hanging out in Japan to see the bands. You would see comments like "We came to see the cute Japanese chicks, we stayed because they kicked ass." I had a good laugh at the backs of all the balding heads up in the front rows, saying to myself, "Why the hell are you watching this on Youtube."

I didn't stay for long the first time through around though. Than last fall a bunch of stuff started showing in the Youtube feed. What happened was they had officially released two extended concert films. They live stuff was quite a hit A lot of amateur stuff started showing up too. Frankly, I preferred the raw concert stuff over the post processed stuff. These chicks might well be the best live under 30 metal/hard rock band going right now. Buy the way, they write most of their own material, the lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist are the primary writers.

Note: It's the rhythm guitarists band. She is squirrels on speed up there, and is the personality behind the band. She's a bit of a nutcase. She was the original lead singer that formed the band. Once the band started to go in the direction of hard rock, she decided her munchkin-like voice wasn't going to carry the band. She hired a better lead singer, and switched to backup vocal. The record company put a guitar in her hands for some promo concerts and had her bang on it and clap hands while singing. She decided if they were going to put a guitar in her hands she was going to learn to play the damn thing. 41/2 years later, she's not half bad. It's just the last year that she's good enough that they've brought her up in the live mixes. She'll never have the polish the other three instrumentalists have, but she's definitely is part of the sound. (She's also the only one that will make mistakes and punk it up. The other three sound almost too clean for the type of music they are playing.)

Don't get too excited. They are all in their mid-twenties. No, they don't look it. The bass player who looks to be the oldest is actually the youngest, at 24.

Last edited:
why is it that I want to sleep with the whole band......damn, they can jam and their hot!

This is a drum demo from 2013, right around when the band was shopping around for a base player. It's a cover of a Japanese speed metal band. Not sure what I think about the rest of the song, but the drumming here is fantastic. Blows away the original. Not sure she was even out of music school at this point.

Note; It's not the style they settled on.

Last edited:
It's heartening to see young artists embrace classic rock principles. Cool stuff.

Speaking of drumming, I ran across this a year or so ago. It breaks down in detail what made John Bonham exist on another level. Really interesting stuff.

Last edited:
I do remember the first time I heard Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers. I was in SF visiting friends, Ken and Carol, Ken had a Masters from the Writers Workshop. We were walking around on a sunny day and went into a record shop on Haight St. Tom Petty's first album was playing and I had to ask the owner who it was. He told me and said that everyone was buying the LP. It was an immediate hit. I, of course, purchased it and still have it.....

After that, we were walking around the DT area and went by the TransAmerica Pyramid under construction. I mentioned that it would be nice to take the workers elevator up to the top to catch the view. We went in, immediately walked to the elevator hit the button for the top floor available. Got out and enjoyed the impressive view. Nobody questioned us at all. We were a bit surprised.....

Transamerica-Pyramid-under-construction-San-Franc_art.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
It's heartening to see young artists embrace classic rock principles. Cool stuff.

Speaking of drumming, I ran across this a year or so ago. It breaks down in detail what made John Bonham exist on another level. Really interesting stuff.

Not many in rock on Bonham's technical level. Quite a few in jazz. Kind of a shame the Jazz scene died back so much. It's still there. The only good thing about it, is the remainder pretty much do what they please. The commercial industry isn't at all interested one way or the other.

Well, time to repost this thing. My favorite video for all the wrong reasons.
No it's not Billy Squire's physique.

I wonder what happened to the guy that produced this. People have been shot for far less. Very strange video.

Latest posts